PDA

View Full Version : 4AGE OEM turbos?

balistic
21st September 2006, 04:23 PM
I'm planning a 4AGTE and am in the process of chasing down parts etc. The engine will be for a weekend track car (club sprints, hill climbs etc.).

I have been researching a bit lately trying to get a good idea of what I need with the budget I have. This is a budget project so I'll be starting with an easily available OEM turbo from another car.

So far the T28 from an S15 seems to be the pick of the bunch. I have also heard of a few guys using WRX turbos(I'm currently race a WRX in the Vic WRX club so I can source these easily). Anybody have first hand experience with turbo 4AGE's and could share your experience?

Eventually I'm aiming for around 180kw atw. The engine will be run with aftermarket ECU(Autronic).

riceburner
21st September 2006, 09:02 PM
Either of those turbos will be fine and make the power you want. I would think the T28 would be the better of the 2 thou but sins eyou have WRX conections i would probably go down that path. Save some coin whilst your at it.

Make sure you get your cooling sorted to, 4age dont like hot boost.

balistic
22nd September 2006, 11:13 AM
After a little more research I'm thinking the T28 will be the go. Apparently they have a little more potential especially if I decide to rebuild/hi-flow at a later date. Spewing actualy, I just fitted one of these to a mates R31 Skyline, should have kept it for myself! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

So besides a decent intercooler to keep intake temps reasonable, any other tips?

I have basically a complete fuel system left over from another project (twin bosch motorsport fuel pumps, swirl pot, Malpassi fuel reg.) so fuel delivery is sorted.

stouty
22nd September 2006, 11:40 AM
Radiator upgrade to a 2 core and a good oil cooler.

riceburner
23rd September 2006, 11:39 PM
Radiator upgrade to a 2 core and a good oil cooler.[/b]

I agree, at a minimum decent intercooler well placed and a good size 19 row oil cooler also mounted in a decent spot. Better you can cool it the better it will be.

You will also benefit from denser inlet air more fine tuning available.

balistic
29th September 2006, 12:32 PM
Need some more opinions.

I currently have 16V 4AGE (big port) sitting here to go into my 86. I will soon have a T28 turbo and exhaust manifold to suit. Now I am tossing up between 2 options. Bolt the turbo gear onto the stock engine and run low boost for a while.
Rebuild the bottom end with 4AGZE pistons. Then bolt the turbo gear on.
Of course option 2 is the way to go - but option 1 will get the car on the track quicker and cheaper and I can then source/rebuild a stronger bottom at a later date once the car is going. Plus I will have a chance to get used to the car before I wind the boost up and it starts making big numbers. If it goes pop then so be it and I have to go with option 2 a little sooner than planned.

So - I just wanted to know what my options are for turbo charging the stock 4AGE, who has done it? Can a thicker head gasket/spacer plate be bolted in to lower compression? Am I crazy? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif

thu187
1st October 2006, 02:54 AM
Try turbocorolla.com there's quite a few 4agte's using regular 4age's.

I have a 4agze converted to turbo atm in an AE82 with a t3/t04b.
Comparing to my friend's silvia, the t28 has more useable boost earlier on, which you would probably already know. I've gotta say though that the t3 really isn't that slow/unresponsive. Like I still have heaps of fun. Sometimes it's a bit annoying, though I have idle issues and the revs don't seem to want to drop :S but I wouldn't change it. Puts a smile on my face and gives a nice kick in the arse =)
It has traction problems though. Wheelspin galore if you're full boosting through 1st and into 2nd. Into 3rd in the rain lol.
Having said that I've never been in another turbo AE82 (or AE86 which would have similar weight) so I can't really compare but if I was making the setup from scratch I probably wouldn't have gone for such a big turbo.

It's making 135 @ the wheels on 8psi and was quoted 250hp on 16psi (around the 180 at the wheels mark you're looking for).

Hope that helps somehow http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif