PDA

View Full Version : how to fix rubbing??

dori_86
27th August 2006, 03:54 PM
my sprinter is currently lowered using kings springs, and has 15x7 -11 wheels fitted to the front but have rubbed thru my plastic cover and it gettting sliced on the metal behind it. (only on full lock)

my question is how do i fix this plus i've just installed new coilovers havent driven on them yet as i still have to get em alligned (so is also lower now, plus neg camber)

should i just fit spacers or try to bash the shit out of the metal? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

darkon
27th August 2006, 04:11 PM
25mm spacers then flare guards n u should be fine. or maybe ur car's just TOO low (sorry i know blasphemy)

redsprinter
27th August 2006, 04:22 PM
yeah i have the same problem as well. so i switched back to the stockies and thats all good. tho i dont want to run stockies for the rest its life.

will rca help solve the problem, cause of lowering thus changing the geometry of the suspension?

Dxaqta
27th August 2006, 04:28 PM
is it rubbing on the inside or outside

what tyres are u running????

Spacers will only cause more rubbing both on inside and outside

Andor
27th August 2006, 04:47 PM
Im having the same problem at the moment. I've removed the plastic inner guard and bashed up the lip on the inside. It still rubs badly when cornering. SO i'm going to have to flare them a bit. I plan to do it myself with a hammer and dolly. Not the prettiest method but I can't wait any longer I just want to drive the damn thing!

The way to do it (so im told) is to put tape on the outside of your guard, so you don't damage the paint. Hold a dolly (bit of metal, eg head of a sledge hammer) on the outside and bash the inside with a hammer. Otherwise get them flared properly.

driftae86
27th August 2006, 07:06 PM
25mm spacers then flare guards n u should be fine. or maybe ur car's just TOO low (sorry i know blasphemy)[/b]

25mm spacers on wheels that have -11 offset? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

just bash the metal or get some small slip on spacers

dori_86
27th August 2006, 07:09 PM
-it cant be bcos it's too low as it is rubbing with the king springs put in,

-im running 195/50/15's on 15x7 -11, they need new tyres soon so i'll probbably try 185's,

-its rubbing the outside edge of thetyre, bcos it's rubbing on the inside when on full lock (ie when the right tyre turns right it rubs, same for the left but reversed)

-theres no rubbing on the actual guards YET, as i have just finished installing my coilovers

Dxaqta
27th August 2006, 07:14 PM
thats easily solved

when u take ur inner guard of ull find a metal seam that sticks out just flatteren it with a hammer...

then when u go for ur wheel allignment get them to dial in as much postive castor, which will pull the wheel foward int eh guard giving more room at the back

Oly AE86
27th August 2006, 08:41 PM
I Agree with Dxaqta, flatten that seam joint with big hammer, dial up some castor and all should be good.

I had 195/55 and there was a lot of rubbing when steering sharply, even with the seam flat. Just changed to some 195/50 (should have been original choice) and its a lot better. This is also using NC offset RCA's, that push out the wheel 20mm or so.

I also have a fair bit of rubbing with 15 x 7.5 +7 on the front, just when the wheels travels up into the guard, have just had slydar roll out the guards so there is no longer a problem http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Oly

redsprinter
27th August 2006, 08:42 PM
dxaqta you de man. you just solved my problem. so postive caster aye. nice

Dxaqta
27th August 2006, 10:51 PM
yep postive castor is ur friend

RobertoX
28th August 2006, 05:21 PM
it isnt a friend of steering racks and small arms tho

redsprinter
28th August 2006, 05:29 PM
just wondering guys since having alot of postive castor is good.... and will help in the tyre rubbing part.
truenosedan you might be able to help me out,

my question is how short are the aftermarket tension/castor rods compared to the stockies?

Dxaqta
28th August 2006, 11:10 PM
i believe u can get around +3 castor with stock castor rods

RobertoX
29th August 2006, 09:45 PM
actually you can get 4.5+ on stock rods depending on what 'out of calibration' tyre shop aligner you use

after market rods have shit loads of adjustment no need to measure lol!