PDA

View Full Version : 20v/16v pulley difference? Is there any?

haydenz
2nd May 2011, 07:56 PM
Hey there,

I'm looking at a set of lightweigh water pump / crank / alternator pulleys and wondering if there is any difference between the 20v and 16v models? I'm gathering there is but I thought I would just check to be 100%

Are there any con's to getting a set of these? and for moneys sake are they worth it?

Cheers

70XIN
2nd May 2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah, between RWD and FWD motors - because a RWD water pump is bigger (and sticks further out) it has a different offset pulley.

haydenz
2nd May 2011, 10:03 PM
Thank you seamus

meadan
2nd May 2011, 10:19 PM
Ive fitted the same lightweight pulleys to fwd and rwd engines? Neither have chewed through belts or anything.

70XIN
2nd May 2011, 11:01 PM
don't take offence meadan, but i don't really see how that's possible - the offset difference between RWD vs. FWD water pumps/pulleys is enough that it would/should kill belts or at least make HEAPS of noise.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/6/68750.jpg

meadan
3rd May 2011, 06:13 AM
no offence taken, that picture is really quite obvious.

Sam-Q
4th May 2011, 12:27 AM
I really wonder about the gains of these pulleys. What I am pretty confident in because of someones experiences on here is that over about 8000RPM the stanard speed water pump cavitates.

timbo
4th May 2011, 01:19 AM
less rotating mass? i bought a set cheap a while back but need the front of a fwd pump then a themo fan setup... also need to tap some holes in the harmonic balancer for easier pulling off. main reason i bought them was the fact it has a single row balancer.

Sam-Q
4th May 2011, 01:26 AM
less rotating mass? i bought a set cheap a while back but need the front of a fwd pump then a themo fan setup... also need to tap some holes in the harmonic balancer for easier pulling off. main reason i bought them was the fact it has a single row balancer.

Having the weight that close to the crank would have a very small effect. Also if the keyway part of the pulley fails the key can curl out and stop the cams spinning, so pray your engine is non interference if it happens- which it did to me twice. I suggest a simple steel ring on the inside of the pulley for anyone doing this

timbo
4th May 2011, 02:14 PM
what where your balancers made out of sam?

and surely it would make some difference, a flywheel is as close to the crank and people swear by light weight versions of those (yes, i understand it is larger but the principle is the same).

SHEPPO3930
4th May 2011, 04:51 PM
As SamQ said, the light weight pulleys will have a small effect, but the biggest gains are from undedriving the accessories with different diameter pulleys.

AE092
5th May 2011, 02:45 AM
If someone was to with lightweight pulleys, what brand(s) would you recommend? Has anyone had first-hand experience with them? Going to be building up another 16v soon so thought may as well change the pulleys while it's getting built