PDA

View Full Version : JE camira fuel pump

dirty_86
4th September 2006, 11:03 PM
i've been doing sum research and found an article on rollaclub about using a JE external fuel pump, just wondering has any1 used this in the 86, ae71 etc.. with a 4age..?, and if they have how did it work

cheers

jace

SLO-030
5th September 2006, 12:36 AM
As far as i know they are the same as the VL commodore external ones.

The part numbers for the JE camira, VL commodore and the VN SS commodore are the same as far as i know.

dirty_86
5th September 2006, 07:23 PM
i read that u wun need a surge tank is this correct?

Julz01
5th September 2006, 09:19 PM
reason why you need a surge tank with the external setup is that if you dont have one you can only let the tank get to a certain level before you need to fill it , think people where saying they needed to fill it at 3/4 empty.

SLO-030
5th September 2006, 09:37 PM
The reason behind the surge tank is that:

The high pressure EFI pump is not designed as a pick up pump as it doesn't have much sucking power. They are designed as a low flow high pressure.

For a pick up you will need a carby type pump where they are low pressure and high flow to fill the surge tank.

Surge tanks are hope full in the fact that if you don't run then you can not let your fuel drop below 1/4 of a tank otherwise it'll start surging.

Micknofx
5th September 2006, 10:39 PM
..... or when theres stuff all fuel left in your car you'll stall at the lights with the wrong kind of hill and then have to push your car up that hill in 35 degree heat.

RyGuy86
5th September 2006, 10:54 PM
..... or when theres stuff all fuel left in your car you'll stall at the lights with the wrong kind of hill and then have to push your car up that hill in 35 degree heat.[/b]

^^^ Hes not joking http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/crazy.gif

I use a VL commodore pump to take fuel from a racing fuel cell into a 2letre surge tank, then a carby style pump to take it from the surge to the fuel rail.

One thing to bare in mind with all this stuff is that you will still need to look at getting an adjustable fuel pressure regualtor if you are going to start playing with non standard stuff. Otherwise you will run into pressure issues and your injectors may not get what they need.

Been there done that... Craig_86 is my mechanic http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

Hen is a total nutcase
6th September 2006, 11:07 AM
There are a few interesting theories expressed in this thread.

Firstly an EFI pump is high pressure (40ish psi fuel pressure) and can come in any flow rate, from a trickle to a torrent. Carby type pumps are low pressure and again come in a range of flow rates from small to large.

One use of a surge tank is to ensure that the EFI pump doesn't have to "suck" out of the tank. However I've seen plenty of EFI pumps work for years sucking straight out of the tank.

Their main use is to combat fuel surge. If your fuel is sloshing around and moves away from the pickup of your EFI pump then fuel pressure immediately drops, you lean out and engine power disappears (or goes bang if its an SR20). A tall skinny surge tank means that it is very difficult for the fuel to slosh away from the EFI pump pickup.

Carby engines don't run into this problem as there is an amount of fuel in the bowls which takes some time to be used even if the fuel pump isn't replenishing it.

And Ryguy, while you may have had fuel pressure regulator problems, in my experience stock Toyota ones do the job perfectly and shouldn't need to be touched. Adjustable or rising rate regulators are basically a wank unless you have a special reason for one.

Hen