PDA

View Full Version : 86 hatch gas struts

Jonny Rochester
25th February 2009, 12:36 AM
Not listed with Monroe.

Does anyone know the closest thing that fits?

The one in my hand is 600mm long.

From what I have looked at so far, it seams T-18 or AE82 or RA60 would be very close.

Cerby86
25th February 2009, 01:54 AM
i put some from an ae82 seca in and they were good!! Slightly longer but i found they actually held the hatch a bit higher and stopped me from banging my head like i did with the standard ones

Dylan
25th February 2009, 07:06 AM
^ exactly what i have. Put them in around 3 years ago and there still strong

focus_7
25th February 2009, 12:18 PM
Do they need any modificaions to fit them?

RobertoX
25th February 2009, 12:47 PM
Do you have the standard ones still? If so get them re-gassed. They are of much higher quality than monroe and will probably last longer.

dave2221
25th February 2009, 02:02 PM
i had a guy fit some for me. from sydney.

$90 for new.... i could find out.....

Also said he could do bonnet gas struts for $150

dave2221
25th February 2009, 02:15 PM
here you go

give him a call.... average english

good price adn service

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/2/7318.jpg

Jonny Rochester
25th February 2009, 02:24 PM
I know you can get them regassed. But while taking my car apart I had to hacksaw through one of the ball joints. It was rusted, and the hex was rounded.

But I maybe able to get a new ball joint yet, not sure.

I am fairly sure RA40/RA60, TE72, AE82 are all the same style, just different lengths. I have a feeling AE92 ones have different joints.

dave2221
25th February 2009, 02:53 PM
well that was $90 NEW

i got quoted $80 to get them regassed..... so yeah this was a better option

strong enough to hold the hatch AND a MDF parcel tray with 6x9's with ease.

Jonny Rochester
25th February 2009, 02:57 PM
Well, his map of Australia leaves out Tassie. If there is something written on your struts, that may help me. What brand?

dave2221
25th February 2009, 04:33 PM
ill have a look for you.... hopefully get back to you tonight.

he put extra gas in them from the STD, to make them hold better, so they can hold a cow on an open boot

wont ever fall down on you.

Vance
25th February 2009, 06:34 PM
im so getting new ones for my hatch, and some for my bonnet too. i hate having to hold up the bastard and get my busted holder thingy up.

thanks for that ad. ill be calling ming

Hen may possibly be a nut
25th February 2009, 07:17 PM
I took my old ones into an industrial belts and hoses place that did gas struts. He measured them up and ordered me in a pair, for $60, but that was a few years ago. Balljoints weren't included either.

And just the other day I was looking in a Wurth catalogue, and they have similar looking threaded ball things listed (including the press on socket). Balls were 8-16mm, DIN 71802 and art. # 0268 505 10. I hope they work.

Hen

PS, just found the details of the place I got them:
G&R Industrial products.
Ph: (03) 9419 2122 Fax: (03) 9419 1961

I know you're in Tas, but they'd probably send them if you're desperate.

FAST EDDIE
25th February 2009, 07:23 PM
i used VZ commie bonnet ones on my race car (only cos they were free) strong as F**K got rid of the lower ball adn put 2 bolts in the gutter to hold lower and holds the boot sky high!

dave2221
25th February 2009, 08:26 PM
see if he remembers the guy with the blue sprinter..... from taren point.

be good to get the ae86dc a good name with him

rallystanza
26th February 2009, 06:40 AM
As Hen is possible a mad cunt suggested, give george from G+R industrial a call Jonny. He is a rad bloke and I don't know what Hen is referring to in regards to ball joint things but I got mine ready to bolt in.... Give him free and compressed heights and approx weight to be lifted, brand new, done.

shift_rook
26th February 2009, 09:40 AM
i just scored some free vt commodore gas struts for my bonnet, i'll meaure the length of em for you tonight

FAST EDDIE
28th February 2009, 12:02 AM
i just scored some free vt commodore gas struts for my bonnet, i'll meaure the length of em for you tonight

have you put them on yet? need to do it and i havent attempet it yet?

Wiggles
28th February 2009, 12:36 AM
I picked up a new pair from Ovesco, i had a choice of 500nm, 750nm and 1000nm. $45 each trade.
I split the difference and went with 750's, now i nearly bend the C-Pillars trying to close the bastard. Should last for a million years tho and if i ever roll it, i can pop the hatch and have it lift the car :D

cbjaust
28th July 2009, 01:56 PM
I took my old ones into an industrial belts and hoses place that did gas struts. He measured them up and ordered me in a pair, for $60, but that was a few years ago. Balljoints weren't included either.

And just the other day I was looking in a Wurth catalogue, and they have similar looking threaded ball things listed (including the press on socket). Balls were 8-16mm, DIN 71802 and art. # 0268 505 10. I hope they work.

Hen

PS, just found the details of the place I got them:
G&R Industrial products.
Ph: (03) 9419 2122 Fax: (03) 9419 1961

I know you're in Tas, but they'd probably send them if you're desperate.

Thanks for that; I had to get new struts just now for both my VT and Sprinter (G&R FTW!) and it seems that the ones required for the old AE86 need to be ~595mm and 400nm whereas the conformadore ones are a fair bit lower in the nm dept - as you'd expect.

Cheers

stylz
28th July 2009, 07:27 PM
mehh, if your hatch gas struts are fucked just bend them abit. once the boots open they wont close on you untill you pull it down.
presto job done and it doesnt cost you a cent!@ :P

Golberg
29th July 2009, 11:16 AM
I just carry a stick.

hachirusto
15th February 2010, 11:11 PM
bumpaged on an old thread but how the hell do you get the struts off the mounts, tried hitting a block of wood to know the ball joint out of the strut but no go.

also if anyone is trying to find the struts you can order them at supercheap auto as they have a supplier which carries them and very cheap too compared to manroe or gabriel struts whichare normal $60+ each

Wiggles
16th February 2010, 11:14 AM
how the hell do you get the struts off the mounts

There's a little clip on them. It's shaped a bit like a question mark, the straight part goes through a little hole in the socket, and the curved part hugs the outside.
You need to lever the curved part around so it isn't touching the socket and then pull it straight towards the strut body.

Sorry, it's a bit hard to explain without a pic. If you wiggle the clip around a bit, it should come off without too much effot.

The other thing you can do is unscrew the balls off the body while they're still attached to the strut. Then you can get a better look at how it clips in (or just replace the balls)

Good luck!

sundee
16th February 2010, 11:21 AM
stick wins

Wiggles
16th February 2010, 11:23 AM
stick wins

Just smash the glass, you wont have to open it at all then.

s14seriesII
16th February 2010, 12:00 PM
struts tas jonny, his name is brian, should be able to sort you out with repair or replacement, tell him mark at birdwood motors told you to ring

redsprinter
16th February 2010, 12:28 PM
arent they bolted in ??? a 14 open end or something should do the trick.

Richard
16th February 2010, 12:40 PM
Call the "Strutman" google him...he did mine

hachirusto
16th February 2010, 05:11 PM
There's a little clip on them. It's shaped a bit like a question mark, the straight part goes through a little hole in the socket, and the curved part hugs the outside.
You need to lever the curved part around so it isn't touching the socket and then pull it straight towards the strut body.

Sorry, it's a bit hard to explain without a pic. If you wiggle the clip around a bit, it should come off without too much effot.

The other thing you can do is unscrew the balls off the body while they're still attached to the strut. Then you can get a better look at how it clips in (or just replace the balls)

Good luck!

Thanks , know the ones that you are talking about, the new struts ive got have them but the old ones just seem to be a ball joint, might just unscrew the bolts from the hatch and then try to work it out that way.

s14seriesII
16th February 2010, 05:22 PM
the original toyta gas struts have no other way to remove them apart from undoing the ball joint from the body..

you will need a 12mm spanner for this, its needs to be slim and good quality, otherwise you will have trouble and round them off like jonny

Jonny Rochester
18th February 2010, 11:42 AM
I ended up getting new ones for AE82 liftback. ML4320 Monroe.

timbo
18th February 2010, 11:54 AM
I ended up getting new ones for AE82 liftback. ML4320 Monroe.

what was the price on those? im sick of using my head to hold up my hatch...

hachirusto
18th February 2010, 10:13 PM
You can get AE86 specific ones from Super cheap auto, thats where I got mine, struts australia is the company that make them $30 each strut

cbjaust
22nd February 2010, 09:44 PM
bumpaged on an old thread but how the hell do you get the struts off the mounts, tried hitting a block of wood to know the ball joint out of the strut but no go.

also if anyone is trying to find the struts you can order them at supercheap auto as they have a supplier which carries them and very cheap too compared to manroe or gabriel struts whichare normal $60+ each

definately need a 12mm spanner to get the original struts out by unscrewing the ball joints.

G & R Industrial Products in Collingwood can get you struts for about $35 each including ball joints (I bought two for my AE86 and two for my Commo for $150 all up) - ask for struts that are 595 to 600mm in length and 400nm pressure.

DR86FT
29th October 2012, 03:57 PM
But while taking my car apart I had to hacksaw through one of the ball joints. It was rusted, and the hex was rounded.

I have the same problem :-/ what did you do after you cut the ball off?
Nevermind a single hex socket does the trick, blonde moment