PDA

View Full Version : LSD help

[haul]
20th January 2006, 08:00 PM
iv got a confession to make... i dont actually drive an ae86 i have an ra40 celica and im sorry to gate crash on you're corrollas but i need help. i would like to put coilovers and an LSD in my car and i dont even know where to start. i was told that this would be a good place to start as my car shuld be running on the same or similar hardware. any help would be awesome aye. thanx

FAST EDDIE
20th January 2006, 08:35 PM
most dont drive ae86's...try toymods and welcome http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

upgarage
20th January 2006, 09:04 PM
coilovers is easy with custom springs and a coilover kit(sleeves,hats..etc)
pretty sure ra40 has a tseries in which case a ae86 lsd should fit

[haul]
20th January 2006, 09:35 PM
thanx guys. what do you mean with custom springs? could u elaborate please? and which coilover kit? im assuming ur talking about one to fit an ae86?

oh and does anyone have some prices on this sorta stuff? a good location to get em?
thanx again

mattysshop
21st January 2006, 12:32 AM
make coil overs.. you can get the sleeve, rings, spring etc all from Fulcrum, then you just need to know someone with a grinder and a welder..

these are mine..

RobertoX
21st January 2006, 10:50 AM
Welcome,

LSD is easy but will be a bit expensive, around 800 - 1200 new. You will need an early model sprinter one (there are 2 types of rear end early (zenki) and late (kouki) do a search, there is so much info!)

If your RA40 is a manual go to a pick-n-pay less or whatever and grab an ra40 auto diff centre which will have a higher ratio ring gear (slightly better acceleration) then get a diff shop to install the lsd to the auto centre and bolt it in to your rear axle housing.

With coilovers, again do a search as there is so much info both on this site and on www.toymods.net, in a nutshell, the fronts are easy and have been done many times, the rears are a little more difficult and are not done as often. But there are a couple of ways people have done it.
For the rear your best bet is to get some custom springs made up to fit in the standard position and buy some short stroke shocks if you are going to lower it.

[haul]
21st January 2006, 12:23 PM
ok guys thanx heaps thats all been a really huge help with the LSD. i get where ur coming from with the coilovers but i dont really understand it (i guess my tech knoledge wasnt as good as i thought) and since i have virtually no practical experience i should probably get some1 whos done it before to help me out. either that or just chop my springs lol (keichi tsuchia did it so i can too http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif ) anyway thanx again http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

RobertoX
21st January 2006, 02:27 PM
A lot of people frown on chopping springs but if you do it reasonably its not as bad as people make out.

Just dont chop out too much (about half a coil is ok 1 coil MAX). The stress on your springs will rise slightly but the rate will rise also with the height reduction. Also you dont want them to be uncaptive
Your shocks need to be in good condition/new/sports shocks, the spring rate will rise so you need the shocks to control them! Otherwise your car will have a crap ride and bounce around the place and be unsafe.

One bad point that has been made about chopping them is that the heat caused by it causes the surface hardness of the shot peened springs to be reduced, this resists crack the resistance of the surface meaning that the springs will take longer to fail by fatigue. Cutting them with an angle grinder essentially anneals the end of the spring making it tough but not as resistant to cracks. So use a hacksaw or a lubricated saw if you have access.

But really if you want some decent handling shocks are very important, spend money on good shocks and you wont regret it. In comparison custom springs will be fairly cheap.

[haul]
22nd January 2006, 02:28 PM
wicked. u guys really know what ur talkin about.
thanx once again

[haul]
7th February 2006, 07:34 PM
hey now that i got details on the LSD does anyone know a good place to get em? i heard that sometimes you can order a few of them at once n get a bulk buy discount?