PDA

View Full Version : alternative gearboxes to t-50

Brenton 86
16th March 2006, 07:07 PM
I need some clarification on a stronger gearbox, as mine is farked and im not going to rebuild it for it to break again. I have heard vague comments that a supra w5 can be used with a hybrid bell housing. Also if this is true is that series of box easy to find i.e cheap and also how much is the new bell housing. Any help would be greatly appreiciated. Also please only consice responses as i will need to understand exactly what im talking about before i buy the parts. thanks

Jason
16th March 2006, 07:16 PM
google is scary isnt it?

yes a W5* + a 4a>W5* bell housing is needed. IIRC the going price for bellhousing is $300-400

NickAE86
16th March 2006, 07:23 PM
w55, w57, w58 are common swaps although the w57 & w58 shifter position is better suited to a ae86

my 57 is from an ra60 celica...cost me $200.

bellhousings can be bought to suit a 4a/w * setup...a few people on these forums sell them otherwise you can contact Dellows to purchase an adaptor plate to suit your t50 housing

search the old toymods forums...theres even stickys that run you through all the different types, cost etc. I can recall numerous threads where all the relevant info was discussed

KE70Drifter
16th March 2006, 09:26 PM
I got my adaptor plate made for my W55+4A bell housing cost $300 and works fine.

exquisit
17th March 2006, 02:33 AM
wots this google u keep talkin about jason?
=p

Jonny Rochester
17th March 2006, 09:57 AM
Sometimes the T50 works quite well. It depends on power levels, and the way it is driven.

There are two main ways to fit a W5# gearbox.

Get a bellhousing. There are about 3 different companys making them, from either Aus, NZ or Japan.

Or you can make a 20mm alloy adapter plate. This way you use the T50 bellhousing and the W5# gearbox. The 20mm plate goes inbetween the two. You then need to make other spacers between the crank and pilot bearing. There is a guy in Tas here that has made 2 of these so far. You may also need a custom clutch, and custom tailshaft, and custom gearbox crossmember.

3sglevin
17th March 2006, 10:14 AM
I ran a W series gearbox in my car for a while although it was behind a 3SG but they are strong enough to do the job. I am sure what Jonny has written ubove would be pretty close to accurate, it would be a big job to do it, but I doubt you would have many troubles after that. I though i read on the old toymods forume that Dellows where doing a bellhousing, I think Bill Sherwood had a couple he was selling, maybe all sold now. I have also hear of a guy in sydney that may be having some made up soonish. You can get the right shifter to get it in the standard hole, there are lots of different positions you can get from different models.

Brenton 86
17th March 2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the help, would someone be able to give me names of these companies and possibly there ph. numbers as im having trouble finding them online and in directories. Also with a 4a-w5* i obviously need to change the clutch and tailshaft but can i use the 4agze-t50 flywheel and also dose the slave cylinder still bolt up normally. Iv also been able to find w55's quite easily and cheap, so how different is the shifting positon? i also have more questions which would probably be best answered by the company making the bellhousing so if someone could get me a number it would be greatly appreiciated.
thanks

slydar
17th March 2006, 10:36 AM
dellow sells one. qulaity is iffy but that one has the starter on the drivers side. good for turbo.

castlemaine rod shop has them. good qulaity. starter on the passenger side though.

nite parts out of new zealand does them. possibly the best but also most expensive.

theres a place in malaysia that does them. billsherwood buys them and brings them back when he can, hes a pilot.

we just bought a few off him. wont be here for about 2 months though.

monkeymajik
17th March 2006, 11:06 AM
If you want to keep similar ratio's the w55 is probably the closest match in that respect.

Blown86
17th March 2006, 11:32 AM
PRB do a Ford type 9 to 4age bell housing.

I believe the type 9 is a bit stronger than a T50, although I'm yet to verify how much.

Heaps of after market bits for the type 9 if your keen.

Brenton 86
17th March 2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks again for the imput, iv now contacted some of the mentioned places:
Dellows, wants $495 not incl. delivery for just the bellhousing and "$900+" for a w55 gearbox without bellhousing.

Castlemaine rod shop, said they dont do them, which i was dissappointed cos they do good work http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

So looks like i will be purchasing another t-50 and waiting for someone else (slydar) to get the bellhousings. I can get a w55 for $250 anyday of the week so if anyone happens to come across just the housing please pm, instantly!. Also does anyone no which shifting position on the w55 suits an ae86? 14" - 18" - 19" - 20.5" - 21".

Once again thanks for the imput and in anyone else noes a distributor of belkl housing please add them, thanks

KE70Drifter
17th March 2006, 01:52 PM
I would suggest just go with the adaptor that i am using it works fine. As said about its $300 so therefore you just need to find a W55 + T50 bell housing and you are set. Maybe machine out the bell housing a little bit so the 4AGZE flywheel will fit.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/84288.jpg (http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=t50bellw55box6rn.jpg)

Iain

upgarage
17th March 2006, 02:10 PM
you could also try steve-ae86 or billzilla
pretty sure they both had some bellhousings at some stage

KE70Drifter
17th March 2006, 02:14 PM
steve's was a group buy on toymods im sure a year or so ago. Billzilla is bill sherwood im sure.

slydar
19th March 2006, 04:15 AM
by the sounds of it if youre keen trying searching nite parts on the old toymods forums, i wouldnt pay that price for dellow in a pink fit.

slydar
19th March 2006, 04:16 AM
but yeah ant paid for 4 i think, though like i said, youre looking at 2 months..