PDA

View Full Version : weight reduction

rxbenny
31st December 2005, 01:03 AM
Hi All

I was reading about moto's car on club 4ag and he is saying the jap spec bumpers and supports are lighter than the usa spec.

is the same true for oz spec bumper supports cos i know alot of the after market kits call for jdm bumper supports.

If so does any one have pictures of the different supports and their weights

Cheers for all info

Ben

slide86
31st December 2005, 02:30 AM
i think the only reason the jap bars where lighter is that they are made of a thinner more flexible plastic.

the american ones look alot thicker and bigger.

anyone confirm this?
or is there more to it?

Dorio86
31st December 2005, 08:22 PM
I heard that there are carbon fibre bumper bar mounts.

Also theres a company in America that sell carbon fibre Jblood replica body kits (bumpers, skirts, pods, wing,)

DRFTAE86
31st December 2005, 10:13 PM
You be wasting money buying such item in order to try lose weight.
You'd be far better off buying a FRP hood, the *'money' to 'weight loss'* ratio would be better. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

As for Crabon fibre bumper mounts.....

Your bumper is there to protect ur car, as soon as u so much as tap ur bumper it will brake the carbon fibre mount like a twig. And at least the stock metal mounts bend before the chassis rail does, absorbing some of the force from being hit (pending on the angle u hit it) where as with the CF mount will do nothing to absorb the impact and ur chassis rail will feel the full brunt of the hit. You can always hammer back the metal mount as well, so its a striaght as possible. No 1 can see how bent it is behind ur bumper anyway as long as it holds the bumper straight. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

mc68
1st January 2006, 04:40 PM
imo if you want to loose any beneficial weight, you have to go radical with it or not do it at all...sourcing the bumper and supports could be spendt on making the car go faster in other areas.

Dorio86
1st January 2006, 05:00 PM
Thats right, sprinters are light anyway

mattysshop
1st January 2006, 05:10 PM
the weight in an AE86 bumper is nearly nothing anyway..what i would be looking at instead it removed of interior parts, such as rear seats, spare wheel, jack etc, carpet in the boot, parcel cover, aircon (if fitted) there would literally be 20-25kg there..

RobertoX
1st January 2006, 06:03 PM
im going to make my next sprinter really light

glass bars, cabe ties etc

some of the n2 cars are 790kg!

Shiri
1st January 2006, 06:25 PM
We use the same mounts as JDM AE86's... US didn't... thats why they are heavier...

rxbenny
1st January 2006, 07:02 PM
i have removed most of the interior besides the stuff forward of the b pillar

i was just reading the club 4ag site and wanted to hear about others opinions and i am thinking about ways to reduce ways that usually are not considered.

RobertoX
1st January 2006, 08:04 PM
alloy fuel tanks, remove dash, heater core, tiatanium exhausts, glass/carbon/kevlar seats, lexan windows, etc

all non essential wiring, stereos etc

jdm doors (no intrusion beams)

taking out window regs

rxbenny
2nd January 2006, 01:35 AM
are the oz spec supports the exact same as jap? not to ignore what shiri said confirmation from another member would be cool.

upgarage
2nd January 2006, 02:09 AM
the supports i got off my jdm ae86 were identical

rxbenny
2nd January 2006, 02:14 AM
cheers for the info Ian you going on friday?

slide86
3rd January 2006, 07:37 PM
topic re-opened all bullshit has been deleted

keep on topic and i dont want to see anymore posts about these carbon fibre bumper mounts without any evidence.

Dorio86 has been warned.

mattysshop
4th January 2006, 07:27 AM
Kouki bumper mount for the koukie wrap around indicators are different.. completley different...thats why i had to use an ADM or Zenki front bumper and mount when i first had my bit of drift damage..