PDA

View Full Version : spillmans oil rings

darkon
9th September 2006, 05:44 PM
i apologise for what was said by nick as he is a cockhead and probably decided to bite ur head off because he'd run out of big fat juicey dicks. as admin id expect he be a little less toolish (note the spelling of toolish)

if ur oil level is going down then its probably ur oil rings but these are pretty annoying to change because to get at them u have to pull off the head and the sump. once youv done that u just unbolt the pistons from the big end, tear em out, buy new rings and feed them on over the top of the piston, but note ur other rings'll be munted too if ur oil rings are gone so u'll have to change them too. the smallest ring goes at the top the bigger one goes in the middle groove and the 2 thin ones sandwitch the wiggley one in the bottom groove. u put them on from the bottom ring progressively to the top. rap a ring compresser in, line it up with its appropriate cylinder and tap it back into place with the wooden end of a hammer. its not hard to do just time consuming. if its not in fact ur oil it could be that theres something REALLY bad in ur petrol tank... like oil? or that the cars running psychotically rich. my rings were recently $12 or sumin for a full set so its not expensive either. if its not either of those id get a mech to look at it. and if u really do have to change ur oil rings i suggest overhauling the whole motor while ur their (while uv got it apart u may as well cuz really pulling appart the whole block for just that isnt worth it)

have fun

Gilly
9th September 2006, 11:10 PM
rings = rebuild

you would be mad not to do a full rebuild while the engine is apart. by rebuild i mean rings and bearings, not hi comp pistons, cams etc!!

i'm with nick on this one you cannot expect a 100% correct diagnosis with limited info and not seeing the car over the internet!!!!

please note to building an engine is not like swapping springs, you can get it wrong and there are precise procedures that should be adhered too, if you have to ask don't do it your self easy as that.

Jason
10th September 2006, 12:15 AM
seach throug the tek sction my guides to a basic rebuild

darkon
10th September 2006, 10:41 AM
actually while he's there cams n hi comps wuldnt be too badda idea lol

flamingheads
10th September 2006, 11:58 AM
If you change the rings you're also supposed to hone the cylinders. And a torque wrench would be handy for getting the head bolts on the right tension when you put it together. You'll also need to replace all the gaskets you take apart as well, which are fairly cheap.
It's not hard but make sure you ask someone who knows what they're doing before you take the engine apart and when you do, remember where evereything goes and keep the bolts and stuff together so you can put them back in the right places.