PDA

View Full Version : harnesses

mrmatt
23rd September 2006, 06:09 PM
hey all,

just curious as to how i need to mount my harnesses behind my seat. do i need to get a bar made up to go across the back or what? i just want to do it right the first time so i dont get knocked back on compliance. please post some pics if u have harnesses in ur 86 and there complied. just so i can get an idea of whats involved.

cheers Matt

psychofox
23rd September 2006, 07:01 PM
is this for a street car with harnesses replacing your normal lap/sash seatbelts or for a competition car to meet CAMS requirements?

If it's for CAMS, you need to mount the harnesses so that there is less than a 45degree angle from the horizontal from the harness holes on the seat to the mounting points. See the pic:

http://home.exetel.com.au/psychofox/harnesses.jpg

For street car you'll need to talk to an engineer.

DRFT - 86
25th September 2006, 07:34 PM
Im fairly sure you still need the original belts for street use....
Which is why ur contemplating harness'es right MrMatt...?
as you are having trouble finding OEM seatbelts....

shortround
25th September 2006, 07:40 PM
as you are having trouble finding OEM seatbelts....[/b]

if thats the reason.. I think i have a complete set of the browny-red coloured seatbelts.

darkon
25th September 2006, 11:02 PM
monza 4 point harnesses. the lap belt ends bolt easily into the origional threaded holes for the seatbelts and if you look on that big square lump of metal underneath where ur back seats used to be there'll be a hole thats perfectly in line with ur steering column so u just bolt the 2 shoulder strap ends to that big square thing. and bobs ur uncle u got secure harnesses. mind you the police officer that pulled me over didnt like it... but it shuld be able to get complied. if not then just weld a big square steel plate to it to distribute the weight. u wont be able to do this properly AND retain ur back seats im sorry. but good luck

mrmatt
25th September 2006, 11:05 PM

apparently u dont need the original belts if u get the harnesses complied. well thats just what ive heard.

psychofox
26th September 2006, 11:26 AM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=267690)

apparently u dont need the original belts if u get the harnesses complied. well thats just what ive heard.
[/b]

This is correct. But you have to remove the back seats & back belts and get the passenger capacity of the car changed from 4 to 2, plus get it engineered, it's not a case of "oh I've got harnesses it's fine"

Also they must be ADR harnesses - which means no Sabelt, Sparco, TRS, Willans, etc. Harnesses as they are only SFI or FIA approved. I think RPM Racegear (Revolution Racegear brand) and Autotecnica/Monza both do a 4point ADR Harness.

If you're going done this path because you don't have normal belts and want harnesses I would highly advise against it, you will be up for hundreds of dollars and much headache.

balistic
26th September 2006, 11:26 AM
Harnesses suck on the street! I use one on the track but cant use it on the street as I cant see my blind spots, cant reach the dash/stereo/heater controls etc. Cant even reach something sitting on the passenger seat without loosening the harness! Bad idea for a street car http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

Worst is when your trying to join merging traffic - you need to undo the harness so you can look back over your shoulder at whats coming.

darkon
26th September 2006, 05:59 PM
i dunno what u's r doin with your harnesses but iv got no problems with my harnesses. im 6 foot something with the seat moved back farrer then it shuld be able to go with my harnesses on tight enough to restrict breathing and i can still reach my controlls (only just) and see blind spots

mrmatt
26th September 2006, 06:03 PM
Harnesses suck on the street! I use one on the track but cant use it on the street as I cant see my blind spots, cant reach the dash/stereo/heater controls etc. Cant even reach something sitting on the passenger seat without loosening the harness! Bad idea for a street car http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

Worst is when your trying to join merging traffic - you need to undo the harness so you can look back over your shoulder at whats coming.[/b]

hmm thats a very good point there. cheers for all the info lads much thanks

Matt

balistic
26th September 2006, 06:11 PM
i dunno what u's r doin with your harnesses but iv got no problems with my harnesses. im 6 foot something with the seat moved back farrer then it shuld be able to go with my harnesses on tight enough to restrict breathing and i can still reach my controlls (only just) and see blind spots[/b]

What seat are you using? The WRX seats are like racing buckets - you have very little movement at all with a 4 point harness done up properly. Yep, I cannot reach the stereo controls in the WRX or move my shoulders/torso when the harness is tight so I only have what neck movement is left to see over my shoulder - try looking over your shoulder for traffic in a racing style bucket seat without moving your shoulders/torso! Then what little vision I do have before my neck cramps up is blocked by the b pillar etc..

It may different for another car?

darkon
26th September 2006, 06:34 PM
well im driving a celica ra40 with monza sp2's in it and they'v got the massive butterfly shoulder supports and in my opinion they're the most restrictive (and supportive) seats available... especially when you throw a harness in too

psychofox
26th September 2006, 09:08 PM
well im driving a celica ra40 with monza sp2's in it and they'v got the massive butterfly shoulder supports and in my opinion they're the most restrictive (and supportive) seats available... especially when you throw a harness in too[/b]

Err...you obviously haven't sat in any FIA spec Fibreglass bucket seats of late. Those Monza seats don't exactly hold your hips very well as they are reclinable.

mc68
26th September 2006, 09:38 PM
well im driving a celica ra40 with monza sp2's in it and they'v got the massive butterfly shoulder supports and in my opinion they're the most restrictive (and supportive) seats available... especially when you throw a harness in too[/b]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

yeah ok....

why buy proven race seats like these;

http://www.racetech.co.nz/new_template/seats/products.html

when you can got down to supashit auto and buy a set of the 'most supportive' seats available http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

darkon
26th September 2006, 10:22 PM
they hold my hips fine, its the shoulders that really gets me. i mean all those fibreglass buckets the shoulder supports arent on a steep enough angle to do anything but in those monza ones (iv noticed the same thing in the sparco reclinables actually) u can hug the inside line of a round about doin wateva speed u want n u dont have to brace at all. tell ya what tho i might look into this hip thing lol mabye put a few cushions or something either side of me http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

roadsailing
26th September 2006, 10:50 PM
i tried to sit in a autotechnica someshit seat, my hips didnt fit into it.

anyway, mc68, you have any pricing on those racetech seats? they look the business!

darkon
26th September 2006, 11:22 PM
actually u know those race tech things... there were 2 little weird lookin things.. r those.. booster seats? lol