PDA

View Full Version : oil in the bellhousing

ae86 slide
26th December 2005, 11:33 AM
only about 3 months ago i changed the rear main seal on my silver top 4age as it was leaking, but yesterday i noticed more oil had acumilated on the bottom of the bell housing.
it hasnt leaked (as far as i know) untill now or prob since last sundays drift day.

now when i bought the seal last time i took my original seal into global to get the right one, from memory it ended up getting an ae92 seal.
im wondering if they might have stuffed up and the silvertop seal is different to other 4age's, or would the oil be coming from the gearbox end of the bell housing?

thanks guys http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Monster
27th December 2005, 09:19 PM
The seal part numbers both after market and genuine (ie KOK, NOK, Kelpro etc) are all the same, just make sure it is a Viton (ie reddy brown color) which indicates a higher temp and density type nitrile rubber. Also make sure that the seal had the correct rotational helix on the lip, some suppliers just think that an oil seal is an oil seal and any the same size will do.
As for the oil, check your front g/box seal, even if it looks ok, change it out (very cheap TC style seal)
If you have any issues with parts or prices, give us a call at the office.

Kev
CBC Bearings
(02) 94382311

ae86 slide
28th December 2005, 04:33 PM
much appreciated, ordered everything today including a seal carrier gasket,
that should stop the leak.

ae86 slide
28th December 2005, 04:35 PM
also last time the rear main seal i got was orange, is that the 'viton' you were talking about?

Monster
28th December 2005, 07:06 PM
Affirmative http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jonny Rochester
28th December 2005, 08:48 PM
Also look for a groove on the crankshaft where the seal has been running. If the groove is too big, oil will leak even with a new seal. To fix this you need a speedy sleave.

Or, hope the new seal gos on in a slightly different spot on the crank.

For the rear seal carrier gasket, I prefer to just use silicon. At least in the corners if you are using a "propper" gasket.