PDA

View Full Version : sound deadening

haul
13th March 2006, 04:31 PM
hey all i was just wondering which is a better sound deadening. u know the sound deadening matts that you buy? well i was thinking of chipping the tar off the floor of my car and maybe replacing it with those mats. would this be better or worse? i know it sounds like a stupid idea but culd u humour me? thanx

NickAE86
13th March 2006, 04:44 PM
most people remove the sound deadening to save on weight. The only benefit i can see with usuing the mats is that you can have them in the car if you wish to quieten it down & remove it when you get out to the track

parrot
16th March 2006, 03:53 PM
Mine weighed 17kgs.

Jonny Rochester
17th March 2006, 12:34 AM
Yes, chipping tar off then putting tar on sounds stupid, because it is. Decide what you want.

Less tar = more noise
More tar = less noise

As well as tar, carpet underlay will reduce noise and give some heat insulation.

For a daily driver that sees the track once in three months, you are better off with a full interia.

For a rally/race car that competes in a 1600cc devision, strip the interia and all sound insulation for a competitive edge in weight.

For a turbo car, a small amount of tar weighing the car down is hardly going to make any difference at all. For a car stuck at 1600cc with no turbo, reducing weight will be worthwhile.

It is possiable you are thinking of using sound deadening sheets made of something else, not tar, that would be lighter?

parrot
17th March 2006, 11:41 AM
I went the dry ice method, huge pieces come off cleanly without leaving residue everywhere. Beautiful

KE70Drifter
17th March 2006, 01:41 PM
i used a chisel then when most is off line car with rags and pour turps all over them, the next day it will just wipe off the tar leaving a clean finish and no scrubbing required.

verm69
17th March 2006, 04:13 PM
Dry ice hey???

i'm gonna try that. Beats a hammer and chizel! ha ha!!

took me about 1 and a half hours last night to do around the gear box last night... not fun!

haul
17th March 2006, 05:32 PM
yeah thats what i was thinkin that id use sound deadening matts in place of the tar to save weight. i know everyone's like if u wanna save weight have NOTHING but since i wont be weighing it down with a roll cage so im still concerned about weight and i can afford some creature comforts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

The Doc
18th March 2006, 02:48 AM
I have done this to a few sprinters already.....
The max I have got was 25kgs.... thats doing the firewall as well.

Me mate had try those sound deadening matts that you can buy from the carpet place. And its GOOD !!! a lot lighter.... not that much lighter... but it feels really comfortable in the car.

I am keeping my tar in my sprinter at the moment... and plan to loose 25kg myself.
hahaa, maybe that way I can hear my stero and my car might be quicker.

Also use a oxy, skim through the surface a few seconds... then you can peal the whole sheet off !!
takes only minutes to do the car !!

haul
18th March 2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by The Doc@Mar 18 2006, 01:48 AM
Me mate had try those sound deadening matts that you can buy from the carpet place. And its GOOD !!! a lot lighter.... not that much lighter... but it feels really comfortable in the car.
im assuming one of those "lighter"s is sposed to be a "quieter" or a "louder" culd u rephrase that please http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif