PDA

View Full Version : welding inner guard to outer

ae86 slide
7th June 2006, 08:40 PM
To flare my rear guards the inner guard needed to be cut away from the outer to alow the metal to bend, (those who have flardd rears before know what im on about).
anyway the guy that did it for me went a bit over board with the cutting, now i have 2 large, long holes that need to be filled.
instead of welding peices in he told me to fibre glass the holes up, (impossible)
his reason for not wanting to weld on to the outer guard was that it would warp it.
has anyone welded to the outer skin of the car? and did it warp the metal badly?

gumbie
8th June 2006, 02:55 PM
I just finished doing rust repairs on my left rear quarter around the window.

Yes the metal warped but that is to be expected when metal is heated it expands

when it cools it contracts. This is what causes warpage. Who ever flared your guards

should have done this before they finished them when it would be easily repaired

with a hammer and dolly and a little more bog.

dori_86
8th June 2006, 03:31 PM
talk to joel-AE86 about it he has done it and im pretty sure there are pics on his car page

slydar
8th June 2006, 09:24 PM
you can weld the inner back onto the outer. you will always get a little warpage. but you can reduce the amount of warpage by chasing your weld bead with a wet rag.

just weld small spots one at a time in a row, and in between each spot cool the new welded area with the rag as you go.

ae86 slide
9th June 2006, 08:05 AM
thanks fellas, yeah also outer gaurd is not bogged or repainted yet so thats not a drama