PDA

View Full Version : Do i need to cut and extend the loom to make it fit in my hachi?

yoshimitsu9
14th September 2006, 08:47 PM
as the title states,

i am running a 86kw big port, i have bought a ae82 loom and ecu and the other bibs and bobs needed.

the question is do i have to cut it up and extend it in order to finally wire my car? (only the engine needs to be wired) the reason i ask this is because i have been told that it needs to be done and can be done for $500 which i am ready to pay if need be, but what casts my doubt is that i have the loom sitting in the engine bay and it looks like it is long enough to connect up to every thing http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif

any help would be greatly appreciative

cheers,

stefan

dirty_86
14th September 2006, 08:54 PM
im doing exactly same thing as urs.. yes it will need to be exteneded.. good luck with it 500 is quote i got as wel.. so i guess its pretty average.. tell me how it turns out http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

yoshimitsu9
14th September 2006, 09:00 PM
im doing exactly same thing as urs.. yes it will need to be exteneded.. good luck with it 500 is quote i got as wel.. so i guess its pretty average.. tell me how it turns out http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif[/b]

yeh looks like i have to get it done then, tis a pain in the ass but u get that (me and my stupid idea for buying a "bargain" sprinter, we all learn from out mistakes

dirty_86
14th September 2006, 09:08 PM
i gotta agree with u on dat http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

Hen is a total nutcase
15th September 2006, 11:27 AM
You don't NEED to strip your loom and cut/extend wires, you can use the AE82 loom as is and make it fit. A few things will definitely need to be added or moved though.

However I think you end up with a much better result, and it is much easier to diagnose problems in the future if you strip the loom and do it properly yourself.

I've done it both ways, the second time thinking that leaving most of the loom intact during the swap would make it easier, but now I wish I had stripped it all out.

Hen

slydar
15th September 2006, 01:00 PM
82 looms are LONG. "extending" isnt whats usually done. its moving things to suit rwd a stripping out the "body" loom, as it is combined into the engine loom on an ae82. in that $500 quote it will probably include re wiring your alternator also.

if its some one reputable who you can quatify does the job properly (can find some one else theyve done work for and theyre happy) then $500 is about right.

parrot
15th September 2006, 02:29 PM
If you are not in a hurry, you can pick up AE86 looms on ebay fairly regularly and cheaply. I have two, one from a UK car and one from a JDM car. Don't buy a USDM loom though as thay are completely different in lots of ways.

rthy
15th September 2006, 02:35 PM
was it from that guy in nz?

parrot
15th September 2006, 05:50 PM
was it from that guy in nz?[/b]

Sorry Rthy, if you are asking me, no. Just OEM looms from private sellers. One was on US Ebay from Japan, cost about $USD100 shipped surface. The other UKEbay for about GBP70 plus shipping which cost a bit cause I had it tracked. Mind you that is for full looms, engine, charge/light circuit and underdash. The UK one had assorted switches, sensors, ignitors etc also plus the foglight dash switch plate so was well pleased.

hilux08
15th September 2006, 06:28 PM
i am trying this exact thing at the moment. the ae82 loom is long enough but the length that goes to the positive battery ternminal need to be extended. all of the injector and inlet maifold wires all fit sweet except the vaccum sensor needs to be extended. even the altinator plug reaches and the water temp plugs reach too at the back of the head. the coil and ignitor plug need like 30cm extension if u wanna locate it in the same spot. the 02 sensor need to be extended also by a little.

not 100 percent sure what needs to be added yet full cause i havent finished it and thats as far as i have gotten. my engine should be in on sunday so i willl be continuing then.

hope it helps

hilux08
15th September 2006, 06:31 PM
sorry thats if u dont pull the ae82 loom apart.

yoshimitsu9
15th September 2006, 07:41 PM
a BIG thankyou to everyone that has contributed, just as i suspected, most things would fit as is, i even figured out my self today that the coil ignitor isnt going to fit in its original position. im hoping that allan from promax auto will have time to come out and have a look at my car during next weeks and we will be able to figure out what needs to be done.

just to set the facts straight, is it going to be better to have the ae82 wiring diagram or a jspec sprinter diagram (i have jdm diagram)?

rthy
16th September 2006, 11:34 PM
isnt the wirediagrams the same? the only difference is stuff like the alternator, efi main relay and fuel pump main relay?

yoshimitsu9
17th September 2006, 11:12 AM
isnt the wirediagrams the same? the only difference is stuff like the alternator, efi main relay and fuel pump main relay?[/b]

also the corolla gts's run AFM not map sensor

im so damn confused as to what is on my car http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif

rthy
17th September 2006, 11:24 AM
if its adm its map