PDA

View Full Version : question about ae86s'

trueno
7th October 2005, 11:19 PM
hey all i need some help
i am thinking of buying a ae86 for a first time drifter
what kind of mods would be needed to make it drift?
and anouther thing: any similar cars that are easy to drift and under $5000?(with out modifications just a stokie)
thanx guy
cya

crazy86
7th October 2005, 11:34 PM
The 86 isn't actually a good beginners car. Its quite technical by comparison to silvias, skylines etc. The only reason the 86 has a reputation as a beginners car is because in Japan they used to be really cheap, so they were a budget car to start drifting with.

In aus, they arent so cheap. First you buy an ADM sprinter, then you do a diff swap, and suspension swap, probably an engien swap too, as its hard to drift the 4AC. All up you will spend every cent of your 5000, plus more, and end up with a car that is harder to drift than a silvia or skyline.

Best cheap drifter in Aus would be the R31 skyline, with the RB six giving plenty of tourque to get the rear out. All you need is to lower it, and lock up the diff.
Its quite possible to get a 31 drifting for under $2000
For under 5 g's, you might find a worn out turbo CA S13, or you could try with a non turbo SR or CA s13, but both these cars will take all your cash without any mods, unless your lucky.

Beserker99
7th October 2005, 11:39 PM
IMO, the cheapest option for drift is to go a Siliva S13 or something for your budget.

I say this cus, the chances of getting a cheap AE86 in the first place nowdays are quite rare, and even if you do it's most likely need a lot of work for it to be driftable, with some repect.

But, if you do get one, I'd say first of all you'd need good suspension. Around $500-1500 would be needed on that alone depending on what u need.

Then you'll prolly want an engine upgrade to a 4A-GE or something with more power than a 4A-C, approx $1500-2000.

Then theres the LSD, about $700-1500, that's if you get an LSD and a T-series diff to go with it. Unless you want hte cheapos way out and weld ya S-series diff together.

So in the end, the AE86 is a rather expensive first drift car, that most people dont realise. I've had mine for three years now and needless to say, it's cost a fair bit. But then again, I dont drift mine, just use it as my daily http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

Edit

Haha, it took me a while to post this, and it seems like you beat me to it Crazy86 http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

slide86
7th October 2005, 11:43 PM
yeah ae86 isnt the easiet car to drift
i learnt to drift in one (still learning)
but it takes practice if u want to learn to drift in one.

if u find one cheap enough they can be set up nicely with a few mods
u may spend 7g at the most and have a competive drift car. (if u can drive)
where as a stock s13 may cost that too.

totoro
8th October 2005, 01:19 AM
it would also depend on how much work you can do yourself. as i know of people doing all the conversion themselves so in turn saving them huge bucks.

think of AE86 this way... its like restoration before modification.
at least S13 you dont need to worry about resotration bit, just modification.

also KEs are cheaper but similar work will still need to go into it, except its way cheaper to find one.

or maybe S12? gazelle and do it up a bit as they are also cheaper to buy and same amount of work will need to go into it...

so at the end of the day you will need to spend about 10k for a decent driftable vehicle i think...

mumblezzz
8th October 2005, 01:26 AM
hay guyss1!!!!

Ive got no money but I watched initial D and now I wnat to drift.

right now I drift my mums camry but she cracks the shits cause thre rear tyres look like 50 cent coins I needs the budget drift car so can you tell me everthig I neeed toi buy cause I'm to lazy to click the search buttpon.

Thanks!!!!11 guyzzzzz

-the winnar!

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/ph34r.gif

eastcoastdrifter
8th October 2005, 01:33 AM
are you serious?

[MET]
8th October 2005, 01:44 AM
AE86 is for enthusiasts not budget drifters, the faster people learn that the better, too many wanabes, but im happy to sell you my stockers for 4K lol! oh wait i already did! lmao

decoyslikecurves
8th October 2005, 02:28 AM
no ae86 for you!

buy a silvia - easy slidey cheaply

Blood Child
8th October 2005, 02:47 AM
if u just want to get sideways buy a commonwhore

eastcoastdrifter
8th October 2005, 03:14 AM
hay guyss1!!!!

Ive got no money but I watched initial D and now I wnat to drift.

right now I drift my mums camry but she cracks the shits cause thre rear tyres look like 50 cent coins I needs the budget drift car so can you tell me everthig I neeed toi buy cause I'm to lazy to click the search buttpon.

Thanks!!!!11 guyzzzzz[/b]

ummm OK lets see............. I really dont know what to say. ok If you want to Start Drifting Do what the others are saying get a Silvia as AE86s are overpriced now and most need alot of work and money to start Drifting (and Im Sick of all the people Buying them then selling them for triple the amount because they cant become Takumi in them straight away so they sell) to Put it in Initial D terms..... why dont you get a Silvia Like Mako Sato has yes that will do

Wally
8th October 2005, 03:45 AM
im pretty sure he was being sarcastic http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

trueno
8th October 2005, 07:24 AM
well thanx guys
looks like i'll just stick with a 180sx heard their pretty tail happy
thanx for all the help, at least u guys helped me unlike the other forum i'm on http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif
cheers

E V A N
8th October 2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by CRAZY86@Oct 11 2005, 04:34 PM
The 86 isn't actually a good beginners car.
Quote of the century..

Stay away... get an R31 or something

Course_Out
8th October 2005, 11:46 PM
The main problem with drifting an ae86 is that if you don't turn up to a drift day and absolutely tear it up all the try hards will rip on you and call you a Takumi wannabe. Hence why I bought an ae71, cos at least when i suck there is a 50% chance people will think its the car, lol

sic86
9th October 2005, 08:57 AM
S13 Turbo would be much easier as anyone can get a turbo car to spin the rear wheels. A N/A AE86 takes more skill.

Cheers

genkin
13th October 2005, 02:52 PM
I guess for the price you are looking at, get a KE71 (or similar RWD toyota). When you are used to the stock feel, upgrade suspension and LSD. Then engine.

whatever you get, just practise

RobertoX
13th October 2005, 04:28 PM
ke71??

AE71
KE70

sic86
13th October 2005, 04:38 PM
Is this acutally your first car or first drift car?

Cheers