PDA

View Full Version : AE86 rear defoggers

mrceffy
7th June 2006, 12:43 AM
Hey,

Does anyone know where i can get my rear defoggers fixed or how i can fix them? They turn on but only sections of the rear window defog. Majoraty of the window stays foggy

Matt-AE86
7th June 2006, 04:11 PM
you are lucky that they even work.

upgarage
7th June 2006, 04:35 PM
haha
amen to that

not even my front wipers work http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

DRFT - 86
7th June 2006, 06:10 PM
Yeh man, mine dont work, fuk em... back window is going to be retinted soon with pretty dark tint so I wont be seeing much out there anyway....

mrceffy
7th June 2006, 08:16 PM
LOL. I dont have tint and the sun dont even get through the fog. Well atleast i know im not alone. Just sh!ts me. Alwell, if anyone can help that would be sweet!

Micknofx
7th June 2006, 08:21 PM
I keep looking at the wires hanging out of my hatch and the plug hanging out of my car and putting it off, dunno if mine even work since I got the new hatch. I reckon you'll manage without em.

DavisJD
7th June 2006, 08:30 PM
mine still work!
but try checking the earth for them. Just make sure your getting as good a connection as possible on them, and the switch next to your steering wheel, The tab on the de-fogger on the window, and all the earths are good (scrub them back if you need to)

Re-crimping the connections shouldnt be to hard, just a pair of pliers and some lugs from bunings or an electrical wholesaler will be all you'll need

Hope this helps
(remember i havent needed to do mine, but this should help as long as the cable is ok, which it sounds like it is in your case)

If all this fails, the wires running through your windscreen are probably stuffed http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

DRFT - 86
7th June 2006, 09:00 PM
the reason mine dosnt work is coz I scraped the old tint of with a razor... sionara to the defogger...........
not to concerned tho...

DavisJD
7th June 2006, 11:58 PM
I Beleive if there is a small break in the lines then they willnot work, dont ask how to fix it though, not idea![/b]

If you understand electrical at all then try this
If you think there is a 'break' somewhere in the wires on your windscreen (the de-fog lines)
then have a look, check if there connected in series or parralel, or sections of both. (should help with tracking the faults)
If there is a small break. Try putting a thin bit of solder on the gap to complete the circut again and allow current to flow through the whole thing.

Again not sure if this will work or not, i havent looked at my own.

They could be coated in some sort of insulation which would meen you would have to strip the insulation a little for this to work

Hope some of this helps, let me know if you have any questions

mrceffy
9th June 2006, 12:36 AM
well they turn on I know that for a fact. I know that some of the lines are chipped/broken but i can fix that with those little patch up things from autopro. But the thing is, even though some lines work, they only work in some sections. Like say the first lines works, only the middles section of the first line will clear but everything else stays fogged.

Even so, I will check the ground. I think its a problem with the heating element. Maybe not enough resistance to create the heat?