PDA

View Full Version : AE86 diffrentials!

AE86_4life
7th August 2006, 11:09 AM
Hi peoples I was wondering if i wanted to put an LSD in my AE86 how much would it cost and how could i go about its? I dont want anything fancy just a simple lsd that wll get me sideways. I was reading drift battle and they devised a way using a old hilux diff but it looks complexed. thanx 4 ur help.

Gilly
7th August 2006, 01:29 PM
complete T18 diff housing $200 - $300
T18 rear half of tailshaft $50 - $100
LSD new $1200 - $1600
LSD 2nd hand $500 - $800

2nd hand JDM disc rear end (normally have aftermarket LSD's in them, make sure you check though!) seen them as cheap as $1200 and dear as $1800

i imagine hilux LSD conversion to be similarily priced as a JDM rear, it is heavier and not really needed behind a 16v or 20v. factor in a slight power drop to drive the thing as well. better suited (required) behind a 4AGZE or 4AGTE.

unfortunately there is no cheap way to upgrade to a decent LSD for a sprinter

crazy86
7th August 2006, 01:35 PM
Cheapest "slidewayz" bro fully sick method, cheapest by far, is install a CIG locker in your S type rear end. there are a few cars around running this, but its illegal.

slide86
want something simple that will get you sideways.

weld it up. you wont be able to stop going sideways. its the cheap and easy way to get out of it, but its also the illegal and dangerous way.

mattysshop
if you get a JDM rear end.. make sure you get the trailing arms also.. as the bottom ones are longer than normal T-18 ones.. top ones are the same AFAIK.. have not confirmed yet though..

Big T
7th August 2006, 10:55 PM
if you get a JDM rear end.. make sure you get the trailing arms also.. as the bottom ones are longer than normal T-18 ones.. top ones are the same AFAIK.. have not confirmed yet though..[/b]

So are the S-series trailing arms the same as the T-18 ones? Or are you saying the JDM arms are longer than both?

Eddie.

mc68
7th August 2006, 10:57 PM
first ive heard of that matty :\

mattysshop
7th August 2006, 10:59 PM
i have a JDM lower trailing arm to replace one of my T-18 type ones.. and it is about an inch longer.. so i straightened my bent T-18 type one..

just to clarify.. my car came from japan with Drum T series.. just like your conventional T-18 type http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

i'm not sure about the S seriess..

mattysshop
7th August 2006, 10:59 PM
cos i stole it of Nathans disc rear end he bought for his car http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif had the full set of arms on it.. and they were longer..

Big T
7th August 2006, 11:03 PM
cos i stole it of Nathans disc rear end he bought for his car http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif had the full set of arms on it.. and they were longer..[/b]

Hmmm.. not sure about the T-18 thing but the disk T-series ones are identical to the S-series ones and also the Borg Warner AE71 type. I've swapped my diff out a few times using all 3 types without problems (i had an original jdm disk T-series).

Eddie.

mattysshop
7th August 2006, 11:11 PM
interesting.. i wondered about this also.. well non the less, i have a pair of JDM lower trailing arms that are longer than my T-18 type ones.. maybe a Kouki? i dunno if it was a big axle or a small axle JDM diff.. but you would think there the same wouldn't you? ??? unsolved mysteries!! lol...

crazy86
8th August 2006, 11:54 AM
Ive swapped between S type, JDM disk and drum trailing arms, and they are all the same. I wouldnt have a clue about t18 arms though.