PDA

View Full Version : Diff whine - Suspected CW&P

decoyslikecurves
10th August 2006, 01:20 AM
Got a jap ae86 rear end, trd 2 way lsd and its a 4.3 ratio I think.

Tonight went for a loopey around a (private) roundabout and when I straightened up, the thing was whining quite loudly... babied it back and figured its like a medium to high pitched whine that is present when I am accel or deccel, mostly in 4th and 5th gear (higher speeds), under light throttle it is loudest in the higher gears.... Mostly goes away when I coast with the clutch in.

What the hell is it, how can I fix it (quickly), how much is it going to cost, and how long is it going to take.

I'd really like the car to be ok by friday (wednesday night now) annnd I REALLY need it okay by saturday

Any suggestions PLEASE would be hugely appreciated.

Gavin

mattysshop
10th August 2006, 08:39 AM
get under the car in neutral, with the hand brake on, and check how much backlash it has by tuning the tailshaft your ment to have a bit, but if it turns more than a bit of a wrist action your best off pulling it out, and adjusting the backlash, or quickly pop into any diff shop and ask them to check it and adjust it.. don't keep driving on it if your not sure.. 4.3's arn't the easyest to come by!

decoyslikecurves
10th August 2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks matt, you are a bloody champion

mattysshop
10th August 2006, 01:42 PM
could also be your pinion bearing.. the crush tube might need to replaced.. or as Big T mentioned in my old post a new one machined up..

LAZY
10th August 2006, 01:57 PM
Which tailshaft are you using?

decoyslikecurves
10th August 2006, 06:47 PM
took it to a diff place..

Old oil in diff solidified and didn't allow proper rotation, scored ring + pinion.

Was going to change oil that day.. oh well

Getting full rebuild bar lsd and should be ready for track tomorrow night
woo hoo

mattysshop
11th August 2006, 11:45 AM
nice good too see.. people forget sometimes how important LSD oil is in a diff!! (unless its a viscous nissan one lol )

Gilly
11th August 2006, 12:20 PM
i changed my diff oil every 5,000klms when i did engine oil (when i had an LSD) will do the same thing with my new one.

sounds extreme but that is actually one of the recommended service intervals for aftermarket LSD's

rthy
14th August 2006, 05:30 PM
how do you adjust backlash?