PDA

View Full Version : which 4age??

MARKE70
11th June 2006, 08:25 PM
Hey,

Just wondering what 16V 4age is best. I don't have have a massive budget so have decided to go 16V. I have noticed that all the 16V seem to be bigport ones. My question is, is there a reason for this? Are they better or stronger or something?

My understanding is smallports are 100KW so why don't more people use them for a few more horsies?? Are these engines not as good as big port ones? why?

Also how much money would you say for each of these engine's in good nick?

Thanks for any input guys,

Mark

Stretch
12th June 2006, 12:05 AM
the main reason people use the 86kw bigport engines is because they came out standard in rwd format where as the 100kw smallport engine came out later on in the fwd format. you can always convert the 100kw fwd engine to rwd by modifying the intake manifold or by buying buying an already modified fwd to rwd intake manifold, then you have to modify the thermo housing i believe.

as for price wise, i think a fair price for a complete running rwd engine in good condition would be anywhere from $600 - $900. but if you are after a fwd engine then you can get them alot cheaper as they are more common and suited to alot more peoples budgets, i have seen complete fwd engines go for $350 so it pays to look around.

Big T
12th June 2006, 12:06 AM
No, 100kw smallports actually have a stronger bottom end. I think the reason most people stick to the bigport is because it came out in a RWD configuration so less hassle installing it. Although it's not that much more trouble to convert the smallport to RWD.

The bigport/smallport debate has been done to death as well. My verdict... for a stocker, definately a smallport. Although the peak power is almost identical to the bigport, it's the response/drivability that makes all the difference.

Have a look at Bill Sherwood's site. It'll explain the major differences between the stock engines. In fact, read the whole site if you plan on playing with sprinters/4ages for a bit.

Eddie.

Big T
12th June 2006, 12:10 AM
the main reason people use the 86kw bigport engines is because they came out standard in rwd format where as the 100kw smallport engine came out later on in the fwd format.[/b]

This isn't entirely accurate. The JDM 97kw bigports came out in RWD configuration. The 86kws are from the local AE82 Twincams and are FWD so the same rules for converting to RWD apply.

Eddie.

Medicine_Man
12th June 2006, 12:10 AM
100KW motors also have the stonger 7 rib block with oil squirters and the better crankshaft. Probably the better motor to start with really..