PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack questions

kravit
13th June 2006, 05:01 PM
Hey guys,

My steering on my ae86 has fair bit of play in it, i was wondering what parts in steering rack i should replace, or is it best to just replace everything ? btw this is only daily driver

Hen is a total nutcase
13th June 2006, 06:26 PM
If you are reasonably mechanically competent you should be able rebuild your rack yourself. The hardest part is pretensioning and locknutting the two adjustable parts.

I spoke to steering place and it sounded like in a manual rack about all they do is strip and clean it, linish the shaft, regrease and reassemble it, then set the preload on the pinion seal and pinion-> rack.

Doing everything bar linishing the shaft is possible at home. The only replaceable parts I think are the bushes at either end of the rack body, and mine seemed fine when I checked them.

You can also try tightening the preload of pinion onto rack with everything still in your car. It's the big hex socket on the rear driver's side of the rack (it has a funny shaped locknut too)

Hen

PS - make sure that it is your steering rack giving you the problems, not worn balljoint, rack ends, tie rods or wheel bearings.

MAT713
13th June 2006, 06:30 PM
where abouts are you based???

the all toyota's around the 80's had HUGE problems with rack's rusting out.

if you in brisbane way, try CITY SUSPENSION at springwood, they are pro's at these, HIGHLY recommended

MAT713
13th June 2006, 06:30 PM
they did mine just last week and it has come up a treat!

kravit
13th June 2006, 09:24 PM
Im in perth, I gota do it on tight ass budget, so gota do much as possible myself, but i hav neva pulled apart steering rack before, so im virgin to it :/

slydar
13th June 2006, 10:10 PM
we have heaps of spare racks. ive never seen a badly rusted one.

you need to replace the bush on the passenger side. that part is hard to get.

other than that i am totally with hen, its an easy job.