PDA

View Full Version : hilux/hiace diffs

psi_72
29th March 2006, 12:38 PM
hey guys just wonderin bout hilux/hiace diffs,
i know that there longer than sprinter diff im not too sure by how much, but how hav people made them fit, did they get shortened? or were the guards just flaired or something, im very interested in this, i think slydar had one for sale a while ago a 'G' series diff if i remember correctly and it was to suit sprinter, i wouldve bought it but it sold lol,

thanks guys any help will be appretiated
Scott

biggo
29th March 2006, 01:07 PM
Hilux/hiace have leaf springs which means you would also have to weld some spring seats onto them.

psi_72
29th March 2006, 01:29 PM
yea dude i kno that, but im just wonderin if they were shortened mainly

cheers

AE86slut
29th March 2006, 04:57 PM
I got mine out of an RN41 Hilux and it's almost spot-on with the S or T-series in length - 1410mm.

As mentioned, spring seats will ahve to be swapped over from an S or T-series, along with trailing arm mounts and panhard mount. Your tailshaft will also have to be modified.

psi_72
30th March 2006, 12:11 AM
oh really shit ay, i didnt realise that they would actually have around the same length, so what is an RN41 hilux i have no idea i only kno by year model, so yea lol like what year approx? cheers man its a big help, oh and one other thing, what were the rear brakes like to connect back up and drama's before i go out an buy one? cheers mate just the stuff i was after. oh and another thing i take it that its like an 8" diff or something like that, cheers

Scott

AE86slut
30th March 2006, 10:32 AM
oh really shit ay, i didnt realise that they would actually have around the same length, so what is an RN41 hilux i have no idea i only kno by year model, so yea lol like what year approx? cheers man its a big help, oh and one other thing, what were the rear brakes like to connect back up and drama's before i go out an buy one? cheers mate just the stuff i was after. oh and another thing i take it that its like an 8" diff or something like that, cheers

Scott[/b]

Hi Scott,

I'm pretty sure it was an '83 or '84 model.

Dunno about hooking the drums up as I'm doing a disk conversion on it as well. I can't see there being any real problems fitting the AE86 line to the Hilux lines/block though.

One thing you want to make sure of though, is that you definately want and need to stuff an 80kg, 8" rear end under your car. It's probably overkill in most cases. Then again, it is only around 18kg heavier than a T-series diff.

psi_72
30th March 2006, 11:36 PM
hey man thanks for that yea i looked it up today about the hilux's an RN41 is from '78--'83.
i will definantly need a good dif like this because as to many ppls disgust, im puttin a sr20 into my sprinter, and plan on driving it hard, so i want a diff i wont really have to worry about again. one thing more tho did u flair your guards a little bit to fit diferent wheels on for the slightly longer wheelbase of the hilux diff? cheers mate youve been a big help its greatly appretiated http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Scott

AE86slut
31st March 2006, 09:36 AM
No problem Scott. I'm using flares, so clearance is not an issue. However, considering they are the same width, there shouldn't be too much of a problem. I was using 15x8.5" rims with close to 0 offset without any dramas with lipped/slightly flared arches.

psi_72
31st March 2006, 11:07 AM
thanks for the info mate you've been a big help, its very much appretiated

Cheers
Scott

Dongaz
5th April 2006, 05:42 PM
Instead of using a hilux diff in the sprinter, would there be another strong diff that could support a sr20det?

samuel
5th April 2006, 07:06 PM
Err Volvo http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

flamingheads
5th April 2006, 09:15 PM
Isnt there a good article on diffs on toymods or somthing?

Big T
5th April 2006, 09:56 PM
Instead of using a hilux diff in the sprinter, would there be another strong diff that could support a sr20det?[/b]

F-series 7.5" diff. That's what i'll be using behind a 200+rwkw 4agte. There's a guy that has used one behind a 2jzgte for over 2 years without problems. I should add, he drives the car VERY hard and has already broken several w58 boxes.

Eddie.

slydar
6th April 2006, 01:44 AM
the diff we sold wolfwood was an E series. though this was out of a lite ace.

Turbokid
7th April 2006, 03:22 PM
Has anyone tried to fit a nissan independent rear end? I don't really want to but I'm going to need something strong for a 200rwkw CA. Hilux is a little agricultural for my liking. Tell me more about this Hiace diff Dimitri

psi_72
8th April 2006, 01:12 PM
yes please tell us more about that diff, just stuff like the wheel base of the lite ace, was it same/similar to the spriner one or longer? what did u do before it fit the sprinter? flaired guards etc? cheeers bud
scott

Dongaz
8th April 2006, 11:25 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=211478)

Instead of using a hilux diff in the sprinter, would there be another strong diff that could support a sr20det?[/b]

F-series 7.5" diff. That's what i'll be using behind a 200+rwkw 4agte. There's a guy that has used one behind a 2jzgte for over 2 years without problems. I should add, he drives the car VERY hard and has already broken several w58 boxes.

Eddie.
[/b]

Sorry but im unfamiliar what the different series diffs are from what. If you could explain this that would be great. What kind of modifying would be needed to make the F series 7.5" diff fit?
Thx

Big T
8th April 2006, 11:45 PM
Well there are a few different types of toyota diffs with the most popular being T, F and the G series. The E-series mentioned above is a 7.1" diff. I wasn't aware that aftermarket LSDs were available for this diff so i never considered it.

My F-series is from a Mk2 Corona and is the perfect width for a sprinter without shortening required (1410mm). I was very lucky to find one of these are they are getting pretty rare these days. You can also source F's from old Crowns and a particular Tarago but they'll be a bit on the wide side (1450mm). You can find all the info with a search on Toymods.

Like most diff conversions you need a doner diff to make a jig with and to chop the trailing arm, shock, swaybar mounts, spring perches out of. It's best to have this done by a professional as welding up the diff casing can warp it very easily. I dropped mine off today at Craft Diffs and should cost around $400 for the conversion.

The up side to using this diff is that True-trak torsen centres are relatively cheap and will rarely need servicing because they don't use clutch packs that wear out. Or you can use a factory MA61 LSD which ive seen go for as cheap as $300 or so. It's also much lighter than a G-series so doesn't add much unsprung weight to the car.

Eddie.

Son_Ya
16th May 2007, 02:04 PM
has anyone had a lite ace diff in there with the standard ratio? whats it like? pretty van like?

floody31
17th May 2007, 01:06 AM
Err Volvo http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif[/b]

Thinking 240 series volvos, actually not a bad idea, cheap, strong, disc brakes, good handbrake, lots of aftermarket LSD centres (its a Dana 30 if I remember right).
Not sure on width, stud pattern is 5x108 so definitely wants changing. Major downside is diff ratios suitable to a corolla are pretty much non-existent, most are in the mid 3.?:1 range.