PDA

View Full Version : Front Hubs - Urgent please

skit
28th March 2006, 05:00 PM
Hi all,

Well I have had a front wheel bearing failure and upon removing the press-in bearing race from the front hubs I have found that the bearings have been over-tightened and spun the race inside the hub. So - in effect, my hubs have been machined out slightly and there is too much slop when the new bearing race was installed.

The car is an Aus delivered model which had a japanese vented brake assembly installed by the previous owner, though I'm not sure if the whole hub assembly was fitted to the car, or if just the caliper and rotor were switched over.

Can someone please confirm if the front hubs for Aus models and JDM models are the same/different? If anyone has part numbers for these I would much appreciate them. Toyota Aust. claims to have no new hubs, and will be checking with Japan shortly for me.

In the mean time, if someone has a second hand set of hubs (without the aforementioned type of damage!) and would like to get rid of them, I could be your new best friend.

I would imagine that being a cast item they cannot be built up and remachined - but if anyone knows any ways of repairing these (e.g. machining the hub further and installing a sleeve to go between the hub & bearing race, for instance) I would be keen to know.

I have a spare set of MA61 struts/brakes/hubs at home, but I'm pretty sure the Disc ID on these is slightly different from sprinter ones. Mixing and matching is the least favourable option though...

Thanks for your time
Scott

RobertoX
28th March 2006, 05:14 PM
i have a pair of hubs here, $90pr to your door, thanks

skit
28th March 2006, 05:21 PM
Cheers David. That's obviously second hand then - let me speak with Toyota tomorrow to hurry up their enquiry and hopefully within a few days I will know price & availability of newbies. Granted they won't be cheap, but I would like to compare anyhow.

Assuming I bought your 2nd handers - would you be happy to refund the cost if we are not satisfied with their condition on recieval (with respect to the problems with mine)?

Scott

RobertoX
30th March 2006, 11:57 AM
gday mate, yes mine are second hand

they were in good condition when they came off a car, so i dont see how in transit they would suddenly develop a problem

but yes i would refund for the parts i they arent in a satifactory condition

if you will pay for new hubs... then WOW, they will take a MINIMUM of 4 weeks to get here

RobertoX
30th March 2006, 12:07 PM
genuine are $260pr with out studs, and obviously 4 weeks

rthy
30th March 2006, 12:31 PM
are jdm and adm hubs the same? bearing? studs? etc?

skit
30th March 2006, 02:05 PM
Rthy,

We compared my hub with an Aust hub on my freinds car - they appear to be identical, so much so that I'm prepared to accept that they are the same. But if someone can prove me wrong, do so by all means.

David,

Thanks for the pricing on new items. I would like to get the car going asap, and I had figured a 4-6 week wait would be in order for them. Pity I need to use the car in 4 weeks hey - I can get genuine parts at cost from Toyota which is why I was waiting on a price back from them.

No doubt I will cave in given another day or so when Toyota confirm there are none here - in which case I will grab yours. Cars on jack stands for too long make me grumpy.

Scott

rthy
30th March 2006, 02:57 PM
thanks http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

RobertoX
30th March 2006, 02:58 PM
i have epc and an account with toyota, i have already rang them and there are none in the country

the bearings are the same, the studs are the same, the discs are interchangable so i wil say they are identical

RobertoX
30th March 2006, 03:02 PM
just pm me when you are ready

skit
30th March 2006, 04:49 PM
OK T/S, will PM you from now on to save cluttering the thread.