PDA

View Full Version : going naked.............

redsprinter
3rd October 2006, 05:21 PM
hey guys just wondering on your thoughts on running trumpet (i think thats what their called) with no air filters on them. if any body has had any sort of problems with them.

Dish
3rd October 2006, 05:25 PM
I don't like the idea for street driving. But if you're at the track then there's not much shit that can be picked up and go through the throttles. I probably would just run socks anyways.

RB20DET_Silvia
3rd October 2006, 05:31 PM
Run socks.....ur a dumb ass if u dont....and run socks on track......if u hit the dirt etc bang suck goes in every thing.

Its not like ur losing any performance by running socks.....and why not run them so u can see how shiny they are when the bonnet is closed all the time?

- Luke

Medicine_Man
3rd October 2006, 05:32 PM
Engines have filters for a reason, Use them..

Billzilla
3rd October 2006, 05:55 PM
Yep, a bad idea. You'd be amazed at the crap that gets sucked down an engine without filters of some sort.

redsprinter
3rd October 2006, 05:56 PM
but they look so kool. lol.

yea i thought so, ive seen some hachii with a plate under the trumpets with no socks.

would that help?

mattysshop
3rd October 2006, 06:01 PM
you do lose a little power through any filter.. on the road it is a good idea to run them.. on the track (circut i mean) i would.. but at the drags.. i wouldn't.. no need at the drags..

i ran mine without anything at the drags..

the plate is a recent addition.. cos the bottom of the filters were getting sprayed with dirt and what not from the road.. and was grubbing up the bottom of the filters..

us_ae86
3rd October 2006, 06:25 PM
Here in the U.S. there are alot of idiots running ITB's with no filtering system what so ever. just plain stupid IMO. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/crazy.gif

E V A N
3rd October 2006, 06:30 PM
Fly screen rules..

Javal
3rd October 2006, 11:00 PM
Stockings bro.

20vtouge86
3rd October 2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah i was just going to use stockings as i don't want to hide my sexy carbon trumpets http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif
[attachment=7604:attachment]

dori_86
4th October 2006, 12:10 AM
mattyshop wouldnt that plate restrict the flow of air to the trumpets as it would create a void of air between the plate and the trumpets (ie, underneath trumpets, above plate, near engine) ??

rick q
4th October 2006, 12:51 AM
you do lose a little power through any filter.. on the road it is a good idea to run them.. on the track (circut i mean) i would.. but at the drags.. i wouldn't.. no need at the drags..

i ran mine without anything at the drags..

the plate is a recent addition.. cos the bottom of the filters were getting sprayed with dirt and what not from the road.. and was grubbing up the bottom of the filters..[/b]

mattyshop where did you get your engine man its sweetas

mattysshop
4th October 2006, 08:55 AM
dori - nah.. doesn't make a difference what so ever.. i made up a box that sat over the whole lot and had a K&N filter on it.. but took it off cos the noise from the quads was to tempting to muffle out!..

grommet - i built it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

quadie
6th October 2006, 07:43 AM
Errrr...running socks CAN really fuck things up, you can easily lose 20-30bhp running socks on ITB's, not saying you will lose that much but on a well set-up head, with good gas flow, you will be down on powerm the socks really disturb the airflow, right as its entering the trumpet, and causes bad turbulence.

On RHD cars, its almost impossible to run a decent airfilter set-up unless you lose the brake master-cylinder. 4age boys in the UK seem to be going crazy for DT1 foam filters off motorcross bikes, I've not had any experince with them, but when I get my ITB's on I plan to run socks on the road, and leave them open on the track, yes some grit and shit will go in, but in my case not enough to cause hugh problems, I may ditch the servo, and possibly relocate the master cylinder on my car for more filter options, In which case I'll make up a nice little airbox, best of both worlds then.

Read this thread, espically posts by BenR, he knows his shit...

Driftworks ITB thread (http://www.driftworks.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9898&page=2&highlight=dt1)

psychofox
6th October 2006, 11:30 AM
on the dyno I picked up about 3kw at the wheels by removing the socks. they make a big difference as said above, they disturb the rolled lip on most trumpets which is where the extra flow is derived from.

ae71neo
6th October 2006, 02:26 PM
Im def. keeping the socks on, if its only 3kw..

Actually im keeping socks on no matter what!

RB20DET_Silvia
6th October 2006, 02:57 PM
love ur setup matty....and i got the trumpets aswell thx champ....fuck there small lol!!!

- Luke

Joel-AE86
6th October 2006, 03:59 PM
What about the unlikely scenario of any fuel combustion or backfiring or whatever back out of your intake causing a filter to catch on fire and burning the car?

It happened to Takai aaages ago when racing on the track. The thing went up in seconds due to some flamage back out the intake.

I run a turbro so I dont have such issuses.