PDA

View Full Version : Help with Boiling sound..

dirty_86
21st March 2006, 08:18 PM
Car: 1983 Toyota Sprinter ( Aus Spec )
Engine : 4AC..

hey guys concerned bout my car. After a long drive in my 86.. i put it in the garage and heard a boiling sound, so i popped the hood. As i looked in my Radiator reserve i hear a boiling sound really hard boiling sound like a kettle boiling. The radiator isn't empty and is filled, same with the reserve can any1 tell me what the problem is?.. Temp reads to around Half way. Replies with help will be much apprectiated thanks..

OBE353
21st March 2006, 08:22 PM
it sounds like u got alot of pressure there? after a bit of a drive r the radiators swollen and tight with pressure? u may have a slight blow in the head gasket......is the water in your overflow bottle milky or really porridgee

wateva u do tho dont crack the rad. cap when its pressurised

dirty_86
21st March 2006, 08:26 PM
nup not milky at all its green colant ..

mc68
21st March 2006, 08:41 PM
were you losing coolant out of the overflow?

might had done a head gasket, or try a new rad cap.

dirty_86
21st March 2006, 08:43 PM
not loosing any coolant at all and the cap is new

boosted86
21st March 2006, 09:02 PM
you may need to get a new thermostat and if that doesnt work maybe a new water pump and radiator service but start at the thermostat first because its the most likely cause of what you're describing and the cheapest and easiest

dirty_86
21st March 2006, 09:06 PM
what if the thermo was out?

boosted86
21st March 2006, 09:26 PM
how long was a long drive? were you getting up it or taking it easy?

dirty_86
21st March 2006, 09:55 PM
i took it easy it was a drive from blacktown to kellyville.. on the way back home gave it a bit not to much

boosted86
21st March 2006, 10:35 PM
id say start with pressure testing the cooling system and do a compression test and if thats all good you'll probably need to pull your water pump off and check the impellers for corrosion. you should also check your drive belt just in case

riceburner
26th March 2006, 11:23 AM
I noticed the other day i was mucking around in the shed and found an old 4ac water pump, i have a new 4ag water pump on my computer desk so i thought id compare.

Low and behold, on the 4ac pump, the fins on the water pump were almost gone, i mean worn right down to the point that it mighten even move water.

So maybe you pump has had its day and in saying that not moving much water, and creating hot spots in the motor.

Cheers

Steve

genkin
26th March 2006, 01:06 PM
get some eggs and peas and have a party!

I know i'm down for a boiled egg and pea 86 party!?
who else is in?

could you source exactly where the sound was coming from??
the rad cap?
overflow bottle?
engine block? :S

dirty_86
26th March 2006, 04:51 PM
defendly overflow bottle.. i saw it boiling in the bottle><

mc68
26th March 2006, 05:24 PM
my guess is still head gasket mate...

it may be getting excessive compression in the water system and dumping it all (what it thinks is overflow into the bottle) then again i may be wrong...

runa a cooling system pressure test and a engine compression test. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

riceburner
26th March 2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by mc68@Mar 26 2006, 05:24 PM
my guess is still head gasket mate...

it may be getting excessive compression in the water system and dumping it all (what it thinks is overflow into the bottle) then again i may be wrong...

runa a cooling system pressure test and a engine compression test. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif
Possible head gasket, but why is the water temp reading still with in normal range.

Perhaps a blocked thermostat.

Cheers

Steve

tuf_rolla
26th March 2006, 07:39 PM
I had the same problem on my 4runner 4y engine. The pressure venting from the cooling system into the overflow bottle. In the end the head gasket went slowly and the temp gauge didn't register it. I warped the head 30 thou and had to get it straightened and the valves lapped. My advice is take it down to a radiator shop and get them to put the little sensor into the rad and test for exhaust fumes. This will tell you if you have head issues.

TT

dirty_86
26th March 2006, 09:40 PM
oh thx ill check thermo ( hope for the best it is the thermo) if it isn't and worse come to worse its the head gasket wouldn't the temp show an erratic reading?... just a thought thanks for the replies

dirty_86
26th March 2006, 09:47 PM
how much does it cost for a presure test and a compression test.. if it is head gasket how much for parts and stuff?.. coolant is green as.. >< im not loosing any water at all>< head gasket hope to god it isn't

mc68
26th March 2006, 10:12 PM
cooling test and comp test shouldnt cost u much, maybe half an hr labour tops...

if the head gasket is gone get a 4age...http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

dirty_86
27th March 2006, 06:13 AM
i dun have the money YET>< and i was going for an SR20DE at the end of the year when i actually get my P's>< that was my plan..

Blown86
27th March 2006, 08:37 AM
Considering over heating is a cause of a buggered head gasket rather than a definitive sign of a BHG....
You'd notice some scum in the radiator neck and over flow bottle if it's a BHG, likely milkiness in the oil.

Radiator can be blocked, if it's original it's old.
Perhaps thermostat, but they've always failed open for me.

LOL at the BHG theory, drive around an over heating car for ages and then blame it on a BHG??? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

AE86 LSG
27th March 2006, 02:02 PM
so was it the thermostat that would be my bet? i had a similar prob with my 4age and it was the thermostat that caused all the hassle.

dirty_86
28th March 2006, 09:26 PM
wel im a first year apprentice and my teacher at tafe sed its a blockage, as im not loosing any water so it cnt be a BHG thank god http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif he sed check my thermo, if thats fine, radiator blockage.. if not that den its sumwhere in the block><!

dirty_86
29th March 2006, 07:06 PM
oooo so im not alone lol!.. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif im gonna test my thermostat if it isn't that radiator it is><

dirty_86
30th March 2006, 11:06 PM
hope it fixes the problem.. working at night sucks! lol u tend to loose bolts and tools, dam flashlights><

mattysshop
31st March 2006, 07:41 AM
if you take it to a decent workshop they can anylaise the water/gas content of your coolent.. tells you wheather or not your gasket is gone http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

dirty_86
2nd April 2006, 01:15 AM
hahah yeah teacher at tafe told me to do that.. gonna do it tomorow or sumfin, first gonna get my timing corrected.. apprently the timing is off making the engine run rough..

JinxD
5th April 2006, 01:50 PM
could also check your radiator i nearly had the exact same problem but worse when i first took mine out for a slide check the core and fins

LEVIN
13th April 2006, 01:05 AM
Your coolant is boling back into the overflow then you most probally have air in your cooling system and it needs to be bled, I would recommend changing of the thermostat and coolant, and bleed it through properly. dont bother with a second hand thermostat cause new thermostats these days aren't very expensive.(Apprentice = Trade Price)

I found my sprinter was boling checked it on a 4 gas analyser, nothing. Turned out the Radiator cap was sealing too tightly on the radiator. So i wound it back to the stop and drove it like that. It began recouperating the coolant back through the overflow and it has stopped boiling and has a full cooling system and does not boil anymore. I dont recommend doing the same thing but it worked for me.

Hope this helps you