PDA

View Full Version : Banging in the rear end...

driftism
28th August 2006, 12:22 PM
I have a loud banging noise coming from the rear of the car when i start pushing it through twisty sections, at higher speeds, (over 80km/h) and it also occurs over some bumps.

It sounds like one of the rear brake drums is loose, but this is not the case.

It has made the noise with my s-series rear end, which i thought was the source of the problem, but i have replaced it with a t-series and an LSD and it continues to make the noise.

I have also changed my springs in the rear, so the noise is not caused from springs slipping out of their seats, or the wheels hitting the arches, as they are stockies on the rear atm.

I am all out of ideas as to what it could be, so if anyone has any it would be good to hear them.

Cheers.

Dxaqta
28th August 2006, 12:34 PM
have a look at the bushes in your four link and laterial rod they could be absolutly rooted

driftae86
28th August 2006, 01:13 PM
bump stops?

exhaust hitting?

psi_72
28th August 2006, 01:38 PM
yerp i'd definantly be checking your rear arms, bushes are probably non-existant, let us know what u find, honoustly i dunno where u are, but take it to a pedders store, for $14 they will go over your whole car and tell you what its all like, they are great at finding things wrong, they'll find your problem in no time

SEXY 16
28th August 2006, 02:54 PM
trailing arm bushes need replacing and while your at it do the rest of the as it will make her a new car to drive

Hen is a total nutcase
28th August 2006, 03:12 PM
I only read your subject line and I think I may have a got the wrong impression of what you were asking about...

Hen

RobertoX
28th August 2006, 05:41 PM
exhaust hitting the tailshfat was my problem

but do the bushes

RobertoX
28th August 2006, 06:06 PM
my banging in the rear was tail shaft on exhaust

chapl
28th August 2006, 06:54 PM
i got banged in the rear by a tail shaft in my exhaust[/b]
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

ae86 slide
28th August 2006, 08:09 PM
it really depends if your into rear end banging,
i spose its a personal thing

driftism
5th September 2006, 12:30 PM
haha... ok i'll check the bushes/exhaust next time it's on the hoist.

thanks guys

keiichi
10th September 2006, 12:49 PM
if it happens when you go around corners think maybe the axle bearings. they might have play or something like that. otherwise; is your car really low or are you using an 'under diff' exhaust?

keiichi
10th September 2006, 12:50 PM
orrrrrrrrrrr..... is your wheel brace flighing around the boot http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

Javal
10th September 2006, 12:54 PM
My towball was flying around the boot... and it bashed massive holes in the floor rust.... GHEY. Yais check susp bushes, bumpstops, and zorst.

Javal.

Gilly
10th September 2006, 09:25 PM
i have had this issue in my last 2 86's. i run my cars very low, always have. AE86 tailshafts are a 2 piece design, front shaft rear shaft and a centre bearing mount that fixes the front half to the body. what i find happening is the tailshaft gets pushed further towards the front of the car, however the centre mounting bracket of the shaft is in a fixed position so the bolts joining the front and rear shaft together foul on the bracket when you go over bumps. to fix this just loosen the 2 14mm bolts that hold the bracket to the body, there is enough factory slotting to move the bracket towards the front of the car thus creating more space between the brace and bolts. for extra room i swap the bolts aroud so the threaded end and nut point towards the rear of the car which frees up a few more mm's.

also as above cheack trailing arm bushes and tension, loose ones make a loud knock

over diff exhausts hit the diff as well at lowish heights