PDA

View Full Version : 4K distributor

asher
27th September 2006, 11:56 PM
Does any one have any useful info/ links on putting distributors with advance curves into a 4AGE? Running carbs, no computer and want an advance curve without spending much. Help appreciated.

Gilly
28th September 2006, 09:57 AM
main reason carb's are avoided aftermarket igntion modules is the norm. speak to John at Raceflo, he was working on a way to get vacuum advance on 4AGE dizy's. in saying that the carb motor he was building was for sale recently so he may have had little luck!

Medicine_Man
28th September 2006, 12:04 PM
From what I have heard, 4K distributers spin the opposite way to 4AGE ones..

Course_Out
28th September 2006, 04:35 PM
I've done a lot of research on this for my motor and it really doesn't seem to be worth the effort. If your on the cheap Jaycar does an igntion module thingy for under $100 but you have to build it yourself and you get no advance. Apparantly there is a way of getting an MSD 6al to run advance without buying the extra module. I will see if i can find the article. If you scout out eBay long enough you will more than likely find an MSD or similar reasonably cheaply.

Hope this helps

jjoeworks
30th September 2006, 03:41 AM
I have a similar issue. I am intending to run 45mm side draft Webers as i already have the setup. Now is it possible to run an AE82 ECU to just control the ignition and advance curve while retaining the bigport distributor and using the carbs. I know it all sound like a lot of work but is it possible.

Course_Out
30th September 2006, 04:48 PM
I have heard that it is possible to run off eth bigport ecu, but you still end up with no ignition advance. Better off fitting a module if your not going to get any advance. From what I have seen on the American sites they only use the bigport ecu if it's already there (but if my car was already efi I wouldn't change to carbs!)

asher
10th October 2006, 06:44 PM
My car cuts out at 6500rpm with the ignition timing sitting on about 35 degrees BTDC. If I advance it further it revs higher but runs poor down low. This is why I need an advance curve.

Course_Out
10th October 2006, 07:45 PM
How are you running your ignition at the moment? Perhaps there is a way or givign it advance with an aftermarket controller of some sort?

slydar
11th October 2006, 05:03 PM
www.delta-digital.com.au

this is the best solution i feel for the carby ignition problem. basically its an ignition only computer that is mapable but not load compensated and will work with your stock 4age dizzy and coil/ignitor.

its aussie made and $300. not too much to pay for such a simple solution.

RobertoX
11th October 2006, 05:26 PM
will the stock computer control ignition if you hook up the relevant sensors? Just without driving injectors.... you'd need to hook the tps and map to your carb setup but might work?

Course_Out
13th October 2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks slydar, that's heaps cheaper than running an msd or similar