PDA

View Full Version : Xt130 struts brake upgrade

Ksevn-T
10th March 2009, 07:19 PM
hey guys,

Have the whole xt130 suspension setup in the front of my ke. I heard somewhere you could put cresida Mx73 or 63* disks on (straight bolt in), to run with corona calipers? Advantage being that cresida disks are vented.

Cheers,

Alex

sr_rolla
10th March 2009, 09:09 PM
peugeot 604 rotors, hilux LN106 4wd calipers (late 80's to mid 90's shape), and a landcruiser (i think) master cylinder. 4 spot brakes and massive stopping power awaits. If you want a more detailed guide i have a step by step thing saved on my other computer. PM me if you want

Javal
10th March 2009, 09:58 PM
hey guys,

Have the whole xt130 suspension setup in the front of my ke. I heard somewhere you could put cresida Mx73 or 63* disks on (straight bolt in), to run with corona calipers? Advantage being that cresida disks are vented.

Cheers,

Alex

The upgrade you are referring to is the following

XT130 Struts
RA65 Rotors
MX62 Calipers
5mm washers
5mm longer bolts.

There's a thread on toymods about it.

From memory, you drill out the thread on the strut and put the washer in between the strut and caliper, but best double check.

slydar
10th March 2009, 10:10 PM
The upgrade you are referring to is the following

XT130 Struts
RA65 Rotors
MX62 Calipers
5mm washers
5mm longer bolts.

There's a thread on toymods about it.

From memory, you drill out the thread on the strut and put the washer in between the strut and caliper, but best double check.

i have this set up. it isnt quite that simple.

youre right about the drilling out of the threads on the caliper bracket (part of the stub axle on the xt strut)

but the inboard side of the xt bracket is not flat. it needs to be milled flat. its a bit tricky to set up in the bed of the mill too. and the steel is quite hard (which is good i guess). the spacer size depends on the amount you mill off.

ill post some pics later.

resol
10th March 2009, 10:58 PM
why do you need to upgrade the twin pots for a corolla wagon? better tyres would make more of a difference!

vented rotors dont give you more stopping power, they just dissapate heat more, which if your REALLY pushing it will mean the brakes are more consistant after heavy extended use.

if you want more stopping power try better pads, slotted rotors, or better tyres

-dan

Javal
10th March 2009, 11:03 PM
why do you need to upgrade the twin pots for a corolla wagon? better tyres would make more of a difference!

vented rotors dont give you more stopping power, they just dissapate heat more, which if your REALLY pushing it will mean the brakes are more consistant after heavy extended use.

if you want more stopping power try better pads, slotted rotors, or better tyres

-dan

Slotted rotors won't do a whole heap. Pads yes, and a god damn brake flush and bleed will do a world of good. however brake fade can still be an issue, which is why i'm looking into a vented upgrade for my bucket.

i have this set up. it isnt quite that simple.

youre right about the drilling out of the threads on the caliper bracket (part of the stub axle on the xt strut)

but the inboard side of the xt bracket is not flat. it needs to be milled flat. its a bit tricky to set up in the bed of the mill too. and the steel is quite hard (which is good i guess). the spacer size depends on the amount you mill off.

ill post some pics later.

I'm very interested to see this. Still tossing up between this and the pug hilux upgrade.

sr_rolla
10th March 2009, 11:27 PM
just a thought, can you split the corona calipers? coz if thats possible you could make up some spacer plates without to much drama and just run a vented version of the stock disk (need to check a rotor catalog for that info tho)

Konakid
10th March 2009, 11:28 PM
SR rolla, very interested in the details of the Pug hilux setup, PM me please!

Would a a standard RT142 corona MS be big enough for this upgrade? Unsure on its size.

Javal
10th March 2009, 11:37 PM
just a thought, can you split the corona calipers? coz if thats possible you could make up some spacer plates without to much drama and just run a vented version of the stock disk (need to check a rotor catalog for that info tho)

Corona caliper does not split, it's a D frame and caliper assembly, same as AE71 / AE86. RA65 rotor would be a close fit to this application, they are 3mm smaller diameter than a corona rotor, but vented.

Javal
10th March 2009, 11:38 PM

Would a a standard RT142 corona MS be big enough for this upgrade? Unsure on its size.

Should be stamped on the master. From memory it's 15/16".

It should accept the same m/c upgrades as the Ae86.

sr_rolla
10th March 2009, 11:53 PM
I know your a bit of a corona expert on here javal but im gonna have 2 call you on that D frame dealy. There are 2 types of calipers that came out on Xt130's, the D frame, single piston, sliding jobbie (girlock) and a twin piston jobbie that looks kinda like a hilux 4 spot but with 2 pistons missing (sumitomo). The sumitomo setup is the one that you need to use for the hilux upgrade (I know this coz ive done the xt130/hilux/pug upgrade about 3 times now), the girlock 1 sucks wang and wont fit. The sumitomo one is the one i think (not sure) may split. The girlock one definately doesnt (D frame, sliders etc).

Konakid: yeah but not tonight, im on the olds computer so maybe tomorrow.

The other thing i found out with the M/C arrangement, most of the decent sized masters are all 4 stud and the corolla/ae86 boosters are 2 stud. Well i found that certain KE70/AE86 boosters can be pulled apart and re-assembled at home, they have a lock ring thingo on the back in stead of that glue stuff. I split one of them, drilled the front half of the booster and put 4 studs in it so i could run the common, cheap 4 stud M/cylinders. Just makes things a heap easier when playing with different sized masters later down the track

sr_rolla
10th March 2009, 11:56 PM
Also, javal, i do have a few xt130 things i wanna pick your brain about in the next few months so watch your PM's

Sam-Q
11th March 2009, 10:28 AM
and there is a set of these twin piston calipers sitting at a wrecker down here in vic right now

Hokey
11th March 2009, 10:36 AM
all the info you need on the pug hilux setup is on toymods. heaps of threads on it

Ksevn-T
12th March 2009, 05:00 PM
I thought the large piston corona caliper was the best?
(Resol) Im after vented rotors for hill runs and because im running Hoshino impul G5's which are more of a solid wheel, They Would heat up a lot quicker then say a wheel with fins.
Didnt know how much of a hassle the conversion was either.

Alex

blinded
12th March 2009, 05:10 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9827/calipers.jpg

^ They are the 2 spot Sumitomos from a xt130 wagon. I'd say that they could be separated and spaced out? I run those on my car with the standard solid discs, and it pulls up very well.

Hen may possibly be a nut
12th March 2009, 06:52 PM
For the conversion Javal and Slydar mentioned, search Toymods for a thread by "rob" about a $250 vented brake upgrade or similar. It's all spelled out there.

I like it.

Hen

yoshimitsu9
12th March 2009, 08:02 PM
just a side note, other people may have different responses. its correct that ek9 civic rotors work too on this conversion? i would say go with the honda rotors over peugeot rotors because the peuogeots use the cheapest parts available hence why theres god knows how many different manufacturers/numbers etc. my neighbour used to manage a peugeot work shop and reckons that the rotors are only good for 10000km

Nic19
12th March 2009, 08:45 PM
whats the differences in physical size of the xt130 struts compared to the e7 type. might do this on my e7. would also been keen on the guide sr rolla
cheers
nic

blinded
12th March 2009, 09:14 PM
XT130 is a 266mm vs a 218mm rotor for standard KE70. Both 12mm thick solid discs, and as stated previously, the 'Rona ones are either single or twin pistion.

Javal
12th March 2009, 09:54 PM
I know your a bit of a corona expert on here javal but im gonna have 2 call you on that D frame dealy. There are 2 types of calipers that came out on Xt130's, the D frame, single piston, sliding jobbie (girlock) and a twin piston jobbie that looks kinda like a hilux 4 spot but with 2 pistons missing (sumitomo). The sumitomo setup is the one that you need to use for the hilux upgrade (I know this coz ive done the xt130/hilux/pug upgrade about 3 times now), the girlock 1 sucks wang and wont fit. The sumitomo one is the one i think (not sure) may split. The girlock one definately doesnt (D frame, sliders etc).

No mate, you're absolutely right. That slipped my mind.

Early XT130 has the girlocks, which i'm unfortunately stuck with.
Late XT130 has Sumitumos
RT132 / RT133 has Sumitumos

Same rotors.

So the early XT130 strut is useless in regards to the pug / hilux or Celica / Cressida brake upgrades?

I'm also not sure about the sumi's, i'll have a look next time i'm at U-pull-it.

slydar
12th March 2009, 10:19 PM

i wouldnt be using the xt strut in the wagon. you will get a lot of camber.

for corona, use ra60 celica (or stock if theyre the same) struts and nissan 4 pistons, the 4 pistons calipers bolt up to the celica struts. discs.. dunno. toymods has the answers though.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/8789.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/8790.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/8791.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/8792.jpg

only pics i have, can see the spacers in the top pic.

re the sumitomo calipers, i think the problem is you cant get many pads for them.

sr_rolla
12th March 2009, 11:49 PM
Javal: yes, as far as im aware the girlock caliper 1's are usless for said brake conversion.

Slydar: Dunno about those pads coz alot of the rally guys i know use those calipers as rears (hydraulic h/brake and whatnot) so there has to be some pads availible. Or at least some pads that can be made 2 fit.

Konakid: If they are going into a RT142 do what slydar said, or maybe adapt some hilux calipers to those struts...

actually, dont do that, then theres less calipers out there for me :-P

sr_rolla
12th March 2009, 11:50 PM
Also, javal, u may not be the only resident Xt130 driver soon, got my eye on a certain wagon and a 22re...

Javal
13th March 2009, 09:05 PM
Also, javal, u may not be the only resident Xt130 driver soon, got my eye on a certain wagon and a 22re...

WIN.

The Wagons are pimp as fuck. Slam it, you will never, ever regret it.

22RE will wake up a XT130 really well. I'll let you know how my 18R-G conversion goes when i've finished fixing the motor.

Water Boy
13th March 2009, 09:39 PM
I was speaking to a guy who ran a KE as a rally car in Vic and he used VN commodore calipers and Magna rotors. Anyone heard of this?

Jonny Rochester
13th March 2009, 10:09 PM
I was not aware that the XT130 ever came with twin piston brakes. Even if they did, the bolt spacing is the same. (Datsun Z with Sumitomo twin pistons can be swapped for HiLux Sumitomo 4 pistons. Bolt on). For my previous car, I used XT130 struts (with aussie Girlock brakes, as I thought they all had) and used them for the now famous HiLux brakes with Pugeot disks. Worked great. But it is a heavy brake caliper compared to alloy ones.

Jonny Rochester
13th March 2009, 10:10 PM
I was speaking to a guy who ran a KE as a rally car in Vic and he used VN commodore calipers and Magna rotors. Anyone heard of this?

It is common for guys in rally to use whatever they want. And the Magna disk happens to be big and cheap. Same with local Commodore brakes. There is no exact forumla. Rally guys don't use the internet. They just make it.

Javal
13th March 2009, 10:23 PM
It is common for guys in rally to use whatever they want. And the Magna disk happens to be big and cheap. Same with local Commodore brakes. There is no exact forumla. Rally guys don't use the internet. They just make it.

I've heard of the Commodore caliper / magna rotor being done before, but i'm not sure of any fine point on the matter.

Water Boy
14th March 2009, 11:53 AM
The guy said it was pretty much bolt up affair... But a said who knows its a "Rally Guy"

brucey
7th September 2012, 01:22 PM
No mate, you're absolutely right. That slipped my mind.

Early XT130 has the girlocks, which i'm unfortunately stuck with.
Late XT130 has Sumitumos
RT132 / RT133 has Sumitumos

Same rotors.

So the early XT130 strut is useless in regards to the pug / hilux or Celica / Cressida brake upgrades?

I'm also not sure about the sumi's, i'll have a look next time i'm at U-pull-it.

What issues would be encountered if the early XT130 struts with girlock calipers are used?
I'm looking at upgrading to XT130 struts with RA60 vented disks and MX62 calipers as described here:

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-conversions/25965-%24250-vented-brake-upgrade-ke30-35-55-also-celica-corona.html

There's an XT130 out the local wreckers with girlock calipers. The caliper bolt spacing looks to be around 90mm with the tape measure. Just wondering if I should get them or keep looking for the later model.

LittleRedSpirit
10th September 2012, 09:43 AM
The spacing is an imprerial measurement. 3.5 inches. Most all brake caliper, evenn aftermarket, come in imperial spacings. 3.5 or 5.5 inches is most common. 3.5x25.4 = 88.9mm which is what the xt130 bracket is spaced at.