PDA

View Full Version : is it true you have to do emissions test with engine conversion???

HYPNTK
25th September 2006, 08:58 PM
hey guys, not sure if this is the correct forum but i will post in the victoria section too just in case the mods wanna close one of 'em.

as i'm looking for a 20v atm i rang an engineer to find out if theres anything i should know about that i don't know already...

he said that the engine in question (late model 20v black or silver top) wouldn't be much of a hassle to pass engineering certificate....HOWEVER...he said that if its not tracable to an originally australian delivery vehicle then the emission standards are different and i would have to pay $1500 for an emissions test whether i pass it or not and then again if it doesn't pass...

i tried ringing another engineer today but couldn't get through to him so if anyone has any info on this issue or any contacts for engineers in melbourne that would be fantastic coz its freakin me out a bit...does everyone do this emissions test because so many people to jap import engine conversions every day its not funny...surely they don't all pay $1500 for emissions tests.

i would have thought with an appropriate ADM cat converter everything would be sweet just like when they compliance imports but i dunno...i need this clarified before i buy my engine http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

Orange hachi
25th September 2006, 09:40 PM
hey guys, not sure if this is the correct forum but i will post in the victoria section too just in case the mods wanna close one of 'em.

as i'm looking for a 20v atm i rang an engineer to find out if theres anything i should know about that i don't know already...

he said that the engine in question (late model 20v black or silver top) wouldn't be much of a hassle to pass engineering certificate....HOWEVER...he said that if its not tracable to an originally australian delivery vehicle then the emission standards are different and i would have to pay $1500 for an emissions test whether i pass it or not and then again if it doesn't pass...

i tried ringing another engineer today but couldn't get through to him so if anyone has any info on this issue or any contacts for engineers in melbourne that would be fantastic coz its freakin me out a bit...does everyone do this emissions test because so many people to jap import engine conversions every day its not funny...surely they don't all pay $1500 for emissions tests.

i would have thought with an appropriate ADM cat converter everything would be sweet just like when they compliance imports but i dunno...i need this clarified before i buy my engine http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif[/b]

hey mate. i was on a tafe excursion oneday to the rta emission testin place near mascot
anyways they told us that engineers take it there for the customers to get testin done
and if u wanted to get 1 done yourself you can
its free also.
this is in nsw btw
so u can just take it there n test it.
u can go there as many time as u want untill u pass
they will print u a copy then u can take that to the engineers

rthy
25th September 2006, 10:30 PM
my engeneer says he was going to try and pass mine as a normal 4age, and therefore all I need is the original emission controls of the original engine, no tests

HYPNTK
25th September 2006, 11:30 PM
my engeneer says he was going to try and pass mine as a normal 4age, and therefore all I need is the original emission controls of the original engine, no tests[/b]
yeah i suggested that to my engineer too man and he said nope...only way to avoid emission test is that if the engine can in some way be traced back to an australian delivery car...i think i need a second opinion from a engineer like your one who passed it as a ozspec 4age

HYPNTK
25th September 2006, 11:30 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=267729)

i would have thought with an appropriate ADM cat converter everything would be sweet just like when they compliance imports but i dunno...i need this clarified before i buy my engine http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif[/b]

hey mate. i was on a tafe excursion oneday to the rta emission testin place near mascot
anyways they told us that engineers take it there for the customers to get testin done
and if u wanted to get 1 done yourself you can
its free also.
this is in nsw btw
so u can just take it there n test it.
u can go there as many time as u want untill u pass
they will print u a copy then u can take that to the engineers
[/b]

hmmm will find out if i can do this in victoria and shove it in this engineers face

rthy
26th September 2006, 11:25 AM
get another engineer?

HYPNTK
26th September 2006, 06:06 PM
get another engineer?[/b]
bingo

SprinterTRD
26th September 2006, 10:27 PM
You could argue that the 4ag20V has passed emission tests in a PRB clubman.

HYPNTK
27th September 2006, 12:44 AM
You could argue that the 4ag20V has passed emission tests in a PRB clubman.[/b]
oh yeah...