PDA

View Full Version : 4age help

dirty_86
24th June 2006, 11:01 PM
hey im looking to buy a bluetop 4age.. i was told it had a turbo before.. and that they only changed the gasket to get better compression..i was thinking if i was to take the turbo manifold of.. would i still have to change the gasket to lower the compression.... or can i run it how it is.. may sound stupid.,, help would be greatly appreciated.. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

biggo
25th June 2006, 06:56 AM
depends how much boost you want. Most 4ages have around 9.1:1 comp stock unless its a gze. In any case, it shouldnt a biggie to get a TRD gasket. For turbo you want to drop the compression, hence the reason why aw11 4agzes are a good base (8.0:1 comp)

dirty_86
25th June 2006, 09:17 AM
oh wait sorri i wanted to take the turbo manifold off..

bahnugget
25th June 2006, 08:31 PM
if you want to take the turbo off and run it as N/A, you want as much compression as you can get, depends how big the headgasket they put on was, but i'd say you should replace it with a thinner one

47une
25th June 2006, 09:18 PM
Thats right. If it was turbo they will have used a thicker head gasket to lower the compression. You can drive it like it is now, you will never have a problem on it BUT it will be to no where near its potential because it will have such low compression. So if you were going to run it NA from now on and not put the turbo back on, I would put a thinner head gasket to raise the compression back up to where it should be (or even higher if you so desire).

dirty_86
26th June 2006, 07:01 PM
cool thanks guys.. muchly appreciated http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

dirty_86
15th July 2006, 05:26 PM
now that i've got the gasket kit.. i was wondering.. because im changine the head gasket.. does that mean i have to get the head machined.. please say no.. if yes.. how much is to get the head machined.. i got quoted 250 at superflow heads.. if any1 noes a cheaper place please pm info http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif muchly appreciated..

Brenton 86
15th July 2006, 05:35 PM
is 250 expessive to get a head machined?? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Jason
15th July 2006, 05:37 PM
wow rip job !

dirty_86
16th July 2006, 05:09 AM
wow rip job ![/b]

wats price of gettin head machined?..

selk
16th July 2006, 05:32 PM
shaven or ported & polished ?

slide86
16th July 2006, 07:38 PM
if you just wanted to get it faced to ensure that its flat, i wouldnt be paying anymore that 80 bucks.

dirty_86
17th July 2006, 08:19 PM
that seems pretty fair price as i onli want to change the head gasket as it has a turbo gasket ( more thicker).. i just want it to run... just wondering.. if i left it how it is and ran a thicker gasket on a n/a car would the power loss be noticable. as people at work say that it wun be noticable..

Course_Out
17th July 2006, 09:41 PM
Depends how thick it is. It's hard to know without knowing exactly what gasket you've got.

terryo
18th July 2006, 09:32 PM
the thickest gasket for a 4AG that I know of is 1.2mm compressed. the thinnest is 0.85mm compressed. the 1.2mm one, is not thick enough to lower the compression of a 4AG for reliable turbo use, so maybe they have used other pistons. if thats the case, forget about using it non-turbo. you really need to do some homework on whats inside, then I can help you calcualte the compresison and gasket needed.
we charge $55 to face a 4AG head at work. check out www.roadandtrack.net.au. contact me direct if you want any parts or work.

dirty_86
18th July 2006, 09:46 PM
the thickest gasket for a 4AG that I know of is 1.2mm compressed. the thinnest is 0.85mm compressed. the 1.2mm one, is not thick enough to lower the compression of a 4AG for reliable turbo use, so maybe they have used other pistons. if thats the case, forget about using it non-turbo. you really need to do some homework on whats inside, then I can help you calcualte the compresison and gasket needed.
we charge $55 to face a 4AG head at work. check out www.roadandtrack.net.au. contact me direct if you want any parts or work.[/b]
located NSW?

dirty_86
18th July 2006, 09:49 PM
i was told when i purchased the engine taht onli the gasket was changed and all internals were left as stock..

dirty_86
10th August 2006, 10:20 PM
hey guys gasket is soon to be change, flywheel, exhaust system clutch possibly sorted out. Now im looking at my fuel setup.. i was thinking
VL fuel pump internal/external ( havn't decided yet )
fuel lines ( any advice on what fuel lines.. and estimate pricing? )
surge tank
EFI fuel pump

if anything to be added on that list would be apprecitated thanks guys

dirty_86
15th August 2006, 09:47 PM
ok i've pulled out my 4ac.. now for the loom.. before i start ripping stuff out the loom goes right through to ignition so i have to pull dash out to get all the loom out am i correct?.. just don't' want to pull out unessary wires><