PDA

View Full Version : T fiddy

mikes86
2nd January 2006, 10:09 AM
Hey all, there is a t50 at a wreckers i found. It says it comes out of an ae71 but the clutch thingy is on the drivers side....? Just wondering if the t50's that came out of the t18's or what not had the clutch forks on the drivers side?

Monster
2nd January 2006, 10:32 AM
I'm pretty sure that all import AE86 came with the clutch fork/ slave on the drivers side because the exhaust ran on the passenger side from factory. I'm not sure about the AE71's but beware, there are 2 versions of the T50, the eairler one has a smaller input shaft (read: less splines) and used smaller, weaker deep groove ball bearings instead of the big ass cylindrical rollers found in the Hachi box. But as a bit of trivia, the synchro's and cogs are interchangable, so if you ever need to rebuild your box, just use and T40/T50 internals!!!

RobertoX
2nd January 2006, 12:27 PM
t18 boxes to not fit

mikes86
2nd January 2006, 01:04 PM
yeh i know t18 boxes dont fit and i know all imported sprinters came with the clutch setup on the drivers side. I am wanting to know if the other t50's ie t18 had the clutch setup on drivers side or passenger?

Gilly
3rd January 2006, 05:40 PM
this confuses me i watched my mate pull a 5 speed out of a t18 it bolted uip to his black top using a t 50 bell housing. the only difference being this was all put into a ke70 so maybe the output shaft splines suit ke70 but not ae 86 tail shafts. he used the blactop clutch too.

weird http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

crazy86
3rd January 2006, 06:19 PM
All T50 boxes are exacly the same, with the exception of the earlier boxes with the smaller output shaft (not input as 20V Monster said http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif ). ie 20 spline O/P shaft with 62mm bearing verses 22 spline with 68mm bearing (4AGE's came with 22 spline box)

Any other differences are in the bell housing, and all T50's can be used if the correct bell housing for the motor is used.

"The ONLY bell housings that will mate a T50 box to a 4AGE come from a RWD "a" series engine (3A/4A/4AGE)
The T50 Bell housing has letters cast externally onto the top section between the uppermost bell housing to engine block bolt bosses that identify the engine it came from, i.e. 3A or 4AG etc. 3A and 4A bell housings have the clutch fork on the LHS while the 4AG bell housings place it on the RHS.

The T50 gearbox was fitted to other engines as well, such as 1S and 3T etc. The gearbox itself is identical, however the bell housings differ to suit the parent engine.
In general terms gearboxes made 1983 or newer are 22 spline. This means that 3T, 1S, 3A and 4A engines have 22 spline units. 2T's are 20 spline, so be carefull. The AE85/86 and AA63 series T50 gearboxes are 650mm long from the engine end of the bell housing to the centre of the gearlever mount, however, some tailshaft housings fitted to earlier 20 spline gearboxes are shorter hence allowing relocation of the gearlever with some mixing and matching of components."

(From Phil Bradshaws site)

Oh, and one last thing, 20V monster also suggested using the internals from a t40 in a t50, this might be possible, but a t40 is 4 speed, whereas a t50 is 5 speed, so your going to be short a few bits.......

OBE353
3rd January 2006, 07:36 PM
wow this has been a great help, man the people on this site r so full of history and knowledge http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif *not being sarcastic*

mikes86
3rd January 2006, 08:56 PM
meh we found another for my mate. I might grab that one for spare internals if they are all the same. My 2nd and 3rd gear suck the wang!

mattysshop
4th January 2006, 07:32 AM
might get me a few T-40's... i don't think you would have to worry about the 5th gear.. 5th gear is pretty hard to f*** up...