PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think of these proposed laws?

McLEVIN
13th May 2011, 12:54 PM
a couple of car related news in todays paper....one is the proposal to icrease the driving age to 18? and the removal of rego stickers..(more revenue raising from our govt. IMO)http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226054619244 (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/road-safety-minister-tom-kenyon-backs-lifting-driving-age-to-18/story-e6frea83-1226054619244)
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/end-of...-1226054948921 (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/end-of-rego-stickers-holds-risk-for-drivers/story-e6frea6u-1226054948921)

Slimer86
14th May 2011, 01:01 AM
Don't use rego stickers in WA. Not when I was there earlier in the year in Kalgoorlie.
I think it came in over there sometime mid to late last year.

sam2306
14th May 2011, 01:08 AM
They will never be able to raise the driving age to 18, the unions wont allow it as it would cause people who
Leave school before the age of 18 not be able to get an apprenticeship due to the lack of
License, cant drive to and from jobs, cant test drive cars etc..... It would also make public transport overfull no doubt

Brass Munky
14th May 2011, 06:49 PM
Havn't they allready approved the No Rego Stickers thing. Thats not a bad thing, nor a good thing. We all know what it will increase, Its not a revenue raising thing, because if they arn't issuing them anymore, can't fine you for not having one, or having old ones on the car....

slidekid
16th May 2011, 08:50 AM
I have my licence already so dnt really care about that.
but the rego sticker thing is anoying because i work in a car dealership & will have to check if every customers car is regod.

takai
16th May 2011, 02:04 PM
No stickers will be annoying when travelling interstate too.

Slimer86
16th May 2011, 07:33 PM
The hardest thing about no rego stickers is that at a roadside RBT, it will take a lot longer to check the vehicle registration status than a quick glance to see the big number printed on the sticker. =o(

Arch
16th May 2011, 08:08 PM
The hardest thing about no rego stickers is that at a roadside RBT, it will take a lot longer to check the vehicle registration status than a quick glance to see the big number printed on the sticker. =o(

meaning more time for sussing out any mods on the car and thus more defects and more angry arch

Slimer86
17th May 2011, 10:14 PM
meaning more time for sussing out any mods on the car and thus more defects and more angry arch

+1
Thats sort of the thing I was implying. > =o(

svenmate
19th May 2011, 06:14 PM
Saw this on facebook. Who else is keen?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/motorists-slugged-for-defects/story-fn6bqpju-1226058563895

sam2306
19th May 2011, 10:29 PM
we being the general public, not limited to the car scene,
should start a committee called FTP...i have no doubt that people will hop on board

Mr Awsome
20th May 2011, 10:20 PM
what about the new on the spot defect fines? $120 for minor $250 for major, now thats bullshit.

ae8zn6
21st May 2011, 12:17 AM

They've already got cameras they dump like 100-200m up the road from themselves and in that time it will check if the car is registered/stolen/whatever so they can pick you up then and there...

not saying it wont be used as an excuse, but I doubt its actually an issue

Bonsai
5th June 2011, 01:35 AM
With the new technology you may even be less likely to be pulled over if the car is regoed. The cameras can scan i think like 5 numberplates in one second.

LukeKE11
5th June 2011, 09:24 AM
what about the new on the spot defect fines? $120 for minor $250 for major, now thats bullshit.

totally rad hey, giving someone with zero mechanical knowledge the ability to cost you hundreds merely on suspicion of defect.

Will they undergo further training to increase mechanical knowledge - NO WAY

Will they make more instant cash from this effort - OF COURSE

Bonsai
5th June 2011, 10:05 PM
Raising the age of drivers is not the solution. Driver education is seriously lacking and THIS is the problem! I was recently in nearly a head on collision at an intersection because a young girl thought a green light meant she had the right of way to cross over the intersection, even though I was traveling in a straight line through it. After she had written off both of our cars she scramed at me that she had the right of way, she then argued this with a Police officer who attended.
Who are the people that are issuing these people with drivers lisences in the first place??

Young people aren't the total issue, most of our parents just paid to get their lisences without much or any testing. The amount of middle aged people who have no idea how to use a two lane roundabout is terrifying. If you want to cut the amount of traffic accidents there needs to be manditory re-testing courses every 10 years and more frequently after the age of 70.

Frak
5th June 2011, 10:27 PM
Driver education is THE big problem....or lack of it! Also police enforcement of drivers skills.....again or lack of it. EVERY drive I go on I see countless acts of stupidity, even the f*ck knuckle that pulled out of a sidestreet without even looking into the side of my car! tailgaters, people not indicating, I could go on, yet the police enforce defects etc there has to be a serious change in the attitude of Adelaide drivers(which I consider the worst in the country).

The problem I see with young people and modern cars is this, when you see an accident on the news involving a near new car and a young driver it is usually always catastrophic, in that the car is completely and utterly f*cked! I believe it has to do with a number of factors but this in particular, when I learnt to drive the cars were slow, even a modified car was very slow in comparison to a modern standard new commodore or falcon, my skill level was also low, so my cars would slide/lose grip at low speeds etc, the gap between my skill level and the level of the car were close, but nowadays the ability of the car is substantially different, the skill level of the young driver is about the same I had, but they now have a car with ABS, DSC, TRAC CONTROL etc etc, and when the car does exceed it's limits THERE IS NO HOPE of the driver getting it back.

Keep watching the news and watch for accidents involving younger drivers and near new cars(few years old) the accidents are nearly always catastrophic, cars completely ripped in two or not even identifiable.

but typical of our police/government they keep enforcing harsher and harsher fines without actually addressing the problem, they keep pushing an agenda that has proven to not work, for the last 30 years or so they keep pushing the same mantra and it's NOT working, time to have a re think.

Bonsai
5th June 2011, 11:08 PM
Driver attitude is another massive issue. Speaking in generalities IMO: Women don't know the rules but drive like they're always right, Men know the rules yet choose to disregard them.