PDA

View Full Version : o2 Sensor 4AGZE

AE86 LSG
16th February 2006, 04:40 PM
Looking at my wiring just before i put my MAP 4AGZE engine and exhaust in and there is a plug for an o2 sensor, is the o2 sensor required when running the standard computer?
If it is is what part (sensor) is required to be placed into the exhaust, is it a generic sensor or one of a kind for the 4agze.

Thanks

Luke

Monster
16th February 2006, 04:45 PM
There is much debate about this...

Let me just say that when my O2 sensor plug fell onto extractors and melted, cutting the cable, my 16v wouldn't hold idle and chewed through so much petrol.

As far as I know, the 4AGZE O2 sensor is the same single wire from the NA

AE86 LSG
17th February 2006, 11:51 AM
Sounds like i need one, but i think i had three wires going to the (o2) plug.
thanks for the advice

verm69
17th February 2006, 05:43 PM
If it's a MAP GZE it doesn't need an O2 sensor... thats what the crank angle sensor and the MAP sensor are for...

sp no... you don't need a O2 sensor...

GZE's from the RR MR2's have and air sensor on em... prone to fcuking up too, map is way better. Mine has a new un-tuned ECU and it idels perfect! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

correct me if i'm wrong someone

onewish
26th October 2006, 03:53 PM
So where should the O2 sensor be located on 4-2-1 extractors?

balistic
26th October 2006, 05:45 PM
From my experience - usually O2 sensors are only used during closed loop ECU operation or in other words cold start and idle situations - all it does is help keep mixtures correct under those conditions. The O2 sensor on my WRX hasnt worked for over 2 years and the car still runs fine.

BUT - I am not sure about the 4AGZE...

mr2gze
26th October 2006, 05:50 PM
If it's a MAP GZE it doesn't need an O2 sensor... thats what the crank angle sensor and the MAP sensor are for...

sp no... you don't need a O2 sensor...

GZE's from the RR MR2's have and air sensor on em... prone to fcuking up too, map is way better. Mine has a new un-tuned ECU and it idels perfect! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

correct me if i'm wrong someone[/b]

Huh? Are you saying the crank angle sensor and the map sensor make an o2 sensor redundant ? If so that is completely wrong, especially on the stock ecu. The CAS and map sensor have a completley different role to the o2 sensor.

Also gze's from MR aw11's and early bigport ae92's have a vane type afm. No they are not prone to 'fucking up'. Please tell me how they are prone to fucking up? and why map is 'way' better? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

To answer your question AE86 LSG. Yes it would be best if you did use a o2 sensor. Under certain conditions the ecu will reference the 02 sensor with regard to o2 levels in the exhaust, and adjust a/f ratios accordingly (ie enrich or lean the mixture). When cruising (not WOT) the ecu will lean the mixture out and use alot less fuel. etc.
The factory ecu has provision for a o2 sensor, why not use it! and save fuel.

The map 4agze's use a 4 wire heated o2 sensor. So you can basically put it wherever you like in the exhaust system. Id put it just after the final 2-1 section of your extractors meet.

Having said that ive seen them run without a o2 sensor. So its not 100% necessary for the engine to run.

mattysshop
27th October 2006, 08:56 AM
my O2 sensor when it was GZE'd was a 4 wire item.. and it got snapped off.. i neglected to fix the oz sensor.. and to be honest i was still getting in the vacinity of 400km per tank of about 40L so 10.0 L /100km aint bad!! and i never really had an issue with idle.. aside from the idle speed controller having a conronary from the front mount.. once that was fixed she was mint..

dustyae86
27th October 2006, 12:26 PM
my O2 sensor when it was GZE'd was a 4 wire item.. and it got snapped off.. i neglected to fix the oz sensor.. and to be honest i was still getting in the vacinity of 400km per tank of about 40L so 10.0 L /100km aint bad!! and i never really had an issue with idle.. aside from the idle speed controller having a conronary from the front mount.. once that was fixed she was mint..[/b]

yeh i have no 02 sensor either and it runs fine apart from the whole front mount problem