PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference?

stouty
5th April 2006, 09:44 PM
Sorry guys dont want to sound like a retard but whats the difference between AE-71 and KE-70? Im new to the corolla game so i dont no can you guys help me out. And what type of price should you pay for a stock one. Also could someone post up some pics of each so i know what each looks like. Thanks guys.

samuel
5th April 2006, 09:53 PM
KE70 (has hi-cam badge on front guards)
Came with 1300cc "4K-C" engine

AE71 (has "1.6" badge on front guards)
Came with 1600cc "4A-C" engine...

You need us to post pics?

Go to www.ke70.com ... Matt had a heap of info up there not sure if it still is or not.

Prices.

KE70
Up to $800 for one with rust but drivable.
$800 - $1500 for a clean one that drives.
$1500+ for ones with aftermarket suspension, 4AGE engine swaps etc

AE71
Up to $1000 with rust but drivable
Up to $2000 for a clean example of a 5 speed manual
$2000+ for ones with aftermarket bits / 4AGE swaps etc

DONT BUY AN AUTO IF U WANT A MANUAL IN THE LONG RUN! It is a pain in the ARSE swap to take the entire fucking dash out to swap the pedal box. Just my 2 cents worth on that one.

I'm about to sell mine. Where are you from?

stouty
5th April 2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks heaps mate. I live in NSW Forster-Tuncurry 2 hours north of Newcastle 4 hours north of Sydney. Can u post up some info about yours. So the bodys of the AE-71 and KE-70 are the same just different engines.

slydar
6th April 2006, 01:49 AM
ae71s already have a hydraulic clutch and t50 transmission. so you can just bolt in a 4ag just like you do an 86.

ke70s are cable clutch, you so have to swap the pedal, and also swap the engine crossmember to suit 4ag engine mounts.

the only reason you get a ke70 is if you really prefer the earlier style headlights.

otherwise you would do yourself a favour and buy a manual AE71.

flamingheads
6th April 2006, 12:03 PM
I thought KE70s were 4 speed as well and AE71s have the same gear (engine, gearbox) as the Aus spec sprinters, which makes the 4AGE conversion a fair bit simpler.

Gilly
6th April 2006, 12:41 PM
you can get 4 and 5 speed ke70's. ae71 uses same running gear as adm ae86, however i am unsure as to whether they use an s series in the ae71 or the borgwarner diff same as ke70's

rthy
6th April 2006, 01:10 PM
the ae71's and ke70's have the same borgwarner diff with 2 piece tailshaft WITH OUT FLANGE. where the ae86 and t18 has this flange type section so they can be swapped

i recently put a s series into a ae71
pretty much need the whole s series diff, ae86 tailshaft 2 piece flange type tailshaft & ae71 handbrake cables as the ae86's are a little( shorter).
they all bolt in, much better as the diff doesnt make noise like the borgwarner... but for some reason the borgwarner is alot tighter, it tends to spin both wheels....

slydar
6th April 2006, 02:04 PM
the ae71's and ke70's have the same borgwarner diff with single piece tailshaft.

i recently put a s series into a ae71
pretty much need the whole s series diff, ae86 tailshaft 2 piece tailshaft & ae71 handbrake cables as the ae86's are a little( shorter).
they all bolt in, much better as the diff doesnt make noise like the borgwarner... but for some reason the borgwarner is alot tighter, it tends to spin both wheels....[/b]

whats happening is from asbuse the "spindle" that the planetary gears run on has has elongated/ovalised the hole it sits in in the carrier. so when you nail it the gears car rock forward and they will bind and lock. kinda cool i guess but not something you can plan for and eventually they will break http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

rthy
6th April 2006, 02:26 PM
yea the 4ac was to much for the borgwarner diff...
the s series is a much smoother open center with out the fear of it locking up http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

RobertoX
6th April 2006, 02:43 PM
borg warner diffs are tuff as! well for 40hp, but yeah ke70 and ae71 have 2 piece tail shafts

also ae71 have enertia reel rear seay belts
XX ke70 have remote boot and fuel release

xx and ae71 have tacho dashs

rthy
6th April 2006, 02:53 PM
oh yeah, i mean ke70s and ae71 are all in one longe piece where as the ae86 and t18 has that adaptor or flange bolt connection thing

Andrew
6th April 2006, 06:45 PM
I've been wondering the same thing lately. I'm on the hunt for a Sprinter but I want to find the right one first so I was considering getting an AE71 as a first car (...if I could stop failing my L's http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif) until one comes along. They look like a fun little beater.

samuel
6th April 2006, 06:52 PM
Just get an AE71

There are shitloads out there and tossers don't just sell a stock one for $3000+ unlike people profiting off stock box aus spec AE86s

Andrew
6th April 2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I'm on the look out for a decent one. I'm not far from you, how much would yours be going for?