PDA

View Full Version : How do you take off the steering wheel off?

HYPNTK
8th September 2006, 09:45 PM
i just got myself a autotechnica wheel off a very nice man on these forums hehe and i just bought myself a boss kit and i have read the instructions which say i need a steering wheel pully....i don't wanna spend any more money on this wheel so isn't there a way i can take it off?

any help would be great guys

steroidchickens
8th September 2006, 10:24 PM
loosen the bolt on the steering collumn (holding the steering wheel on) almost to the end. so it is on by a couple of threads, sit in the seat, and pull, wack, Bash, whatever you can with your hands... it will come off eventually.
it worked for me....
the reason that you leave the bolt on a couple of threads is that when the wheel does come off eventually, it doesnt hit you in the head, LOL

Spirited Away
8th September 2006, 10:24 PM
I had the same problem....

You need to jerk, wiggle, hit, push, pull the steering wheel in every direction to break it free after being used for 20 years. Eventually it just slides off.

goodluck

mc68
8th September 2006, 10:25 PM
undo the nut...leave it on 3 or 4 threads from top so its almost off..

now get both hands on it and give it some, the nut will stop it from knocking ur teeth out...it shouldnt be too tight.

the only wheel ive had to use a puller on was a 4wd hilux that went into water, as it had rusted everywhere.

steroidchickens
8th September 2006, 10:26 PM
haha, i think we were all typing at the same time!! i win

Course_Out
9th September 2006, 12:31 AM
The last time I took a wheel off was in the wreckers, with the on;y toll at hand being a wheel brace (I'm totally ghetto).

To start with loosen the nut off to the end like everyone else said, then I just gave it some decenttaps with my palm from behind and it just slid off.

If your still having troubel you can break the seal (so to speak) by shocking the steering shaft. Basically get a piece of wood, hold it onto the end of the shaft and give it a quick tap. Worked for me with a few stubborn ones. A shitload of wd40 or similar also helps

driftae86
9th September 2006, 12:34 AM
steering wheel pullers are cheap as chips anyway

roadsailing
9th September 2006, 01:00 AM
buy a steering wheel puller, if you only use it once it will be worth the 15 bucks, and you will use it more than once.

hilux08
9th September 2006, 02:27 AM
dont need a steering wheels puller, just like the other guys said. u can give it a light tap arond the wheel with a hammer from behind to help it loosen up.

peace of cake

flamingheads
10th September 2006, 05:30 PM
I dont bother using a spanner to undo nuts, i just use my teeth http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

HYPNTK
17th January 2007, 04:09 PM
hey guys, i just saw that everyone had replied to this thread....the day after i posted this i went to a mates house and he did just what everyone said...he was like "wah?! you have a problem taking off your steering wheel??? you reckon you need a puller???" then proceeded to sit in the drivers seat and bash the freekin hell out of my wheel and then got out and said "there you go"
i was like, what? its still on and when i went to pull it off he goes "LOOK OUT NOT TOO HARD!"

and yes, i copped it in the head

i totally forgot about this thread and thanks for your help guys

damo101
17th January 2007, 04:25 PM
mine was piss easy to remove..few pulls on the left and right and left again n done

Tom86
17th January 2007, 04:35 PM
Here is probably the easiest way to remove the steering wheel.

1. Loosen the the nut but don't take it out completely.

2. Sit in the driver seat pull the steering wheel back with both hands.

3. While pulling the steering wheel back with both hands. Get someone you can trust with a hammer to hit the bolt from part 1. don't smash it, just a solid hit to the middle of the nut should do the job. The shock from the hit should free the wheel.

That how i do it anyway, work everytime http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif .

starni_boy
17th January 2007, 08:37 PM
thats how i got mine off^^^ works mad!!

deleta
17th January 2007, 10:56 PM
Yah the whole leaving a few threads is really important, i smacked my self in the head with a soarer wheel and had a bump on my haed the size of a tennis ball for a few days.

.:2DRFTU:.
3rd February 2007, 11:00 PM
How do u actually GET TO THE NUT! how do you remove the face of the steering wheel, does the horn buttons need to come off?

.:2DRFTU:.
3rd February 2007, 11:55 PM
Never mind, didnt realise the badge had a hidden compartment behind it. Thanks anyway!

selk
4th February 2007, 01:53 AM
putting the wheel back on the right position is the fun bit !!!

HYPNTK
4th February 2007, 03:14 AM
putting the wheel back on the right position is the fun bit !!![/b]

haha yeah mines a little to the right http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif can't be stuffed taking it off again till i change wheels hehe

dirty_86
4th February 2007, 10:10 AM
Never mind, didnt realise the badge had a hidden compartment behind it. Thanks anyway![/b]

we spent quite a while on trying to figure how to take it off HAHAHA.. thank god for forums hahaha.. i ripped my badge off didn't realise that theres that secret compartment!

selk
4th February 2007, 04:23 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=309629)
putting the wheel back on the right position is the fun bit !!![/b]

haha yeah mines a little to the right http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif can't be stuffed taking it off again till i change wheels hehe
[/b]

haha i get it right on the third time