PDA

View Full Version : D2 Coilover sets : Anyone tried them

browneye
24th January 2006, 09:47 AM
G'day...

Anyone know anything about these coilover sets?

For around $2000 for a full set for the ae86 they sound good value...? or are they...

Regards

Scott

mc68
24th January 2006, 10:27 AM
i wouldnt pay 45c for the crap they are....

dogiest shit ive ever seen

BouNCE-86
24th January 2006, 10:35 AM
How come they are advertised all over Option 1 and the like? Wouldnt they be worth a little more? Has anyone "used" them? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/huh.gif

mattysshop
24th January 2006, 10:52 AM
one of Nathans mates (JDM86) i think it was Robbie?? cut them in half cos he was wondering why they were soo poo.. the adjuster at the top... was just a clicker.. no valving adjustment.. and the acutal grade of alloy was inferier.. but but but.. i dunno..
trents 180 has them all round.. no aftermarket swaybars, or anything.. just straight off the shelf items.. bolted in.. and he is doing this.. so i dunno what to say!? buy some and test them yourself.. if there good, great.. if not.. ???

option1
24th January 2006, 12:50 PM
Jeez the crap that gets around !!

Robbie Bolger has tried to tell me that story as well and its a load of bull^%&* ......

We have run off the shelf D2 in Jeromes car for 12 months now and had no problems - I can change the handling of the car from over to understeer with the shock valving so gee must work hey ......

Funniest part of that rumour is that the adjusters on D2 dont actually click - they just have 6 turns of adjustment

So Matty dont believe all you hear - D2 are great quality or I wouldn`t be selling them !

Paul

mattysshop
24th January 2006, 12:58 PM
yeh thats what i was thinking Paul.. cos i am amazed at how well Trents car handles.. i have cained it around a bit, and it seemed very stiff and responsive.. so my advice would to just give them a go, see what they do, also Paul how much do you do a rear pair for?

option1
24th January 2006, 01:03 PM
D2 have just produced these ....... Finally a proper rear coil over !

http://www.mysite.com.au/client_sites/368/images/p1170040.jpg

They as yet dont sell pairs just sets but trying to change that - will let everyone know what happens

RobertoX
24th January 2006, 01:26 PM
^ is that for ae86?

is that a rose jointed lower mount?

option1
24th January 2006, 01:30 PM
Yes they are AE86 rears - Rose jointed offset top , bushed bottom mount

Bustin_86
24th January 2006, 01:34 PM
hey option 1, is there still a need to do extra bracing in the rear of 86's since the mount for the coilover is only desigined to hold a shock?

Thanks,

Justin

mattysshop
24th January 2006, 02:07 PM
i would on the shock mount.. just to be on the safe side.. the top will be fine though.. bit if your in the area you can stregthen it, it wouldn't hurt..

Bustin_86
24th January 2006, 02:39 PM
how would u strengthen it?

Does option 1 offer any kind of warranty in case if they did break?

justin

Kitten-Trueno
24th January 2006, 06:37 PM
They split the coilover at Paul Morris's. Theres no way anyone could anyone ever talk me into buying anything from D2.

option1
24th January 2006, 06:46 PM
Jill you have no idea what you are talking about sorry - what they looked at is definatly not the D2 products we sell here - Like I said D2 do not have click adjusters so how could what Robbie said be true .........

If you are going to knock something i sell and believe in you better have FACTS ! They are a good product and they work well with great ride quality - we have sold over 50 dets of these now so we know alot about them ......

Anyone that would like to come in and witness how the adjusters work is more than welcome ........

Astroboy
24th January 2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Kitten-Trueno@Jan 24 2006, 05:37 PM
They split the coilover at Paul Morris's. Theres no way anyone could anyone ever talk me into buying anything from D2.
Was that before or after he crashed the car ? he seems to be only good at that now !

I started a coilover thread here :

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/in...?showtopic=2744 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=2744)

Please add some pictures of a split coilover http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Gilly
24th January 2006, 06:52 PM
don't rag em till you've bought them, used them and f*cked them, so much shit gets around bad naming products, people bad mouthing have a "mate" that says they are shit and he has a better car than them so he must be right. seriously if trent uses them and jerome uses them and option one sells them they can't be bad, if you still aren't keen go out and buy some 2nd coilovers that are well thrashed out (which they all are) and tell everyone how great they are

my 2c

mc68
24th January 2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Kitten-Trueno@Jan 24 2006, 03:37 PM
ÂÂÂ# Theres no way anyone could anyone ever talk me into buying anything from D2.
haha, same, whilst doing a service on a wrx with d2's fitted i spotted that the bottom of the front struts (after they bolt to the knuckle) has come loose and wasn't going anywhere as it was resting on the cv boots, which had been ripped to shreds by the bottom of the strut falling out....great!

also, the right rear strut had some sort of defect, and probably had about 6 degress negative camber on it...but that was probably due to the driver...

and i have had a couple of mates have them, and the have completely seized up after half a yr of driving http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

and to all those dont bag em till u try em...ive seen the quality for myself, as have many other people, and i beleive that is enough to me to stay away from shit like that.

Dorio86
24th January 2006, 09:50 PM
That's all the proof I need. Shame HSD don't make coilovers for sprinters

option1
25th January 2006, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by mc68+Jan 24 2006, 08:07 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kitten-Trueno@Jan 24 2006, 03:37 PM
ÂÂÂ# Theres no way anyone could anyone ever talk me into buying anything from D2.
haha, same, whilst doing a service on a wrx with d2's fitted i spotted that the bottom of the front struts (after they bolt to the knuckle) has come loose and wasn't going anywhere as it was resting on the cv boots, which had been ripped to shreds by the bottom of the strut falling out....great!

also, the right rear strut had some sort of defect, and probably had about 6 degress negative camber on it...but that was probably due to the driver...

and i have had a couple of mates have them, and the have completely seized up after half a yr of driving http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

and to all those dont bag em till u try em...ive seen the quality for myself, as have many other people, and i beleive that is enough to me to stay away from shit like that.[/b]
Again what a load of crap

The only way that the front coil overs on a WRX could do that is if they were not fitted properly ! They are a threaded bottom which you adjust and then do up the two bolts which clamp the base onto the threaded body to lock it up - if the bolts are not tight enough yes it will come loose and do what you say so it is the person that fitted them that stuffed up , nothing to do with the product ! We have about 5 very happy WRX customers with D2 Sets - the cars handle great and the ride quality is awesome

As for your mates cars .... What are they ? Where did they get the coil overs from , when and they seized up in what way ? If your goin to knock them I want details and Facts not just heresay !

There are alot of inferior quality copies of D2 getting around ...........

Dorio86
25th January 2006, 09:35 AM
Options 1 aren't you a D2 dealer?

This is what I found out about them (FACTS)
Their coilovers aren't short stroke so you obtain factory height, by adjusting the height the coilovers to lowered, bottoming occurs.
Usually drifting springs at the back are stiffer so the front will bottom out before the rear which will cause dangerous understeer.
At the same time there are s13 owners that think these coilovers are great, to me it seems they haven't invested much of their time on the ae86 making a product that's a replacement instead of an upgrade.

mc68
25th January 2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by option1+Jan 25 2006, 05:26 AM-->

Originally posted by mc68@Jan 24 2006, 08:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kitten-Trueno@Jan 24 2006, 03:37 PM

and to all those dont bag em till u try em...ive seen the quality for myself, as have many other people, and i beleive that is enough to me to stay away from shit like that.
Again what a load of crap

The only way that the front coil overs on a WRX could do that is if they were not fitted properly ! They are a threaded bottom which you adjust and then do up the two bolts which clamp the base onto the threaded body to lock it up - if the bolts are not tight enough yes it will come loose and do what you say so it is the person that fitted them that stuffed up , nothing to do with the product ! We have about 5 very happy WRX customers with D2 Sets - the cars handle great and the ride quality is awesome

As for your mates cars .... What are they ? Where did they get the coil overs from , when and they seized up in what way ? If your goin to knock them I want details and Facts not just heresay !

There are alot of inferior quality copies of D2 getting around ........... [/b]
crap? ive seen tiens, dms, even whiteline! never fall apart like d2's did....that threaded body at the bottom is a fucken poxy design.

ive seen the shit myself...

and the cars that seized were also wrx/liberties...and you know what...since then they have gone back to stock struts with koni adjustables and better matched springs...the ride, and handling has improved dramaitcally!

but thats just me, if someones wants malay products, go ahead..

this is where im out of this conversation.

option1
25th January 2006, 10:12 AM
Yes we are a D2 dealer and very happy to be one !

What you say is correct in some ways - the D2 AE86 kit for the front is made to fit into the standard strut so is standard length - if you fit them and lower the car to much then yes they will bottom out - we are trying to get D2 to produce a short stroke front insert to fix this problem .

The reason they made them that way is that most people do not have the knowledge or resources to cut front struts safely !

D2 now have a rear coil over that is excellent and a great length with body adjustment - we are trying to buy these separately so we can offer just rears for sale but as a general rule D2 wont sell just pairs .............. Working on that one !

We do manufacture front coil overs 50 > 60 mm shorter in length for people that want to lower their cars and get the tyres on the guards ....

http://www.option1garage.com.au/images/dscf1321.jpg

This is one with our front coil overs fitted !

mattysshop
25th January 2006, 10:23 AM
here is another car with coilovers modified from option1.. but this was about 18mts ago..

those TRD yellows are still in there and stiff as anything!! need to upgrade the spring a little though http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

toyoda
25th January 2006, 10:31 AM
i have D2 coilovers in my hachi. so far so good. no real problems with n e thing.
i have had them in for arounnd 2-3 months now.
i have never had another coilover brand or coilover in a car b4 as this is my first so i can not compare.

Ueo
25th January 2006, 11:41 AM
Theres no way anyone could anyone ever talk me into buying anything from D2.
Thats a bit harsh... I'd maybe buy the handbrake, theres not too much that could go wrong with one of those.

Dorio86
25th January 2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by option1@Jan 25 2006, 09:12 AM
we are trying to get D2 to produce a short stroke front insert to fix this problem .
You could tell them to modify the sw20 front shocks to suit the sprinters.

mattysshop
25th January 2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Dorio86+Jan 25 2006, 11:05 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-option1@Jan 25 2006, 09:12 AM
we are trying to get D2 to produce a short stroke front insert to fix this problem .
You could tell them to modify the sw20 front shocks to suit the sprinters. [/b]
AE92 shocks are far better, as there is actually weight over those shocks.. so the valving would be a bit stiffer, AW11 have a light (in comparison) nose..

it's pretty easy to do a set your self, if i had a welder, and what i know now i would have attempted mine buy myself for sure! the sleve kits are quite cheap.. and a bit of labour from a workshop to weld a few parts here and there.. all you need really is a steel ruler or verneers, a grinder or drop saw, and access to a welder..

sleeve kit from Fulcrum suspension, and some coilover springs to suit, and go buy some off the shelf AE92 Koni Adjustables.. thats the exact front suspension that D1-spec is running..

RobertoX
25th January 2006, 12:51 PM
sw20 rear and ae92 in agx share same part number, mr2 rear has a bloody heavy motor on them with turbo plumbing etc...

mattysshop
25th January 2006, 12:55 PM
ha ha ha what the hell!? for some reason i thought he was talking about AW11 ones!!! *blush* my bad..

Dorio86
25th January 2006, 02:26 PM
*Smacks himself on the head* Sorry, I meant SW20 rear shocks to suit the front of the sprinter.

RobertoX
25th January 2006, 03:39 PM
hehehehe, tis all good, the internet has too much stuff to digest!

smaks matty and dorio in the head just for fun http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif