PDA

View Full Version : [Bne] Section Engine Torque Dampener

PuGZoR
7th March 2009, 08:55 PM
Hey boys and girls,

A while ago, quite a while ago, I purchased a Section branded engine torque dampener from 999 Automotive. Cost me a fair chunk if I remember correctly, but was quite good. Ends up it doesn't fit on the AE101 4AGZE head, and I've tried making a new bracket for it, and weighing up how to attach it, but really can't find any way. Essentially I'm going to sell this as being suitable only for a JDM AE86 with standard 4AGE, because I have no idea of further compatibility.

Forget how much it cost, but I think it was around $300, so not a cheap one at all. Looks pretty much new, has never actually been attached to an engine, Zinc plated, looks the goods. Maybe a little bit of surface rust on some of the non-coated parts of the setup, but most of it is very shiny.

$140 ono to start off, but as I've said, it's never actually been used in a practical sense. Willing to post at buyers expense.

PM or reply, will post at buyers expense (prolly $15 AU wide?).

filfilfil
8th March 2009, 10:15 PM
Pic pls

PuGZoR
9th March 2009, 06:14 AM
Pic #1 (http://www.pugzor.net/86march09/07032009418.jpg)
Pic #2 (http://www.pugzor.net/86march09/07032009419.jpg)
Pic #3 (http://www.pugzor.net/86march09/07032009420.jpg)

Don't know what else there is to show... :S As you can see though, is very shiny.

shelldrake
9th March 2009, 10:44 AM
Do these things actually make a noticable difference?

PuGZoR
9th March 2009, 11:01 AM
*shrugs* I bought it because I'd heard rumours that at high RPM, an AE101 GZE Head with T3 Port Adaptor and RWD 4AGE, sometimes can hit the shock tower or components mounted near there. So, I bought this. Ended up not fitting, so I just got TRD stiff-as-shit engine mounts instead.

Know there was a lot of them on eBay for S13's, etc, but they were low quality and as a corner cutting thing, they weren't actually oil filled, just filled with rubber. Weren't stiff enough and obviously failed after a little bit. Guessing they do serve a purpose and probably improve something if the engine isn't vibrating as much... but who knows?

3s-86
9th March 2009, 12:10 PM
Hey people

These are called engine torque dampers and are oil filled with a piston
inside like shock absorbers.
I don't know about those cheap ebay jobs tho!
That means it dampens fast movments/bouncing like your shockers do for your suspension!
So really an engine torque damper limits engine movments under accelleration and
deaccellaration, hence it gets rid of that free play/slack when putting you foot down then off the acellarator then on again.
In turn it makes to transfer power thru your drivetrain more solid and instant response.
I wouldn't both fitting one of these if it's only a low powered street car, mainly for
modified high horsepower N/A or turbo street and track cars.

FAST EDDIE
9th March 2009, 05:48 PM
the ebay ones are rubber shock absorber. im using one of these cos my tunnel is cracking around the shifter hole and was sujested by an engineer.

PuGZoR
11th March 2009, 09:35 AM
Bumpage. Come on, someone must want one for high rev lovin?