PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild

psi_72
21st September 2006, 06:24 PM
hey guys im after some guidence.

ok here goes, i have a 4age that was in my sprinter and it needs a FULL rebuild. needs head and crank machined, new pistons, rods, valves, bearings(what fucked the engine in the first place). basically needs everything!

im not too sure if its worth rebuilding as to fully rebuild it to standard will cost me like over $2000 most likely with all the engineering and machining.

my question is, if i rebuild it, what work can be done thats maybe not soo expensice thats not gonna make it stock. i am contemplating making the head hi comp so i can run boost and put in some forged pistons and what not but im really not to sure.
lets just say i have a bit less than 3g's in my pocket to play with? can i do much with it?

your help will be appretiated. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

thanks in advance

scott

redsprinter
21st September 2006, 07:04 PM
theres not alot with 3gs that you can do to the engine, but i might be wrong. um IMO, if you want to turbo it i go for a gze bare block and go from there. or buy the complete engine package and do the conversion and down the track drop the s/c and bolt on a turbo.

Andor
21st September 2006, 07:27 PM
Oh dear... just buy another engine.

psi_72
21st September 2006, 07:33 PM
theres not alot with 3gs that you can do to the engine, but i might be wrong. um IMO, if you want to turbo it i go for a gze bare block and go from there. or buy the complete engine package and do the conversion and down the track drop the s/c and bolt on a turbo.[/b]

yea i was thinkin bout goin a gze, and later on puttin turbz on, i have a complete pulled apart 4age to use for parts, so im gonna see if i can find a cheap gze

Oh dear... just buy another engine.[/b]

hahah yea kinda my thought, but in another thought i figured i could have a literally brand new engine. just dunno ay. lotta money to spend to look back and think, fuck i shoulda spent it on this or that ect ect.

DavisJD
21st September 2006, 07:37 PM
my advice would be if the budget alows it, rebuild your engine, put some gze pistons in there to lower your compression etc (bassically make it a lil safer for some boost)

Even if you buy another engine, it can be hit and miss on what you get, so could cost you more in the end.
If you rebuild this one, you know it will last a while.

Before you throw the engine back in there, i'd bolting an SC12 supercharger on there, or a cheap turbo setup. Depending what you can do yourself, you can get the parts you would need relatively cheap. But if someones going to be doing all the work, the bill will run up quicky.

Something to think about, for your budget though i wouldnt even attempt a conversion to anything but a 4age with a lil bit of internal work, 4agze or 4agt.

goodluck

psi_72
21st September 2006, 07:44 PM
yea i kno exactly what u mean bout the hit n miss thing. i could be buying anything. this has already run thru my mind, especially bout gettin my one rebuilt and knowing it will last for a very long time.
i just wish i had more money to not care, i might have about 4g's to spend on it, but im tryin to not be stingy and spend well spent money, but the bill will keep goin up n p n up n up no matter what i do. decisions decisions lol thanks for the imput guys, very appreciated

scott