dogan
16th June 2011, 01:32 AM
Car - AE86 ADM Sprinter

motor - Smallport 4AGE

use - driving

problem - no power to starter

occurs/started when - today

personal situation (if applicable)-

So i finally thought i had ironed out all the bugs from my ADM Sprinter converted to smallport, so i took it to get an exhaust fitted, drove it to the shop without any faults other than it being too loud :DD

Got a call from the guy this morning saying he started it, tested the exhaust, turned it off, and then when he went to start it again it wouldnt.

So went there, everything looked in place, just like it was when i left the car.
Turns out theres no power going to the starter motor. It started up perfectly fine when we put a cable straight from the positive terminal on the battery straight to the starter motors plug. With the key set to ignition, everything else also got power, coil, injectors, ignitor, fuel pump etc..

So i drove the car home like this, felt real good i must say! Was definately worth the last month of sleepless nights!
While driving though, i realized that the battery charge lamp wouldnt turn off, so i think the alternator wasnt getting power either?

Once i got it home, i took shit apart and well,, turns out there IS power at the coil, ignitor, injectors, fuel pump, whatever is hooked up to the relays through the ignition wire works..

Then i went to the Starters signal cable, the thick black with white traced cable which is housed in the big plug on the firewall from the standard 4AC engine loom.. when the keys set to Ignition theres no power coming through..

So i thought id try another ignition switch, mine felt pretty shit, so it was an excuse to change it for another anyway. Still the same crap.

There is power going to ST2, but not to ST1

The headlights work, i thought the parkers worked, turns out they dont.

All the fuses are good, none are blown. When i try cranking it over, some relays near or inside the fuse box click, so im guessing their good.

Ive got the battery on charge now,

Ive tapped into ST1 for the fuel pumps COR, is that right?

What have i wired up wrong for this crap to happen? It amazes me as to why itd suddenly quit giving power to the starter..

Got a little tease of a drive today, and i want more! haha so ye, ill try anything!

Sam-Q
16th June 2011, 01:44 AM
the starter only gets power when in the start position?

dogan
16th June 2011, 02:12 AM
lol ye, the starter gets no power when in the START position! haha the word ignitions been used too much today :p

So basically theres no power going to the firewall plug which houses the starters wire when the key is in the START position!

Sam-Q
16th June 2011, 02:15 AM
Ha! all good, ok try this, unplug the wire off the starter and check for voltage on that wire with someone holding it in start then- I suspect something.

dogan
18th June 2011, 02:01 AM
i got a cheap multimeter but it sucked ass, so i just went through all the wires leading to the AM1 fuse, im not sure what i did but it worked :)

Gave it a good ol test round the block a dozen times and all was well!

Thanks anyway Sam!