PDA

View Full Version : whats the better diff

xsoarerx
19th February 2006, 09:48 PM
I've been pondering over the pros and cons of buying a JDM 86 diff or finding a T18 diff.

I know both fit straight in, obviously the ae86 one does, (with LSD and Disk brakes) and the later model T18 (drums and open diff) and after market LSD aren't too hard to come by.

But I was wondering how many of you have up graded your T18 diff to disk brakes?
Eventually I want my 86 to be both for drift and race, mountain etc… so I want the brakes to be balanced and preform the best they can, SO if there's away of converting the T18 cheaply, I'd like to hear it because spending around 1000 bucks on a JDM is a little out of my price range at the moment and i dont need disk brakes right away

rthy
19th February 2006, 10:57 PM
t18 cheaply? just get a diff & rear half of the t18 tailshaft, put swaybar mounts from ur old diff or something

i was about to buy a jdm diff and LSD for 1500, but insted got a t18 diff and lsd for less than 850

riceburner
19th February 2006, 10:59 PM
T18 if definatelty the cheap way to go(make sure it already has the sway bar mounts). LSD isnt hard to find for the t18, when you think you may require disk brakes, "i think" its the AE82 rear disks that bolts straight up.

Search a little on the AE82 brakes thou, i cant recall 100%, it mightve been AE92.

Cheers

Steve

xsoarerx
19th February 2006, 11:00 PM
AN LSD for 850, thats pretty good, is that a kaaz? trd?

ive seen on importbiz's web site, they had a JDM diff with disk's, calapers and an lsd for 950, but i hear you have to upgrade the lsd anyway.

xsoarerx
19th February 2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by FKN16v@Feb 19 2006, 09:59 PM
T18 if definatelty the cheap way to go(make sure it already has the sway bar mounts). LSD isnt hard to find for the t18, when you think you may require disk brakes, "i think" its the AE82 rear disks that bolts straight up.

Search a little on the AE82 brakes thou, i cant recall 100%, it mightve been AE92.

Cheers

Steve
ahh thats pretty sweet, plenty of those around to get parts off = cheep!

ill check around, thanks.

rthy
19th February 2006, 11:22 PM
paid $600 for the lsd (TRD 2way 2nd hand), $250 for the t18 diff with swaybar mounts, tailshaft pedders short stroke shocks and low springs to match

exquisit
20th February 2006, 03:45 AM
but for track work...wouldnt discs be better

slydar
20th February 2006, 01:12 PM
if all things were equal (as in new and serviced) the jdm rear end is definately better, but there are other things to consider.

the brakes are not the main issue. for most people actually the drum brake t18 diff is better in this repect as the hand brake will work better.

JDM disc brake hand brakes can very work well too, but the caliper needs to be rebuilt/serviced almost always, this is cheap enough, its just getting around to it thats the problem, with t18 just chuck it in and itll work.

ofcourse if youre doing continual hard laps or long mountain runs fade can be an issue with drums, but its the front not the rear that really matters.

the main advantage of the JDM rear end is the axles. they run a much thicker IRS style outer wheel bearing, its way wider and offers more support for the axle, and the axle is also thicker on the end to accomadate this.

the only problem is that if you damage a rear axle theyre alot harder to come by.

so if you want youre car to be the best it can be and are willing to put in the time and extra money JDM is better, but for most people the t18 diff is perfectly suitable and can work well.

Tom86
20th February 2006, 03:02 PM
JDM usually come with better ratio too a 4.3 or 4.1 http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif rather than a 3.9 or 3.7 from the T-18.

rthy
20th February 2006, 03:12 PM
u can get the 4.1 ratio's from a early celica

xsoarerx
20th February 2006, 05:29 PM
i guess there pretty equial in pros and cons.

how does every one esle got on with drum on the rear? if i could find a complete t18 drum to drum for under 200 id be stoked (ive heard they can be found http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif )

i guess the biggest thing is avaliblity, im sure if i got a JDM i wouldnt brake it in a hurry but finding rare stuff stucks... i got a 1987 nissan cedric and finding stuff for that is next to imposssible, so T18 doesnt sound to bad.

but can anyone confirm T18 disk brake conversion's? ive looked on toymods for an hour and a half and didnt get much... more digging i guess.

thanks guys! big help

grassworkzgarage
20th February 2006, 05:34 PM
ive got a jdm diff with trd 2way lsd and the disk brakez leave the drums for dead
plus my 4.7 gear ratio is the one of the best things about it
some people dont really care about ratios but im tell ya once you have
a higher ratio you'll never look back!!!

Tom86
21st February 2006, 02:26 PM
plus my 4.7 gear ratio is the one of the best things about it[/b]

true that the 4.3 i've got even make my 4ac rev quicker and generally nicer to drive.

xsoarerx
21st February 2006, 03:42 PM
whats the years of the two different T18 models, ive been looking but i cant find the info about them, jsut that theres Te71, te72... jsut want to know what year diff im looking for that has all the right mounts.

ha... still undesided, so if i can get a t18 under 250 ill probley go that way. can always change later.

AEGZE
21st February 2006, 03:46 PM
just lock the diff...haha...cheapest way and u get 110% fun out of it. and when u break it after about half a yr..then u can buy the jdm diff. thats pretty much what i did. trust me its a lot easier to hang out sideways with a locked t18, but its a rough ride..and u get the occasional understeer..but hey~ easy to swing out, easy to bring back and easy to lose control http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif its even easier to swing out than 2way.