PDA

View Full Version : Port sequence on fuel tank

v-tec
24th September 2006, 04:53 PM
Previous question

hey all, ive had questions about this before but still trying to figure it out

anyway, apparently becuase i am now using a efi external pump for the new 4age, the fuel in the tank is pressurising and somehow pushing its way up to the charchol line. (this also can happen if the sun heats up the tank and thus pressurises the fuel)
This has resulted in fuel going into my charchol canister and basically pouring out of the realese line underneath the canister (in the chasis rail next to the crossmember)

The temporary releif for this is just note having the fuel cap off, however this will not be good when i get the car out on track or even road and i dont think drilling holes in it will be any different.

its very strange as two of my mates have ae86's that both have 4age's and neither have this problem
My question is, surely other people have had this problem. what have you done to fix this?

Thanks
- Grant[/b]

My question now is down to do i have the lines connected up to the right ports.

As if said in the last post i have the lines connected up in this order from drivers side to passangers.

Feeder - Charchol - Return

Is this right?
i have a feeling that i have the charchol and return mixed up, which would explain why when the tank pressurises (efi) it shoots up the charchol (which i am suggesting is connected to the return port)
i really need to find this out before saturday otherwise ill have to run either no fuel cap or drill some holes or something.

So anyone thats reading this, have you recently played with your fuel lines and know what order the ports go in? As that is EXACTLY the info that i need right now.

Other wise if i do have these lines right i dont understand how some cars pressurise and some are just fine

Orange hachi
24th September 2006, 10:00 PM
hey all, ive had questions about this before but still trying to figure it out

anyway, apparently becuase i am now using a efi external pump for the new 4age, the fuel in the tank is pressurising and somehow pushing its way up to the charchol line. (this also can happen if the sun heats up the tank and thus pressurises the fuel)
This has resulted in fuel going into my charchol canister and basically pouring out of the realese line underneath the canister (in the chasis rail next to the crossmember)

The temporary releif for this is just note having the fuel cap off, however this will not be good when i get the car out on track or even road and i dont think drilling holes in it will be any different.

its very strange as two of my mates have ae86's that both have 4age's and neither have this problem
My question is, surely other people have had this problem. what have you done to fix this?

Thanks

- Grant[/b]

yeah i had exactly the same thing happen to my car today too
not too sure if it becoz i put the surge tank setup wrong or what. fuel is comin out from the charcoal canister
therefore its now fucked
umm btw my engine is not runnin yet. i was just fillin the surge tank by disconnecting the efi pump n leavin the prepump runnin to fill up the surge tank.
after readin ur post im thinkin it might b preassurised in the tank by me doin that

v-tec
24th September 2006, 10:08 PM
im not too sure hey, i do not have a surge tank.
Just got got larger lines to what the previous setup was, however now running a efi pump of course

obvious if its in a enclosed area, fuel pressurises when it heats up. i have not idea what the inside of the tanks look like, but ive been told that the carchol line starts at the top of the tank, so the fuel would have to be doing some freaky shit to be reaching that high??

anyone got a diagram of where the lines go and what they look like inside the tank? or a picture?

i have had the fuel come out twice, started off as when i had done the fuel lines. the line just before entering the charchol canister had been disconnected and i had a steady flow of fuel coming out of there.
Ended up getting a hose to connect to the canister, soon as sun hit the tank fuel poured right out from under the chasiss.

Second time was after all this, i had since drained the whole tank (plug underneath) to prevent all my money litterally soaking into the bitumen. one of my mates then dissconnected the line that goes into the charchol canister and said leave that off just for now and nothing happened for ages. Then i got the car running again, still nothing poured out, then connected that line back up and it started pouring out of the chasis again!!!!

no idea..

Orange hachi
24th September 2006, 10:15 PM
[attachment=7257:attachment]

yeah do u know which one is the charcoal canister line on the tank ?
there is 3 of them
which one is it??

devolutio
24th September 2006, 10:48 PM
have you hooked the hoses up to the right outlets on the tank? if you hooked the breather up to the fuel return, it will be submerged in petrol, and instead of breathing air, it'll breath fuel. fill the tank up most of the way with petrol, grab the fuel return line and blow into it with your mouth (have glass of water handy). see if you can push fuel out the breather.

Orange hachi
24th September 2006, 11:15 PM
have you hooked the hoses up to the right outlets on the tank? if you hooked the breather up to the fuel return, it will be submerged in petrol, and instead of breathing air, it'll breath fuel. fill the tank up most of the way with petrol, grab the fuel return line and blow into it with your mouth (have glass of water handy). see if you can push fuel out the breather.[/b]

oh ok thanks champ
i will try it tomorrow

monkeymajik
25th September 2006, 02:36 PM
I'm running the same pump setup as you v-tec and had the exact same problem. I plugged the charcol canister line and am using a venting fuel cap. No problems since.

im not too sure hey, i do not have a surge tank.
Just got got larger lines to what the previous setup was, however now running a efi pump of course

obvious if its in a enclosed area, fuel pressurises when it heats up. i have not idea what the inside of the tanks look like, but ive been told that the carchol line starts at the top of the tank, so the fuel would have to be doing some freaky shit to be reaching that high??

anyone got a diagram of where the lines go and what they look like inside the tank? or a picture?

i have had the fuel come out twice, started off as when i had done the fuel lines. the line just before entering the charchol canister had been disconnected and i had a steady flow of fuel coming out of there.
Ended up getting a hose to connect to the canister, soon as sun hit the tank fuel poured right out from under the chasiss.

Second time was after all this, i had since drained the whole tank (plug underneath) to prevent all my money litterally soaking into the bitumen. one of my mates then dissconnected the line that goes into the charchol canister and said leave that off just for now and nothing happened for ages. Then i got the car running again, still nothing poured out, then connected that line back up and it started pouring out of the chasis again!!!!

no idea..[/b]

v-tec
25th September 2006, 03:34 PM
yea i figure thats the way to go, as i said i have it all hooked up atm, but just have the cap off till i can get it all sorted.

devolution that sounds like a good idea. I am about 99% certain its all correct tho, all the ports i did are the same as the originals (feeder, return and breather)

its just strange tho that if the breather is hooked up correctly that fuel would pressurise that much (despite it now being efi) that the fuel would come up.

Orange hachi
25th September 2006, 08:35 PM
yep hooked on the wrong one
everything sorted now
thanks every1

v-tec
4th October 2006, 11:18 PM
Im having second thought about whether i did the lines right or not, my car is not around currently its getting some wiring work done, but will check it out when i can.

Can anyone tell me the the order of the fuel tank ports from left to right, if you underneath the car looking up at the ports. (ie when facing that way left being the drivers side and moving right to the passanger)

Cheers

Orange hachi
5th October 2006, 01:08 AM
yeah maybe yours isn't correctly fitted either
check it out
might be surprise what you find

biggo
5th October 2006, 09:24 AM
itd be easier for me to do a diagram but meh.

theres two 'big' lines on the cap and one 'small' line.

one of the big lines is the feed, the other (long bendy one) is the breather. these lines should all match up to the body lines and if they dont then theres trouble.

have you thought about a surge tank? in my setup there is no charcoal canister.

devolutio
5th October 2006, 09:36 AM
fill the tank up most of the way with petrol, grab the fuel return line and blow into it with your mouth (have glass of water handy). see if you can push fuel out the breather.[/b]

v-tec
5th October 2006, 12:32 PM
ok thanks fellas, yea devolution i noted your idea, however my tank is neither full nor able to be filled... as of yet. i will probly be checking it after today.

i need to get underneath the tank and check which ports connect to what, i shall get a photo and show whats connected to what and let you guys know.

Cheers

v-tec
14th October 2006, 02:28 PM
Ok i finally got my camera back and had a chance to trace the lines

From looking under neath the car, and looking back towards the rear end the lines connecting to the ports go as follows from left to right

Feeder - Charchol - Return

I have a feeling that charchol and return are incorrect, this basically becuase i can see i have played with the line that leads to the charchol and whole whole fuel dealy thats going on http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/crazy.gif

i took some pics to try and show how they are but it turned out shithouse...
I have done up a diagram basically showing the sequence they are in

[attachment=7834:attachment]
hopefully thats easy to understand

But yea, is the charchol and return incorrect? if it is, it would explain why fuel is being pushed up the charchol line right? If this isnt it im not sure why its doing all this

v-tec
16th October 2006, 07:12 PM
Bumpish

First post edited... question more direct at what im looking at now.
Anyone that knows what sequence the ports on the tank go on ill love you forever.

Monk
16th October 2006, 07:54 PM
AE86 Manual (100Mb) http://files.aeu86.org/manuals/AE86Manual.pdf
A4-GE Manual (92Mb) http://files.aeu86.org/manuals/4A-GEManual.pdf

stouty
16th October 2006, 08:14 PM
These dont work

Monk
16th October 2006, 08:15 PM
MEh I dunno .. i've lost all my manuals so im out.

mikewestphoto
18th October 2006, 12:10 AM
Is this what your diagram is meant to say?

If so, 1 is feed, 2 is return, 3 is breather.

upgarage
18th October 2006, 12:27 AM
where you get a venting fuel cap and is it dodgy?

v-tec
19th October 2006, 12:13 PM
Is this what your diagram is meant to say?

If so, 1 is feed, 2 is return, 3 is breather.

http://image-cache.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/uploads/post-361-1161090497.jpg[/b]

Yup thank you ken, that is exactly what i am looking for!

i have mine stuffed up then as mine goes like this

[attachment=8117:attachment]

that would definately explain why i have fuel coming up my charchol line hey, if that line is actually connected to where the return line is ment to go and the return line is vice versa.

thank you all for your help