PDA

View Full Version : washed engine now struggles to run and won't rev past 3000rpm? I've already tried afew things

bams_keto
17th June 2011, 07:01 PM
Hey guys,

I went to the car wash on tuesday to wash my 86 and while i was there i used the engine cleaner spray and washed all the dirty and oil off the engine(4age) then gave it a light rinse with water.

After i finished washing the car i jumped in it and tried to start it and it ran for about 1 second then stalled so i got out and had a look and there was water in the valley where the spark plug are so i rang a mate and he came up with a spark plug tool and i cleaned all the water up and took the plugs out and cleaned them. I also crank the engine with no plugs in it to get rid of any water that could of went down there. I put the plugs back in and the car started but didn't idle well so i dicided to get the car home and as i started driving the car it would not go past 3000rpm and ran like shit.

I though it was the leads that were farked so stop off at a mates place on the way and tried his leads, coil and new spark plugs and also took the dizzy cap off and had a look for water but it was dry. The engine just started again and could barely drive it home which was only 3 mins down the road and still couldn't rev past 3000rpm and when it hit 3000rpm it felt like it was hitting limiter and just poured out smoke.

I left it for everything to dry out till this afternoon and put new plugs in it again because the new ones i put it in at my mates where black and the engine didn't want to start with them. New plugs went in and the engine started again but couldn't rev past 3000rpm again and poured smoke. Also reset the ecu so it was hopefully in limp mode but didn't work.

Struggling to understand the problem and wanted to see if anyone has had the same problem or if you guys have any advance for me?

Thanks very much
Stephen

Nikkojoe
17th June 2011, 07:23 PM
check map sensor operation:
-map line to manifold (for damage)
-connector for shorts due to water
-water in the map sensor (highly doubt)

It's in limp mode, a vital component failure such as map sensor can cause this. Check other things like dizzy, coil and ignitor.

Sam-Q
17th June 2011, 07:36 PM
water down the spark plug tubes/valley

Pidgey
17th June 2011, 07:44 PM
This sounds like a typical sensor issue.
Water may have leaked into the CAS unit or MAP sensor (what Nikkojoe said).
Buy a new dizzy and CAS from the wreckers, put it in, see what happens. If it's not that then it will be 99% MAP sensor, or (rarely) the oxygen sensor in the exhaust.

Sam-Q
17th June 2011, 10:41 PM
I still think it might be a bit of leftover water, pull the plugs off and leave them off overnight with the central cover off.

BLIPAE86
17th June 2011, 11:49 PM
i done this a while ago and i checked the dizzzy cap and no water but still went like shit so i sprayed it with wd40 or crc any thing thats a water dispersant in the dizzy left it for about 30 mins then went like new i suggest that

If it works dont spray you engine with water.

john84ie
17th June 2011, 11:59 PM
happened me before,i used a air line in around the plugs and left for a day and was all sweet

motorculture
18th June 2011, 12:22 AM
suggest you get a air blower and blow the sh***t out of the spark plug gallery

and every sensor , plug, injector you think water may have gotten into.

bams_keto
18th June 2011, 12:29 AM
thanks guys for the info, i will try all that tomorrow and see if it works.

bams_keto
18th June 2011, 01:27 PM
alright, i tried afew things this morning,

Used a mate's working map sensor
Cleaned out and left to dry the spark plug tubes like sam q said
Cleaned and dried out dizzy cover

Still have the same problem but, I'm going down to repco now and getting a new fuel filter just incase it wasn't something stupid like that. I've also got a video of it running and i'll load that up.

Anymore ideas?

sundee
18th June 2011, 02:50 PM
if the car will run, let it idle for a while, keep the bonnet shut and let the heat evaporate all the water...then take it for a drive in low gear, this has happened to me a few times and that what i did to fix it.

bams_keto
18th June 2011, 03:30 PM
i already did that joel to get the car home. The engine was at its normal temp and drive it home but still would not go over 3000rpm.

bams_keto
18th June 2011, 03:37 PM
theres the vid

bams_keto
18th June 2011, 03:38 PM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150218890715690

Nicko
18th June 2011, 06:00 PM
If it runs, let it run long enough to heat up and eventually any water inside the head will evaporate / get sucked through the system

Take off your air filters because when they are wet they get heavy and can fall apart and get sucked through the intake.

get a can of WD40 / CRC / RP7 and take your plugs out, crank the engine over with them all out. If water comes shooting out of the cylinders as they get to TDC then you definitely have water sitting in the intake manifold somewhere and you would be surprised how little it takes to kill a spark. spray a bit of CRC into the cylinders and put the plugs back in and go over all the other electrical connectors in the bay and give them a quick hit with the CRC.

If you find a shitload of water sitting on top of the pistons, it is a good idea not to leave it like that for a long time, lest the rust set in on your bores and fucking your rings.

Make sure you check your oil as well because if it is leaking down into your sump through the cylinders, you'll have a sludgy grey surprise fucking with your shit.

trikzlane
18th June 2011, 06:03 PM
maybe the TPS sensor has died, was it running completely fine before you washed it?

sundee
18th June 2011, 06:27 PM
also if you have access to an air compressor, get the blower attachment, pull off all the sensor plugs and give both sides a blow out.
blow down the spark plug journals as well before taking the plugs out, to stop sitting water going into the cylinders, Then crank the engine over a few times to get any water out of there.

You will have to run the engine for more then 3 minutes... it will be more like 15 minutes.

timbo
18th June 2011, 06:33 PM
And the moral of the story is; don't soak you engine bay with water.

johl
18th June 2011, 08:22 PM
And the moral of the story is; don't clean your car.

fixed

Nicko
18th June 2011, 08:26 PM
I've degreased heaps of engine bays

The problem with the youth of today is the instant gratification factor

e.g I wan't it NOW, at all costs.

We were always taught to take care and think about the implications of what you're doing FIRST. 90% planning, 10% execution.

These days its more like 10% planning, 10% execution, 80% fixing the fuckup after the fact.

Jacobxxx
18th June 2011, 09:00 PM
0% planning
50% execution
50% FS: half finished project

lolwat
18th June 2011, 09:56 PM
0% planning
50% execution
50% FS: half finished project
oath

yea i degrease atleast 3-5 cars a day, you cover up things like dissy's, pods, and coils (especially on EL-EF falcon water fucks coils so easy)

bams_keto
19th June 2011, 04:52 PM
problem fixed, just got a fresh can of wd40 and sprayed fucking everything in the engine and loom. It ran alot better then before but still splutter as it was reving up so i put new fuel, worn engine treatment and injector cleaner in it and it run's better then ever.

Thanks very much for the help guys

Nicko
19th June 2011, 04:54 PM
No worries

Glad to hear its alive again

corknose
19th June 2011, 04:59 PM
sick