PDA

View Full Version : $1000 to fix 4ac and still pisses oil

Blood Child
25th March 2006, 10:36 PM
here's a brand new mega noob 'technical question for y'all: (well 2 actually)

1. if i just had an oil change and i'm poor, do i put like a bucket or something under the sump and just undo the plug then pour it all back in the top? (sounds pointless, but it seems i need to replace my sump plug gasket).
i also have oil leaking out the side of my *timing cover?*(plastic thingy that goes on the front of the motor) cos it can't seal properly due to one of the bolt holes on it being rather mangled.

2. wondering what tyre pressure i should be running (told u i was a mega noob). i'm running 32psi at the moment and it seems a lil bit bumpy

cheers and thanks in advance

SprinterTRD
25th March 2006, 10:45 PM
1, depends on how old the oil is. Personally I wouldnt as you can never tell if anything has fallen into the oil.

32 PSI is ok but it depends on the tyre

biggo
25th March 2006, 10:53 PM
oil is cheap insurance

and id drop the pressure down to 28 odd psi for city driving.

Blood Child
26th March 2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by SprinterTRD@Mar 25 2006, 09:45 PM
1, depends on how old the oil is. Personally I wouldnt as you can never tell if anything has fallen into the oil.

32 PSI is ok but it depends on the tyre
oil wouldn't be more that a week old. i just replaced the sump plug gasket but it didn't seem to help much. just wondering if there is a good way to seal the thread a bit better or something?

also i'm running 195/60 14"s rear and 185/70 13"s front, neither say how much pressure to use

cheers

SprinterTRD
26th March 2006, 12:55 AM
Did you change the filter as well? If you have then I wonder if you have not tightened it correctly and poped the filter seal out.

28 will be ok bit its a 60 series tire so less pressure it will make the side walls flex more when you go around corners.

BTW, yor speedo must be out using 14"60 series tyres on the back.

Blood Child
26th March 2006, 01:29 AM
basically my ex mechanic was fixing my car cos i blew it up, and he sez to me 'buy me some oil,oil filter and STP'. but i'm pretty sure it's not the filter cos i wiped a rag around the sump plug area and within less than a minute, oil had started to drip from the plug and there was no sign of it coming from anywhere else

cheers

riceburner
26th March 2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Blood Child@Mar 26 2006, 01:29 AM
basically my ex mechanic was fixing my car cos i blew it up, and he sez to me 'buy me some oil,oil filter and STP'. but i'm pretty sure it's not the filter cos i wiped a rag around the sump plug area and within less than a minute, oil had started to drip from the plug and there was no sign of it coming from anywhere else

cheers
Go to a automotive parts place (repco, autopro etc) and ask if they supply brass or leather sump plug gaskets.

If not, make you own.

Ive had 1 leather one for 4yrs and i change oil every 5000kms or so.

Never had a problem.

Majority of tyres will have the recomeneded pressure stamped into the sidewall.

Id put the psi up to 36-39 and leave it there.

Premature tyre wear + lower grip with less pressure.

FWIW those tyre gauges at servo's are only ever 90% accurate. Get your own, there not expensive.

Cheers

Steve

DRiiFT_King
26th March 2006, 07:52 PM
toyotas only use fibre washers, you can use a bit of salastic to seal the plug but you shouldnt need to. are you sure you havnt over tightened the sump plug because that can be easy to stuff the thread

taitran
26th March 2006, 08:39 PM
Use a fibre (paper) sump washer, aswell as a generous winding of thread tape, or thread paste. And as driiift_king said dont overtighten, just tighten till it budges and dont use a long spanner as they tend to have too much torque.

Blood Child
26th March 2006, 08:45 PM
yeah i replaced the washer with a new fibre one but it didn't help, so i was thinking thread tape like taitran sez. that pink stuff should be fine right?

taitran
26th March 2006, 08:48 PM
Yeah any type should be fine, dont be stingy with the tape wind on heaps of it like 10 rotations. And it should fix the problem. I normally use a brand called WURTH and have no problems since.

Monk
26th March 2006, 08:58 PM
Edit - I dont know

Blood Child
31st March 2006, 12:50 AM
engine has been idling really low too (350-600rpm) and making funny noises.
i had a bit of a look around and found at least 2 broken vacuum hoses. also the lil plastic bit they all go to has a broken bit.
gonna go to supercheap again this weekend and try to buy a metre or so of the stuff and hope that at least fixes the funny noises

Blood Child
31st March 2006, 12:51 AM
oh yeah, garage shanty boyz, i'm coming down this weekend. give me a call (0410614731) and let me know what ur doing

cheers - Dwayne

mattysshop
31st March 2006, 07:36 AM
FIPG http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif toyota genuine sealant.. got heaps of tubes.. of the black and red.. i'd just use a bit of ultra-blue silicone..

psi_72
31st March 2006, 11:15 AM
I'd just get a 4AGE and solve the problem lol http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mattysshop
31st March 2006, 12:31 PM
yes.. failing that i have 3 4AC's of your choice you can have.. each for $100 http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif there all running etc complete.. and i even have an EFI setup for one!

Teddy
31st March 2006, 07:30 PM
FIPG - Black is for motors & Coolant. Red is for gearbox's. Its good stuff. Really.

Smurf poo is good also, but its blue, and its yucky. And its not toyota http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

Tyre pressures should be 34 for soft ride, 36 for less soft ride, longer tyre life. Anyone whos been saying 28 or there abouts psi for tyre pressures.. hell, im glad you can afford new tyres http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif -

Make sure your running something like 20w50 oil - nothing too thin, otherwize you'll REALLY find out just how many hard seals your ol 4a has.. Like the time we put VVTI 15W30 oil into an Sv21 camry. There was so many hard seals in that motor that was cloged up with old oil.. as soon as the thing started up with the VVTI oil, you could liturally see the oil seaping out of the motor. Ahahah, the entire workshop then filled up with smoke, and angry technitions. God dam camrys. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

If you sump screw thead is rooted, honostly, your gona need to redo the gasket for the sump anyway - just get another sump - hell, i through one out the other day.. god dam oversized paperweights.

Toyota washers are the_shit. Do them up to the recomend tighness specification, and you will not have any troubles. Personally, once the oils been in the motor, and it comes out, you only put new stuff in. I dont like to re-use oil at all.

Oh did i mention that i hate Sv21's ?

driftae86
1st April 2006, 04:00 AM
yeh i had ths same prob with my sump plug. i used a fibre washer from bunnings i think it was and it was shit, still kept leaking. last monday i got a toyota sump plug washer from my mech and its perfect, worked a treat.