PDA

View Full Version : Swaybar mounts

stouty
4th October 2006, 04:39 PM
How do you locate were to weld swaybar mounts onto a non swaybar mount modet T-18 diff ???

Monk
4th October 2006, 05:45 PM
Lay them side by side.
chop.
weld.

unless anyone knows a more acurate way?

stouty
4th October 2006, 06:53 PM
Anyone else got any ideas

Dish
4th October 2006, 07:39 PM
Bolt in the swaybar, look where the mounts were on the swaybar, mark, weld, swaybar to the mounts. That's how I was planning to do it.

But then again my diff is in the car, not out of it.

RobertoX
4th October 2006, 08:06 PM
Bolt in the swaybar, look where the mounts were on the swaybar, mark, weld, swaybar to the mounts. That's how I was planning to do it.[/b]

yep do this, get the old mounts and bolt them up to the swaybar. Its easier if you get the car on a hoist with the weight of the car on the wheels (so the car is at static ride height when you weld em on).
I think it cost me about $20 to get mine done and it took all of 10 mins

spoon
4th October 2006, 08:29 PM
just discovered my swaqybar mounts were welded on back to front so my sway bar doesnt fit so make sure the bolt hole for the bushing on the diff housing points towards the front of the car. also the mounts sit parallel to the ground and distance out from the centre - just make sure theyre the same each side - doesnt matter too much on distance

Jason
4th October 2006, 08:48 PM
yeah mout the sway bar and see were it goes, just like any fab work

stouty
4th October 2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys. Just to sum it up bolt the new sway bar onto the s series diff as it will be in the correct position then cut the sway bar mounts off and weld them on to the t series diff. Making sure that the mounts are directly under the diff.

Dish
4th October 2006, 09:50 PM
Pretty much. Alot easier if it were in the car while doing it so the swaybar is in perfect position. But just make sure it's all even and the mounts are level and are the right way around, mark, clamp, weld.

stouty
4th October 2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks man. Helps out alot.

Brenton 86
4th October 2006, 10:04 PM
Seriously, put the diffs one infront of the other, sit them upside down resting on the diff housing. Take a measurement from the outside of the mount to the end of the housing. Cut them off the s-series, mark the measurment on the t,and use use ur eye to get the angle, its very easy. You will have the marks on the old diff to check the position.

Using that technique means they will be in the same place as the original items. If you mount up the diff an then line up the swaybar ure just making another variable. Iv done 2 of them and both work perfectly. Also its hard to weld upwards if the cars on a hoist.

Thats my advise, i think ud be crazy not to do it side by side on the ground.

Gilly
4th October 2006, 10:09 PM
i don't think he has both diffs.

i'm measuring mine up tomorrow as my neighbour is welding my AJPS mounts on my diff, only really useful if you are using AJPS mounts but meh.

stouty
4th October 2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks man. Yeh i have a s series and getting a t series hopefully this wk or next i couldnt find the model with sway bar mounts already on.