PDA

View Full Version : Burning smell from rear....?

DRFT - 86
9th July 2006, 12:36 AM
Ok since Im loosing my license on Monday I decieded to give my hachi an absolute hiding in an undisclosed area last thursday night.... (wasnt concerned if anything broke as its coming of the road for quite an overhaul/upgrade)

I'll quote my mate "holy fuck man Ive never seen so much smoke, that was like summer nats or something"
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif that just cracks me up...

anyway... I did a rather phat ringy that night....... it lasted some time and I believe my S series diff didnt really like it to much...... (it has had a very hard life from the previous owner and more so from myself & Im quite suprised it hasnt broken yet...)

after driving the short trip home and parking... I noticed a really strong burning smell from the rear... as well as some smoke wafting out from under the car........ it was late and I was like fuck it Im going to bed so I didnt really worry about it.....

now, after driving my car each time since I get that same burning smell...... Im thinking its the diff.....? but I would expect it to make some unusual noise if it was on its last legs no?

if its not the diff wtf else could it be?

cheers........

[MET]
9th July 2006, 12:58 AM
LOL what a pissa, bet that was fun! PICS? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif sorry cant help on the smell, but I'd say your diff wouldn't be too happy not much else it could be in the rear end apart from bearing, seals in the diff

DRFT - 86
9th July 2006, 01:04 AM
ahaha yeh my mate filmed it on his ph... but didnt fuckin save it.....
would have liked to watch it..damn..

I dont know what the oil level is like in the diff either.. have never bothered to check... but say if it was fairly low it would again make some strange noises no..?

My diff clunks a fair bit, been doing that for a while..

ae86 slide
9th July 2006, 01:08 PM
smoke would not be coming from the diff centre as its sealed tight, you may have damaged an axle and therefore ruined a bearing/seal and be leaking diff oil on your brake shoes, would explain the smoke/smell/clunking.

DRFT - 86
9th July 2006, 01:17 PM
Yeh didnt think it would be possible for smoke to come from the center...
I beleive your conclusion is most likely right.. couldnt be anything else besides that really....... the clunking has been there for a while, but only happens when reversing, or pushing the clutch in when going to N at the top of my driveway........ I think it could be the uni joint making this noise....

I dont think it is leaking to heavily as Im not noticing any fluid on the ground after parking ect...

Time for a new diff me thinks with lsd............. bout time.......

monkeymajik
10th July 2006, 10:44 AM
Probably un-related, but I was getting a burning smell etc from the rear.

Was the bumper melting onto the exhaust.

Course_Out
10th July 2006, 06:09 PM
If you were doing a foot on (holding the brakes on while on the throttle to get the wheels spinning) you could have seized the shoes onto the drums? That would explain the burning stench

DRFT - 86
11th July 2006, 12:16 AM
no wasnt doing that........... I think the 1st assumption was correct...