PDA

View Full Version : Coilpack Seemingly Cactus

v-tec
4th June 2006, 11:51 AM
Ok, have no spark coming from the coilpack lead if i put it near an earth.
Got to this point after car not staring, checking for spark, nothing happening, changing dizzy cap blah blah..

basically i guess i should just go get a new coilpack tmro?
but was also wondering if it could be the ignitor? (either that or both...)
And also is there any other reason that no spark would be commming out? (minus battery not working)

any info appreciated http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

japlish
4th June 2006, 12:50 PM
If your not tight on money at the moment get a new coil pack, ( upgrade it while your at it)
If you don't want to spend the money an electrician could test the ignitor and coil pack on a bench for a couple of bucks ( 10 to 60?)

v-tec
4th June 2006, 02:29 PM
id say ill just get a new one either way, but yea just asking as i dont feel like putting the new one in and still have nothing happen.

so just trying to see if there would be any other causes

thanks for your advice http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

mikewestphoto
5th June 2006, 02:18 AM
Go to your local library, look at a manual with a big port 4age in it and look for the resistance values. Compare these with what your bits give and you should find the problem.

But my KE70 had a similar problem. Coming home from the beach, the car suddenly died for no apparent reason. The problem was a loose connection on the coil posts, the bolts even looked tight, it's only when I pulled everything apart and put it back together that it ran. It seems to be a common problem when engines are swapped

mattysshop
5th June 2006, 08:33 AM
what engine/setup are we talking about?

v-tec
5th June 2006, 01:31 PM
Stock 16v bigport...
out of a aw11 if u want to be specific

its not the coilpack, replaced it this arvo with a bran spanking new one and nothing

i still have no spark what soever, and the car just doesnt want to start.
if i get a chance i may try to get one of those manuels... but not much time on my hands

mattysshop
5th June 2006, 01:43 PM
coil is just called the coil.. not the coil pack..

will have a look at mine, and tell you what colours are ment to have power etc.. i'm not sure off the top of my head..

NickAE86
5th June 2006, 03:49 PM
have you tested the ignitor?

v-tec
5th June 2006, 06:53 PM
Coil, not coilpack... noted
cheers matty

nah, havent tested the ignitor. Appart from fuses or wiring, that would be the only other thing i could think of
i checked the fuses they all dont seem out of the normal, and the wiring was done properly.

How would i test the ignitor?

these probly do nothing but heres what it looks like atm, if it helps at all...

[attachment=3968:attachment]

[attachment=3969:attachment]

glad the wirings is nice and neat huh... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/7/5/4/536981.jpg

86sp
5th June 2006, 09:10 PM
If there is no spark when u earth the coilpack then the only problem can be with the power going to the coilpack (if the coilpack is ok). All the ignitor does is earth the coilpack to create a spark.
Or a bad earth..

v-tec
6th June 2006, 06:38 PM
gave sam a call today (fella that wired my car) hoping he might be able to shed some more light...

he suggested as u said 86sp, the earth for the ignitor/coil..
as you can see there its not getting the greatest earth, but still should be ok. I sanded back the points that touch the car, bracket and the ignitor to maybe get a better earth

but still nothing

i guess the only thing could be the wiring to the coil or a faulty fuse :S

86sp
6th June 2006, 09:30 PM
Check to see if the coil is getting a good 12V. You should be able to charge up the coil with 12Vs and then discharge it by earthing it. If it doesnt emit a charge then the coilpack is faulty.

For my GZE, and maybe all GE's, the ignitor actually earths through the bracket. So make sure this has a good earth.

v-tec
8th June 2006, 11:19 AM
ill have to check still if the coil is getting the 12v
it cant be the coil as that silver one up there^^ was just replaced when i assumed it was the coil.
I tryed getting the ignitor a better earth just then but making it touch the shell rather than earth thru the bracket.. but that didnt do anything

is there anything mechanical/electrical in the ignitor that could fail and make this happen? im just trying to rule out everthing

a friend suggested it could even be the coil lead, but i did get a new one for when we got the motor started the first time.
still something tho..

slydar
8th June 2006, 09:27 PM
mmmm damn. mr2 set up. they are differant to all other 4ags...

brett has a coil/ignitor for sale. but its for 82/86.

v-tec
8th June 2006, 11:31 PM
well... if ive got the wrong ignitor would it have just not run at all?
this is whats confusing me mainly, it has to be something thats just gone

click

and then stopped working http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/rant.gif

v-tec
10th June 2006, 04:28 PM
turns out there were several ageed wires that had frayed and dissconnected fromthe plug that goes into the dizzy
thus stop the coil from sparking.

I now have a new problem, tho i think it shouldnt be too much of a problem. injectors or fuel rail is blocked (fuel is pumed in, but just goes back down the return.)

just need to get it to clean out with some of that start ya bastard crap i guess