PDA

View Full Version : How to remove harmonic Balancer?

v-tec
4th March 2009, 03:15 PM
hey guys, planning to do a timing belt while the motor is on a stand...
Just was wondering if there was any backyard tricks to getting the harmonic balancer off?
Ive got the 4age Manuel here which shows the special service tool that your ment to use, knowing toyota if i have to buy it through them itll cost one hundred million dollars....

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9594/timingbelt02.jpg

also how hard is it to replace the front main seal as i plan to do this while the HB is off

hao.
4th March 2009, 03:28 PM
Hey man. I have access to that exact SST if you want to borrow it? :)

wide s13
4th March 2009, 03:28 PM
i have a flat piece of steal that you put 2 bolts through onto balancer and 1 were crank is and it comes of quite good.
i can bring it down for $20bucks fuel money haha

Jonny Rochester
4th March 2009, 03:32 PM
Figure (a).
Undo this bolt with a socket and long extension. Lock the motor up by getting someone to apply the brakes and have it in 5th gear.

Figure (b).
You can buy a generic puller of the same style fairly cheapish. But remember, if there are bolt threads in the pulley, they are METRIC. And probably a pitch of 1.25mm. Don't be a butcher with the wrong bolts.

Once the pully is off, clean the surfaces with emery paper. Makes it much easier the next time.

All Drift Modifications
4th March 2009, 05:34 PM
There is a generic gear puller you can buy at Bursons and Repco. Its about $30 and works a treat on harmonic balancers.

If your lucky and the balancer isn't stuck on to hard. You can wiggle them off by hand. But its highly unlikely that its not suck on tight.

Juturna
4th March 2009, 05:42 PM
use a rattle gun. ;)

Dylan
4th March 2009, 06:06 PM
^ undoing the crank bolt is the easy part

dodgybrooks
4th March 2009, 06:23 PM
^ undoing the crank bolt is the easy part

Not when it's on an engine stand!!

Clinton
5th March 2009, 03:37 AM
what is the #1 most abused tool in a workshop?

a flat blade screw driver. combined this with a hammer to increase power rate. and get ready for the drop. if you have a lever bar equipped you increase your chances of getting a rarer loot on the drop. 30 gold will also get you a pulling claw from master burson, and is good for other welps too like if wearing bheel decides to cast metal fusion on the stub. this can be defused with pulling claw upgrades. be wearing young vtec, you must not let the claw loose grip, or you may be in danger of destroying the harmonic balance. no go, young vtec. and bring forth victory and good news!

Jonny Rochester
5th March 2009, 11:27 AM
Clinton, I think you better go back and edit that again.

v-tec
5th March 2009, 01:04 PM
Lol clinton, can i buy some pot from you?

Thanks guys, i think i might look at getting one of those balancer pulleys from bursons or something. Or Hao, ill give you a yell some time soon...

I think my only other main concern is keepint it at TDC when your undoing the pully. Does the pully actually slipp onto something that keeps it inline with where the pistons will be? (eg, same as how the cam gear slippes onto the camshaft)

--Redwork--
5th March 2009, 01:12 PM
HAHAHA... Clinton...

Mind of duplicite greatnest you have...

seek
5th March 2009, 01:29 PM
front mains seal is a bitch to replace...i replaced mine about 2 months ago, and i dare say it will be easier to replace with the engine in the car because you will be pulling and yanking on it, and obviously on a stand your not going get far

it really depends on how flogged your keyway is... mine was average id guess and it took about 2hrs of constant pulling with a mates help.... also, the crank pulley doesnt have a "lip" on the front to simply throw a puller on... you have to slide it forward about 6-7mm before your able to fit one on the inner "lip" (next to the oil pump)... this is the hardest bit, moving it that 6mm and we used a slide hammer with a tiny hook on it that would just fit between the pulley and oil pump, after that a normal 2jaw puller got it off.

took about 4hrs all up to do, expect to loose some blood.

to be honest, i'd probably replace the timing belt and front mains once you have the engine in the car and running 100% etc.... its just as easy to do the belt regardless if its in a car or not, and i'd think the front mains seal would be significantly easier with the engine mounted in car.

oh, and the keyway on the crank keeps the crank pulley and harmonic balancer lined up... ie: there is only one way it goes on type thing. you'll be fine.

PuGZoR
5th March 2009, 02:00 PM
My 2c...

Plenty of different generic harmonic balancer pullers available out there. Autoburn, Bursons, Ripco, Superheap all have them, and you can even get them from tool shops with auto tools, eg, Trade Tools. I think they're around $35 for a comprehensive set that'll pretty much guarantee you to pull off any harmonic balancer you'll come across in your life, both metric and imperial.

v-tec
5th March 2009, 02:17 PM
Cool... well maybe ill just think about just doing the belt, i think i should at least do that, its usable but its a bit average...
Also the front main seal is just sitting there so i can do it some time down the line

Clinton
5th March 2009, 05:27 PM
i love posts you dont even remember.... my bad.

ae86 slide
5th March 2009, 08:08 PM
yo mutha V,
I just did mine, i had the gearbox off and just jammed a jack handle into the grooves in the fly wheel so it was locked in place and used a breaker bar, then just used a massive screw driver between the pulley and block and leveraged that bitch off, getting it back on was the drama, be ready to belt the f###ing thing.

Hokey
5th March 2009, 08:29 PM
timing belt is fairly easy. the front seal is alot harder. you can get the harmonic balancer off easily with a pulley but like someone else said getting the crank timing gear off is hard as there's no room to fit a puller behind it till you move it out with a screwdriver first. then you need a really small puller (i found a 2 prong one worked best) to get it off so you can access the seal.

if the seal has been replaced in the last few years or something and its not leaking prolly wouldn't bother.

wide s13
6th March 2009, 10:11 AM
i put some never seaze of mine last time i put her on 12months later its slipped off a lot easier :)