PDA

View Full Version : Can i cut the stock plastic trumpets?

RB20DET_Silvia
16th February 2006, 02:58 AM
Hey lads,

Just wondering if i can cut the stock trumpets in half so i can put the uni filters i have on to the trumpet....i cant put them on cause they will get caught on all the throttle cable etc....

Can i cut off all the red section in that picture and whack on my filters?

- Luke

Gilly
16th February 2006, 05:50 AM
should work not really ideal though, there is no lip to hol the socks on if you know what i mean, and they won't be a circular shape, i remember cutting mine to fit in my airbox, didn't work so i still have none!! there is plenty of trumpets available for these, but if money's an issue then may as well try! also blactop ones are rubber so would be more flexible, you could zip tie your sox on to the rubber ones and they'd hold better than the plastic ones.

good luck!

Mad RS
16th February 2006, 09:00 AM
Why cut them off??? There is a reason that they a made like that. By cutting them in half you will affect the performance of a standard engine. Just fit filters over the end of the stock trumpets. Would look really funky too.

RB20DET_Silvia
16th February 2006, 08:45 PM
the uni-filter will get caught in all the throttle cables etc....thats why i cant fit them there.

- Luke

Gilly
17th February 2006, 06:01 AM
most aftermarket trumpets i have seen are heaps shorter than the factory ones + i at present have none! and the car drives fine, you should be able to cut them i can't see it having a massive affect on your performance

Monster
17th February 2006, 08:20 AM
Uni-filter do specific alloy trumpets to suit the silver top ONLY.

P# RT20V

Oh, and BT trumpets dont fit onto the ST!!

Differing length trumpets do make a slight difference... but only when you have some big cams and chasing that couple of Hp's, what they do affect is where the torque band is.

SPEEDCORE
17th February 2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by 20v Monster@Feb 17 2006, 07:20 AM

P# RT20V
Yeah wish they would make some proper sized ones for the BT..... 50mm yeah?

Might see if I can source some plastic ones with plenty meat on them to chuck on a lathe.

Monster
17th February 2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah wish they would make some proper sized ones for the BT[/b]

Hell yeah, they are 48mm. I am in the process of getting a quote on some UHMD- Nylon, all you gotta do is slice off the OEM flange and chemically weld it to the trumpet.

Interested?

SPEEDCORE
17th February 2006, 11:24 AM
Let me think about it dude.... I'm a little while off actually getting something done.

I guess there would be no problem with getting them done like that if they are bonded together properly...... just think I would prefer to see if I could get something knocked up from 1 piece.

driftism
19th February 2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by 20v Monster@Feb 17 2006, 07:20 AM

P# RT20V
where can i get some of these from???

any idea of how much?

rthy
15th March 2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by 20v KE70@Feb 17 2006, 05:01 AM
most aftermarket trumpets i have seen are heaps shorter than the factory ones + i at present have none! and the car drives fine, you should be able to cut them i can't see it having a massive affect on your performance
no it doesn't have a massive effect but it definetly has a effect that you can really feel. I don't understand why a person would go to the trouble of installing a 20V and then not installing trumpets to have a power loss like that.