PDA

View Full Version : Tension Rods

stouty
11th September 2006, 10:21 PM
What exactly do they do? Is it worth getting adjustable aftermaket ones?

stouty
11th September 2006, 10:47 PM
Anyone i need to know fast please.

Dxaqta
11th September 2006, 11:32 PM
they give you adjustablity with castor meaning you can run crazy levels of postive castor which can improve turn in..... also they prevent castor deflection while corning.... in other words it further stiffens up your suspension allowing it to maintain perfect geomerty while under extreme loads and forces

flamingheads
11th September 2006, 11:34 PM
google search? howstuffworks or wikipedia or something?

stouty
11th September 2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks man helps alot also do you think is is worth getting after market ones such as tunagent, UEO.

stouty
11th September 2006, 11:36 PM
flammingheads- tried google only came up with places to buy them from.

Dxaqta
11th September 2006, 11:59 PM
what i said was reffering to ajustable pillowball ones.... these are not essential colover and rcas will give better gains

mattysshop
12th September 2006, 09:23 AM
i'm looking at getting some T3 ones.. $195 us plus delivery.. check thier website www.technotoytuning.com

matty

stouty
12th September 2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks Mattyshop. I can get some tuneagent ones for $285 including delivery thats why i was looking into it cause its a good price.

Gilly
12th September 2006, 11:41 AM
it would be one of the last things i'd ever do suspension wise, i just feel money could be better spent elses where like Matt said (Dxagta) put it this way i wouldn't buy these before i had camber tops, RCA's etc. also maxed out stocko castor rods give you usable castor, i know that's not the only benefit from the aftermarket rods but meh

Matty's car from memory has comprehensively upgraded all his suspension components, so these would be next in line.

pick my damn brakes Matty!! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

rthy
12th September 2006, 05:45 PM
can people post some pics?

stouty
12th September 2006, 06:18 PM
There you go man these are the UEO ones but im getting Tuneagent ones.

psychofox
12th September 2006, 07:26 PM
As most people have said you will not get much if any more caster by fitting these.

All the aftermarket ones do is put a rose joint/pillowball instead of the rubber (or urethane) bush at the end of the rod, and put a left/right hand threaded section so they are easier to adjust. This stiffens up the steering a bit and makes it so there isn't as much caster deflection from loading on the suspension.

But if you look at the mounts that the tension rods bolt to they aren't exactly the stiffest piece of gear on the car, and they really need to be braced themselves, to get the maximum benefit from these sort of tension rods.

Oh and by the way these are illegal for the street. But you probably don't care.

DRFT - 86
12th September 2006, 10:08 PM
illegal for the street...... thats pretty fucked.... puts me off somewhat but I will prob still end up using these... (the custom ones T3 makes with the S13 ends) as Im going all out to ball out with the coilover conversion Im doing...

psychofox
13th September 2006, 09:15 AM
Any rose jointed suspension links are illegal for street use, just ring your friendly RTA/Vicroads/etc. and ask them about it....BUT what cop is going to look under your car and pick it up? Not many I would say. It's only when you hit a Mercedes and your insurance company sees all the illegal mods on your car and goes - awww sorry policy null and void.

Dxaqta
13th September 2006, 09:21 AM
thats why when u crash you use all your strength to rip all the shit out of you car..... also im pretty sure you can engineer some rose jointed stuff

crazy86
13th September 2006, 10:24 AM
there are some PTFE lined rose joints that are engineerable, but this means making custom stuff in most cases.

mattysshop
13th September 2006, 04:15 PM
alot of cars have rose jointed swaybar links factory..

i'd rather rose joint style links than BMW tab rubber bushes.. the hollow ones that go all spongey.. and spring loaded ball joints... ewwwwwwwwww....

Johnny_K
13th September 2006, 09:30 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever increased the existing thread on the stock tension rods ?, looking at it you'd probly have to make the rod skinnier as when thread finishes the rod gets thicker

RobertoX
13th September 2006, 09:56 PM
^ joel ae86 has done it