PDA

View Full Version : Turboing a 20v

Forcefed
14th June 2006, 07:30 PM
Hi

I am looking at turboing mt 20 valve, now i realise they are a high compression engine and ideally the comp needs to be lowered for a better outcome.

My Question is.... are you able to just replace the pistons in the 20V with 4agze pistons to achieve the lower compression???

Cheers

Forcefed

upgarage
14th June 2006, 09:37 PM
can turbo it with high compression
makes for a very responsive and torquey package

as long as the tune is good it should like a while

reg450
14th June 2006, 09:40 PM
just get a decomp plate lasered out to suit the 20valve head.and you might want to look in to see if the bottom end will handle boostage

PLACEBO
14th June 2006, 11:17 PM
they will hold together with 5-7 psi for a suprising amount of time, without any internal changes.

PLACEBO
14th June 2006, 11:18 PM
tho, with saying that, and as already stated it all depends on tune.

Hen is a total nutcase
15th June 2006, 11:22 AM
To answer your question, yes you can use ZE pistons in a 20V to lower compression.

The only thing I am unsure about is valve clearance given 5 valves and 4 flycuts in the piston. Does it become interference?

Hen

PLACEBO
15th June 2006, 11:45 AM
yes, thats what i was wondering. but as a friend of mine is now currently in the build process of a new motor which consists of such a thing, i guess i'll find out. though im sure it'd be fine.

ask omy, he is currently in the build process http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

selk
16th June 2006, 02:33 AM
yes they do interfer caz the top of the 16v piston has 4 indents in them for the valves while the 20v piston has 5 of course

Hen is a total nutcase
16th June 2006, 11:41 AM
yes they do interfer caz the top of the 16v piston has 4 indents in them for the valves while the 20v piston has 5 of course[/b]
Do you say that from experience? Or is it pure conjecture?

The flycuts on GZE pistons are very small due to the piston dish and could very well clear the 5 valves. However I have never heard it directly from anyone who's checked it themselves.

Hen