PDA

View Full Version : AE86 cat converters

fat86s
18th August 2006, 08:22 PM
Hey guys.. jus wonderin if ae86 need to have cats.. I know that pre 85 models dont need to run a cat- does this still apply to 86's if u have an engine conversion (4age, gze, etc) ????

i jus f*#ked mine and im wonderin if i can get away wif not having one at all http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

rthy
18th August 2006, 08:36 PM
I have been using a metal cat, check out the link in my signiture for my worklog, it has extensive pics. The problem with putting a cat under a sprinter is that it is usualy the lowest point in a car and it is prone to scrape so there isnt a hell of alot of vertical room free. This is why I chose the metal cat, apart from the amazing flow its real short and is only 120mm high

rthy
18th August 2006, 08:37 PM
oh and as for your question, your car isnt legal as it is and not having a cat may just make it more illegal, might depend on your state

mc68
18th August 2006, 11:07 PM
in WA the loop hole is..is the car didnt come with one, it doesnt need one

fat86s
19th August 2006, 11:47 AM
in WA the loop hole is..is the car didnt come with one, it doesnt need one[/b]

yea iv herd people say that bout NSW but im not sure bout it???

Brenton 86
19th August 2006, 01:47 PM
In Qld it applies to the date of the engine not the chassis. So 4ac no cat needed, 4agze needs a cat

ozsprintz
19th August 2006, 02:02 PM
when i went to the exaust guy he said to yes i needed one because it was the engine not the car (4age 16v) but then when i got the system 2 months later he didnt put one on. so im happy

psychofox
19th August 2006, 08:07 PM
In NSW if you put an engine from a car newer than 1986 (ie smallport 4age, 20v, etc.) then you have to fit a cat converter. Your car won't pass engineering without it. If you get pulled without one and they send you to the EPA for a test, expect BIG fines. It's not worth the risk, put on one.

parrot
19th August 2006, 09:55 PM
In Australia, whichever state you are in you definitely need a cat con on a 4AGE to be legal from an emissions point of view. The vehicle emission control information label , the green sticker on the bonnet for a corolla (with 4AGE engine) specifically states that the Exhaust Emission Control System consists of EFI + O2S + TWC. Obviously the EFI and O2S (oxy sensor) are obvious. I had always thought TWC stood for twin cam as they are supposedly emissions effective. However per the Repair Manual for Emission Control, TWC actually stands for Three Way Catalyst (TWC) system! So the answer definitely is yes. You could try and convince a copper otherwise but you wont stooge the EPA. I have heard that buying the emissions sticker (also a RWC requirement) from Toyota has become difficult. Though you could try and find one at pickapart.

fat86s
20th August 2006, 01:26 PM
my motor is a bigport 4age with gze externals bolted on? so technically the motor is pre 86 or wateva??

parrot
20th August 2006, 02:42 PM
You're missing the point. Date of manufacture is irrelevent. If it is a 4AG it is a 4AG, thus needs a cat. Year of chassis or original engine fitment is irrelevent. 4AGZE's and 20 valves will be a different scenario as they are a different engine. I am not aware if a 4AGZE ever came fitted in anything in Australia (some MR2's?), if so there will be an emissions placard which states the requirement - undoubtedly that will include a cat. If not then it would have to be engineered. 20 valves haven't come here so you won't get an Aust placard for that either.

Having said all that, I drove mine for 8 years with a cat before i stuck it in the shed.

dirty_86
20th August 2006, 03:02 PM
In NSW if you put an engine from a car newer than 1986 (ie smallport 4age, 20v, etc.) then you have to fit a cat converter. Your car won't pass engineering without it. If you get pulled without one and they send you to the EPA for a test, expect BIG fines. It's not worth the risk, put on one.[/b]

so bigport 4ages dun need a caT?

mc68
20th August 2006, 04:47 PM
the big fines is an urban myth....supposedly $10k fine here...but ive had alot of friends who have simply been slapped a yellow sticker for that and other reasons..and no fine!...and to this day ive never heard of a huge fine for no cat...as im sure the person would make their voice heard.

and another thing...i know 99.99% of the hot rods with efi 5lt's, gen III's and 1uz's dont run cats...and alot of them are legally registered..and they dont seem to get much strife.

poh_86
21st August 2006, 02:07 PM
bigports dont need cat

im running a hotdog with mine got passed easily

redsprinter
21st August 2006, 02:59 PM
hotdogs, ive herd of em. what are they, how they work?

Tom86
21st August 2006, 05:01 PM
in WA the loop hole is..is the car didnt come with one, it doesnt need one[/b]

Thats what I thought as well, but according to the engineer that doing my car. If the engine come out of a car that is fitted with a catalytic converter from the factory you will need to fit one to whatever car you transplanting it to. e.g 4agze to sprinter will need cat

Konakid
21st August 2006, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know the regs for S.A? Would a 4ac need a cat?

mc68
21st August 2006, 09:41 PM
hotdogs, ive herd of em. what are they, how they work?[/b]

a muffler so small they look like a hot dog bun.

and no a 4ac doesnt have to run one....they need all the free flowing they can get http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

fat86s
21st August 2006, 09:50 PM
anyways im over it and couldnt care less anymore haha..

I just gutted all the shit outta my cat, shoved a pipe through it and welded it up.. problem solved for $25
il let you all know wen i get the 10grand fine lol

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

parrot
22nd August 2006, 12:03 AM
In Australia, whichever state you are in you definitely need a cat con on a 4AGE to be legal from an emissions point of view. The vehicle emission control information label , the green sticker on the bonnet for a corolla (with 4AGE engine) specifically states that the Exhaust Emission Control System consists of EFI + O2S + TWC. Obviously the EFI and O2S (oxy sensor) are obvious. I had always thought TWC stood for twin cam as they are supposedly emissions effective. However per the Repair Manual for Emission Control, TWC actually stands for Three Way Catalyst (TWC) system! So the answer definitely is yes.
[/quote]

Apparently no one read this judging by the ongoing responses in this thread. For what it is worth I will be putting a straight pipe in place of my cat when it gets back on the road, however will have it such a way I can swap them around if needed. I'm with MC68, the worst that is likely to happen is you would cop a canary. I reckon the cat was killing my power.